Study on Language Improvement with Native Materials

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Study on Language Improvement with Native Materials

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:22 am

smallwhite wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I'm posting a draft tracking sheet here, for comments.

rdearman wrote:Any other sugestions?

I spend ~25% of my desk time on admin work and paperwork. Do I input those, and how?
* Formatting and filing downloaded material
* Googling for learning material, reading Amazon reviews
* Splitting, combining or rearranging notes and vocabulary decks
* etc

Oops, forgot that. I'll add one field "organising material" activity to group all of that. I don't think the study is about different types of admin methods, but I can break it out if needed.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:09 pm

Thanks, rdearman, I hope I didn't sound too unpleasant, I apologize if I did, I didn't mean to!
Thanks for answering my questions, it is now much clearer!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:21 pm

I just got the study guidelines and I must say, my first thought is :shock: :shock: :shock:

Study guidelines wrote:- Read one book per week of at least 50k words and write a summary.
- Watch at least 2 hours of video in the target language per day.
- Listen to at least 1 hour of audio in target language per day.
- Create and complete at least one deck of subs2srs flashcards.

I don't see how I could possibly do that in Czech. I'm supposed to read a book every week in Czech?! If I could do that, I wouldn't need to learn Czech, I'd already know it. Also, am I supposed to write the summary in Czech too? I thought this was the "lazy fist" method. Are you sure you have the right definition of "lazy"? I'm not sure I'm actually awake enough hours in the day to study even one language like this. Though if I could manage to study that many hours per day, I'm sure I'd be doing pretty well no matter what kind of study technique I used.

I assume LWT is allowed for reading? I was just looking at my Star Trek books and one of those is a little longer than your minimum for one week and the only word I think I know is "planet." I'm not sure how to go about reading any book without a whole lot of support.

Seriously though -- you said these were "stretch-goals." What are the real goals? Goals that are impossibly high are just demotivating.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I just got the study guidelines and I must say, my first thought is :shock: :shock: :shock:

Study guidelines wrote:- Read one book per week of at least 50k words and write a summary.

I don't see how I could possibly do that in Czech. I'm supposed to read a book every week in Czech?! If I could do that, I wouldn't need to learn Czech, I'd already know it. Also, am I supposed to write the summary in Czech too? I thought this was the "lazy fist" method. Are you sure you have the right definition of "lazy"? I'm not sure I'm actually awake enough hours in the day to study even one language like this. Though if I could manage to study that many hours per day, I'm sure I'd be doing pretty well no matter what kind of study technique I used.

I assume LWT is allowed for reading? I was just looking at my Star Trek books and one of those is a little longer than your minimum for one week and the only word I think I know is "planet." I'm not sure how to go about reading any book without a whole lot of support.

Seriously though -- you said these were "stretch-goals." What are the real goals? Goals that are impossibly high are just demotivating.

The real goal is to do as much as you can! You're not going to be able to do this at the beginning of the study, I get that. However, hopefully by the end of month 5, you'll be able to read 50k words per week easy.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we must not forget some people are starting this study with a B2 level in a language, so for them 50k words shouldn't be too much bother. So the goals are there for both beginners and intermediate participants. But I'm just asking you to do as much as you can and stretch yourselves.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:07 pm

OK, I spent about 12-14 hours writing up a 30 page document on how to create subs2srs cards in anki. I've covered software installation, and just about everything you can think of. I've installed on a new Windows PC and took screen shots of every step. I've sent out to a couple of people for review, but I'll be sending it to participants soon so you can create some decks.

I'll also publish a link for people to use here who aren't interested in the study but want to know how to get it all done using windows. I have to say it is WAYYYYYYY... easier to do this on Linux.

Also if anyone is interested in turning this into a wikipedia article it would be nice to have on our wiki.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:33 pm

rdearman wrote:I have to say it is WAYYYYYYY... easier to do this on Linux.

Are there instructions for Linux/(Ubuntu?) as well? (I have Ubuntu on a machine which I plan to use for this Anki/DVD project)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 pm

I will add them. The installation is easier. Sudu apt get...
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:33 am

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:I just got the study guidelines and I must say, my first thought is :shock: :shock: :shock:

The real goal is to do as much as you can! You're not going to be able to do this at the beginning of the study, I get that. However, hopefully by the end of month 5, you'll be able to read 50k words per week easy.

EDIT: I forgot to add that we must not forget some people are starting this study with a B2 level in a language, so for them 50k words shouldn't be too much bother. So the goals are there for both beginners and intermediate participants. But I'm just asking you to do as much as you can and stretch yourselves.

Just a question - how are you going to do an analysis of the data if people's methods, within the two larger groups, are so wildly different and when there is a sheer lack of structure (which is what it seems like some people are looking for)? Yes I see that you have some guidelines in place, but they are pretty broad, as can be shown in your idea of a stretch goal. It also just doesn't seem sustainable for a lot of people. I understand that you've mentioned that it's okay if people don't last the 6 months, however from what appears to be your methodology (as it's been shared in this thread), it seems like you're setting yourself up for getting data that is going to be very hard to draw any concrete conclusions from. The ambiguity is overcomplicating things.

I have next to no stakes in this as I'm not a participant, but I am in a research group and am used to looking at learner data, though very very different data than what you'll be collecting. In our case we've never looked longitudinal data and have thus never looked at things from a perspective of, "how has XYZ changed after ABC months?", but I am used to looking at different sets of data to see if there is a trend. In our case, while the groups we're studying have various diverse features, they are playing the same game/doing the same tasks and thus we have a built in set of parameters. We also take an ethnomethodological viewpoint and are using conversation analysis so again, very different.
If you were looking at this qualitatively then I think I wouldn't have nearly as many reservations about this, but I'm not clear that that's what you're doing (though I admit to not reading to the very end of this thread as of 5:30pm PST so maybe you are).
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:13 am

zenmonkey wrote:
Systematiker wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I'm posting a draft tracking sheet here, for comments.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I've added the request for "attention" to be included.

Please consider that this is a draft tracking sheet. It will be modified based on input (particularly rdearman's).
In particular, take a look at the list of activities and let me know of activities you use, that you see missing.

You may want an activity specified for L-R stuff, broken down into which combination of L1-L2 or just the L2 audio with L2 text. Especially the latter will form a part of what I'll do, as I'll try the films and subs2srs thing, but I'll probably spend more time reading familiar text while listening to audio of the same.

I've add:
L-R - Listening L2
L-R - Listening L2 reading L1
L-R - Listening - reading L2
L-R - Listening - reading L2 and mimicking
L-R - non specified / mixed

Is that ok?

slightly delayed - yes great, that's even more versatile than I had first thought and will be quite good
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:01 pm

Can I track my time offline with MS Excel or will I have to use Google Sheets online?

Can I know who in the other Group I'll be compared with? Username if LLorg member, language background if not LLorg member, maybe.

There are very detailled instructions of what people in Study Group have to do as they read or watch: keep pausing video/audio to repeat every sentence they understand, etc. Should things like that be tracked separately from normal watching/listening? Or does it actually not matter whether people do it or not? I assume every single instruction in the pdf is significant and will have to be tracked or else why give the instruction.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “General Language Discussion”