Study on Language Improvement with Native Materials

General discussion about learning languages
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Study on Language Improvement with Native Materials

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:40 am

smallwhite wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
smallwhite wrote:I would have been too ashamed to write that in public if I were you.

Life came in the way.

Or to write that.

On the other hand, humility is admirable. A great number of problems and conflict come from pride and an unwillingness to admit fault or take an honest look at oneself and one's motives. It takes a wise person, a realist, an honest person, a person who see's the limitations of egocentricity to practice humility regularly.
5 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:06 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:On the other hand, humility is admirable. A great number of problems and conflict come from pride and an unwillingness to admit fault or take an honest look at oneself and one's motives. It takes a wise person, a realist, an honest person, a person who see's the limitations of egocentricity to practice humility regularly.

Exactly. If I prioritised myself and my hobbies over fulfilling an obligation, it's bad me not bad life. It takes humility to recognise it and to admit it.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:03 am

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:On the other hand, humility is admirable. A great number of problems and conflict come from pride and an unwillingness to admit fault or take an honest look at oneself and one's motives. It takes a wise person, a realist, an honest person, a person who see's the limitations of egocentricity to practice humility regularly.

Exactly. If I prioritised myself and my hobbies over fulfilling an obligation, it's bad me not bad life. It takes humility to recognise it and to admit it.

Initially I had misunderstood your angle smallwhite, but I then realised this after posting my comment. I once again assumed, and i shouldn’t, especially since I’ve assumed wrongly numerous times with you before.

The reason I raise this, is that your reply to my comments on humility might unintentionally make my comments appear as a dig/attack at Jeff, depending on the reader’s perception. I was actually alluding to the fact that I found his comments to be humble. So, for the record, I was praising Jeff, not pointing out a flaw, but I reserve the right to be incorrect. Diplomacy huh, who would’ve thought a PM had such a skill. This PM, does mean it, however.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:56 am

Jeff's good. He's one of the top 3 amongst 23. Humble or not, you can't say here. He said the delay was life's fault, not his, so he wasn't admitting to any fault, I suppose.

Meanwhile I'll continue my deep breaths and the counting. Maybe we'll see a few apologies from people before I count to 10,000.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:29 pm

smallwhite wrote:Jeff's good. He's one of the top 3 amongst 23. Humble or not, you can't say here. He said the delay was life's fault, not his, so he wasn't admitting to any fault, I suppose.

Meanwhile I'll continue my deep breaths and the counting. Maybe we'll see a few apologies from people before I count to 10,000.

To the extent that my withdrawal contributed to the situation in which you worked to the end without knowing that the study wasn't going to be viable, I apologize.
1 x

JayRS152
Languages: English (N); Japanese (ultra-beginner)

Postby JayRS152 » Thu May 10, 2018 11:24 pm

Humility means that I have to believe that I deserve eternal torture because I'm evil. It also means it would be immoral of me to learn languages.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”