General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Study on Language Improvement with Native Materials

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 am

Started!
OK, I've just sent out an email to everyone who emailed rick@anki-tv.co.uk and asked to participate, or people who PM'ed me and gave me your email address. This email is just the waiver form required for the study giving me permission to use the data I collect, etc, etc. If you didn't get it there are a couple possible reasons.

1. I sent it to you as a BCC and your email service provider blocked it or put it into junk mail
  2. I got the wrong address
  3. You PM'ed me but never gave me your email address (you know who you are)
  4. You expressed an interest, but didn't send an email to the above address, or PM me.

If you didn't get it, but wanted to participate, then email rick@anki-tv.co.uk and ask for the consent form. I'll reply directly and will hopefully stop junk mail issues.

I still have a lot of work to do, and hope to have setup a mailing list for both groups, plus write up all the instructions and create tracking material etc., so be patience with me.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:59 pm

rdearman wrote:Just wanted to lay out a timetable so people are aware.

17th-27th --- nothing, I'm on holiday.
28th June - 17th July --- I'm going to write up the instructions for the subs2srs, write the questionnaire, create the tracking spreadsheet, any other admin work - like creating a google drive, mailing list, etc.
29th-30st July --- send out list of tests to participants and collect the initial data. (a weekend)
31st of July --- Start
31st January 2018 --- Get everyone to do the second test, and collect and collate all the data.
February 2018, --- publish results

When's the last day to sign up?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:11 pm

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:Just wanted to lay out a timetable so people are aware.

17th-27th --- nothing, I'm on holiday.
28th June - 17th July --- I'm going to write up the instructions for the subs2srs, write the questionnaire, create the tracking spreadsheet, any other admin work - like creating a google drive, mailing list, etc.
29th-30st July --- send out list of tests to participants and collect the initial data. (a weekend)
31st of July --- Start
31st January 2018 --- Get everyone to do the second test, and collect and collate all the data.
February 2018, --- publish results

When's the last day to sign up?

31st of July 2017
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rissiandroses
Languages: English (N), Spanish, Italian, Chinese, Japanese

Postby rissiandroses » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:55 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Has anyone thought of doing this in a language with another character set? (I just checked an srt file in Cantonese, and it looks really strange)

I could defiantly spend my time watching Bollywood movies and dramas in Hindi. I feel like I would have to learn the script before starting this though. Would that be allowed?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:18 pm

rissiandroses wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:Has anyone thought of doing this in a language with another character set? (I just checked an srt file in Cantonese, and it looks really strange)

I could defiantly spend my time watching Bollywood movies and dramas in Hindi. I feel like I would have to learn the script before starting this though. Would that be allowed?

It would depend on which group you were in. But learning the script doesn't appear to be a problem with either group.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Perhaps the info is hidden somewhere in this thread... Assume I have a number of DVDs/podcasts/books and I can find subs (or transcripts) - am I allowed to use, say, Google translate (or the Gdrive spreadsheet command which Peter "Rhinospike" Carroll once suggested) for the sentences?
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

cravinghummus
Languages: English native, dabbled in a ton

Postby cravinghummus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:36 am

hi all, I'm a newbie here. I'm interested in the project and sent an email.

After reading the thread, I'm still confused on what resources aren't good for the test group.

you mention that assimil isn't good for the test group which makes sense because it has the grammar notes. But what about materials like Glossika? in a way, its similar to sub2srs because you get pairs of native audio with the TL text and NL translation.

My impression is that: if grammar study is not allowed in the test group, then we basically have to intuit grammar ourselves, right? so then why are parallel texts not allowed? They don't explicitly teach you the grammar, and you could still theoretically break them up into single sentences like sub2srs.

Are translations (of full sentences) into your NL okay for the test group? You mention that dictionaries are okay for translating for single words. As long as we are not DELIBERATELY learning grammar but rather seeing patterns in the translation?

What about languages where there are declensions of words, like polish? Is looking up the accusative form of a noun considered grammar study since it was not obtained by observing it in native materials
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:15 am

rdearman wrote:Study on Language Improvement with Native Materials
... a study on language improvement using native materials vs other methods.
... the test group (using only native materials & anki)

rdearman wrote:So the test group restrictions are:
- Only use native material (or translations into TL) this means you can use things like:
  • TV, Film, or Podcasts in TL.
  • TL sub-titles
  • Dictionary for looking up word meanings
  • Books written in TL
  • SRS to review words learned or looked up. This could be Anki, Paper, wordlists, etc. but ONLY decks or cards created by yourself.
  • Use subs2srs to create at least 1 deck to review and learn the dialogue of a film or TV show.
  • EDIT: Language exchanges with native speakers are allowed, as long as it is conversation not tutoring.

Thread has only been talking about "native materials" but emails talk about "massive input of Native Materials", "to consume massive amounts of TL material" and "180-250 hours of viewing/listening".

Is "massive" a requirement for the test group? What is the minimum viewing and listening required?
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

cravinghummus
Languages: English native, dabbled in a ton

Postby cravinghummus » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:17 am

i just read the original emk thread since your reply to Brun Ugle said it would be similar in nature to that method.

in the study, he doesnt talk much about production and in this thread, i only see active production mentioned in shadowing. it seems like this study is more on how it affects listening comprehension/passive understanding?
0 x

Seneca
Green Belt
Languages: English (N); 日本語 (beginner)

Postby Seneca » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:02 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Perhaps the info is hidden somewhere in this thread... Assume I have a number of DVDs/podcasts/books and I can find subs (or transcripts) - am I allowed to use, say, Google translate (or the Gdrive spreadsheet command which Peter "Rhinospike" Carroll once suggested) for the sentences?

What is the Gdrive spreadsheet command and what does it do?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”