Ripping DVDs to Hard Drive + How To Learn With TV

General discussion about learning languages
Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Ripping DVDs to Hard Drive + How To Learn With TV

Postby Seneca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 pm

I am studying Italian, and wanted to up my multimedia input. I ordered a few seasons from the golden age of The Simpsons. My reasoning was that I saw these episodes many times over as a kid, so the general plots will be mostly familiar.

I also thought that with it being dubbed into Italian, that the subtiltes would match up very well. This is oddly not the case! There are three subtitle tracks for Italian, but only one seems close to complete. It still doesn't seem to be a word-for-word translation, but is instead (seemingly, since I am still a beginner), a summation of what is being said. I guess the idea is to help a reader get the gist? Anyway, due to the following post and associated readings, my main idea was just to watch The Simpsons with Italian dubbing and Italian subtitles, and well, enjoy Italian!

Stefan wrote:Captioned video for L2 listening and vocabulary learning: A meta-analysis
The overall results of our meta-analysis revealed a large superiority of captioning in that captioning groups significantly outperformed the control group on both listening and vocabulary posttests. Results thus support the claim that captioning helps learners to improve comprehension and fosters vocabulary learning.
Watching Subtitled Films Can Help Learning Foreign Languages
In order to test the potential learning effects derived from watching subtitled media, a group of intermediate Spanish students of English as a foreign language watched a 1h-long episode of a TV drama in its original English version, with English, Spanish or no subtitles overlaid. Before and after the viewing, participants took a listening and vocabulary test to evaluate their speech perception and vocabulary acquisition in English, plus a final plot comprehension test. The results of the listening skills tests revealed that after watching the English subtitled version, participants improved these skills significantly more than after watching the Spanish subtitled or no-subtitles versions. The vocabulary test showed no reliable differences between subtitled conditions. Finally, as one could expect, plot comprehension was best under native, Spanish subtitles. These learning effects with just 1 hour exposure might have major implications with longer exposure times.

I understand the reasoning behind jumping into the water but all scientific data seems to confirm that L2 subtitles benefits listening comprehension more than L1 or no subtitles. Is there anything pointing in the other direction?

I have a few usage questions, and a few technical questions.

Tech first:
Does anyone know an easy/legal way to rip DVDs with subtitles to one's hard drive? I have Windows 10 and an external optical drive. Fortunately, VLC will play this DVD even though it is region 2. However, I don't want to have to hook up the external drive every time I wish to watch the DVDs, and I think it is probably a good idea to make backups now since then I can save them to my hard drive and save the wear and tear on the DVDs themselves.

I do not need full functionality of being able to switch audio-tracks and rotate subtitles, etc....I'd be happy to just rip one version with the Italian dubbing and Italian subtitles. A free and user-friendly version is ideal.

Usage:
For those of you that have learned with watching TV, any tips? Is it sort of like reading where I could do it intensively (pausing each scene and not pressing play until looking up each word) or extensively (just keep it moving and hope my comprehension increases over time while context clues from what I am seeing help me parse things now)? Or are there other ways to do it conceptually too?

I ordered four seasons, so should have a couple dozen hours of material!
2 x

scivola
White Belt
Languages: Esperanto (A2)
French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1800

Re: Ripping DVDs to Hard Drive + How To Learn With TV

Postby scivola » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:39 pm

Seneca wrote:Does anyone know an easy/legal way to rip DVDs with subtitles to one's hard drive?

Handbrake is the software you're looking for. It is open source, and thus free. Just google for "handbrake tutorial" and you'll be on your way.
5 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 pm

Use Handbrake. (Instructions: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-rip-a-dvd- ... er-5809765)
Choose the subtitles during the ripping process in the software.

For the subtitle, these are files with an srt format (you can 'find' these or use SubRip to create them from your DVD).
If you don't want to use subtitle files Handbrake will burn them directly into the video during extraction. Done.

I tend to watch on my computer and pause, return if there is something I don't get. I also write down a few sentences if I find expressions interesting or useful.

Edit: beat me by seconds.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Seneca wrote:Does anyone know an easy/legal way to rip DVDs with subtitles to one's hard drive?

Depending on where you live there might not be a legal way (regardless of whether or not you own the DVD). The free bit already got covered though.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:01 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Use Handbrake. (Instructions: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-rip-a-dvd- ... er-5809765)

Possible user error on my part, but Handbrake for me gets very cranky about DRM and refuses to cooperate. Have tried it on several different DVDs to no avail.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:21 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Use Handbrake. (Instructions: http://lifehacker.com/how-to-rip-a-dvd- ... er-5809765)

Possible user error on my part, but Handbrake for me gets very cranky about DRM and refuses to cooperate. Have tried it on several different DVDs to no avail.

This means that libdvdcss probably isn't properly installed or working on your machine.
https://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to ... -rip-them/
3 x

Seneca
Green Belt

Postby Seneca » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 pm

Handbrake is quite an amazing piece of software, and that lifehacker page is all I needed. It still takes a bit of time, so I only ripped the first DVD. However, I just watched the first episode in its entirety. What a fun way to get some Italian exposure! :D

I already learned a useful phrase: "lasciamo stare"

Thanks for everyone's help!
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm

Seneca wrote:Handbrake is quite an amazing piece of software, and that lifehacker page is all I needed. It still takes a bit of time, so I only ripped the first DVD. However, I just watched the first episode in its entirety. What a fun way to get some Italian exposure! :D

You are welcome. It IS a fun way to get exposure and really I'm finding study Portuguese via Daredevil episodes a sinful pleasure. Now that you've ripped the file you can also later use sub2srs if you want to make Anki cards. Or if you need inexpensive dubs - Netflix has a lot of Italian content.
2 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:32 pm

I searched long and hard for subtitles that actually match exactly the spoken word and have always totally failed!

I also wanted to see cartoons as the dubbing is better than movies with real people cos the mouths are cartoons!
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

Seneca
Green Belt

Postby Seneca » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:59 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Seneca wrote:Handbrake is quite an amazing piece of software, and that lifehacker page is all I needed. It still takes a bit of time, so I only ripped the first DVD. However, I just watched the first episode in its entirety. What a fun way to get some Italian exposure! :D

You are welcome. It IS a fun way to get exposure and really I'm finding study Portuguese via Daredevil episodes a sinful pleasure. Now that you've ripped the file you can also later use sub2srs if you want to make Anki cards. Or if you need inexpensive dubs - Netflix has a lot of Italian content.

How would I do that? Are you thinking something like what is at this link? This seems quite labor intensive, so I'd want to know if this is what was meant before taking the time!
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”