Ripping DVDs to Hard Drive + How To Learn With TV

General discussion about learning languages
Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Re: Ripping DVDs to Hard Drive + How To Learn With TV

Postby Seneca » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:12 am

Adrianslont wrote:Seneca, I think the only thing I do differently is that I rip to .mkv. I don't know if that will resolve your problem but might be worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am giving it a go. Do .mkv files usually take a while? This first episode has been processing for an hour and a half on handbrake and says it needs another 3+ hours. That doesn't seem right. I chose the H.265 MKV 720p30 options.

I have been having other issues with my laptop. I wonder if this is just another sign it is nearing the end of its lifespan :(
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:10 am

Seneca wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Seneca, I think the only thing I do differently is that I rip to .mkv. I don't know if that will resolve your problem but might be worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am giving it a go. Do .mkv files usually take a while? This first episode has been processing for an hour and a half on handbrake and says it needs another 3+ hours. That doesn't seem right. I chose the H.265 MKV 720p30 options.

I have been having other issues with my laptop. I wonder if this is just another sign it is nearing the end of its lifespan :(

I have done it on my old machine - maybe 8 years old or more and my new machine - pretty powerful and it takes a while on both of them. I can't say I noticed a big difference but I tend to set it up then go do something else - video is pretty demanding on computers. I use H.264 not H.266 but I have no idea what that means!

You have promoted me to start ripping a DVD to see what actually happens - i need some more cards anyway - it is taking approx 2 minutes to rip each 11 minute cartoon on the disc.

I use .mkv because someone, I think emk, said to use it - I don't know if it's crucial. Emk had a thread on the old site which was both interesting in terms using subs2srs for learning and helpful in terms of how to do it technically.

Sounds like you are almost there - maybe .mkv is necessary - maybe someone else can comment on this. Good luck!
0 x

Seneca
Green Belt

Postby Seneca » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:15 am

Adrianslont wrote:
Seneca wrote:

I have done it on my old machine - maybe 8 years old or more and my new machine - pretty powerful and it takes a while on both of them. I can't say I noticed a big difference but I tend to set it up then go do something else - video is pretty demanding on computers. I use H.264 not H.266 but I have no idea what that means!

You have promoted me to start ripping a DVD to see what actually happens - i need some more cards anyway - it is taking approx 2 minutes to rip each 11 minute cartoon on the disc.

I use .mkv because someone, I think emk, said to use it - I don't know if it's crucial. Emk had a thread on the old site which was both interesting in terms using subs2srs for learning and helpful in terms of how to do it technically.

Sounds like you are almost there - maybe .mkv is necessary - maybe someone else can comment on this. Good luck!

The 264 did rip much faster. Unfortunately, I still get the unhandled exception error. Oh well. Thanks for trying to help!
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:33 am

Seneca wrote:Here is where things go a bit off the rails. When I try to choose the mp4 file I created after selecting video, I get an error that says, "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore the error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. The system cannot find the file specified." But the file definitely exists. I can even open and play it just fine in VLC. Any ideas?

The only result on Google with this error related to subs2srs mentions this:

overture2112 wrote:Perhaps cb4960 will step in with a better answer, but the first thing I'd try if I saw an error like that is to make a copy of the file to a simple directory with no spaces/special characters to see if that's an issue.

gaiaslastlaugh wrote:You'll commonly get this error if there are Japanese characters in the path name. Make sure your path is strictly ASCII chars and try it again.

If nothing else works, you could use the help button in the software to send the developer a message. I don't know how active he is though. There's a thread on the same forum talking about him keeping a low profile.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:21 pm

You should try to use EMK's substudy instead. I created a document on how to use it and install it on Windows. It is very easy on Linux or Mac, but a bit fiddly to install on Windows.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =19&t=6360
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:09 pm

If you're still struggling, there's a third option named movies2anki. I haven't tried it myself though.
1 x

Seneca
Green Belt

Postby Seneca » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 pm

Stefan wrote:If you're still struggling, there's a third option named movies2anki. I haven't tried it myself though.

Stefan,
Thanks for the link. I actually found and was already fiddling around with Subtitle Memorize.

This seems very close to working for me. I was able to use the program to create audio and snapshots and a .tsv file.

I am trying to follow the directions to Import to Anki.

I haven't actually used Anki yet, so I made a new profile with my name, right-click that anki deck package file, and open with "anki" where it is then the only deck, named Subtitle Memorize. Then I delete it since I assume that is the "dummy card and deck" referenced in the directions. Then I import the .tsv file I created in Subtitle Memorize. I leave Type as Basic and Deck as Default and follow those couple of directions. At this point, after hitting to proceed, I notice a lot of words in a dialogue box, including where it says "had 9 fields, expected 10" so am unsure if that is an error point that comes up later.

Anywhere, the final step is:
Copy the files inside the generated *_audio and *_snapshots folders into ~/Documents/Anki/Username/collection.media/.

When i go into my Anki download folder, there is not a username or collection.media folder. Should I create a folder with the username of my deck and then another called collection.media and copy-paste those audio and snapshot folders? Or do I copy paste them directly into the main Anki folder? Or am I looking at this wrong?

I feel so close.....I did the "username of my deck and collection.media folder and the audio/snapshot folders pasted into that new folder" thing. But when I go to study, the one side of the card is the timestamp or something of a file and the other shows a question mark on a blue square, which I think implies a missing picture.

So I think I am screwing up the last step from the second link.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt

Postby Stefan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Seneca wrote:Anywhere, the final step is:
Copy the files inside the generated *_audio and *_snapshots folders into ~/Documents/Anki/Username/collection.media/.

When i go into my Anki download folder, there is not a username or collection.media folder. Should I create a folder with the username of my deck and then another called collection.media and copy-paste those audio and snapshot folders? Or do I copy paste them directly into the main Anki folder? Or am I looking at this wrong?

I feel so close.....I did the "username of my deck and collection.media folder and the audio/snapshot folders pasted into that new folder" thing. But when I go to study, the one side of the card is the timestamp or something of a file and the other shows a question mark on a blue square, which I think implies a missing picture.

I reckon "username" is a placeholder for your Windows username. I recall it being included in the long error log you posted in the other thread but my memory is awful and you seem to have removed it. Anyway, it doesn't matter because it isn't located there.

Hold the Windows button and R on your keyboard. The Run dialog box will open. Paste the following text in it and hit enter:

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\Anki2

Or you can open Windows Explorer (file manager) and paste the same line there. The result with either method should be that you're taken to the Anki2 folder.

In it, there'll be two folders. One titled "addons" and one with the same name as your Windows username. Go into the second one and there you'll find the collections.media folder. In the collections.media folder, you should paste the files from *_audio and *_snapshots. Not the folders, only the files from within the folders.

I apologize for the terminology. It's been 10+ years since I used Windows regularly.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”