New international language: Rodinian

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: New international language: Rodinian

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:29 am

Rodiniye wrote:To finish the Sapir-Whorf and other mentions... this project was part of my dissertation in one of the best unis in Spain and it got 99% mark. It included all this theory. Do you think expert people would give a 99/100 if things were made up or just wrong? or if they did not make sense? then think twice, it is all I have to say about this arrogance some people have sometimes.

That's a major fallacy. You aren't addressing the points brought up but attempting to say they are right because they are referenced by an authority on something. It's called an appeal to authority.

Also whether i'm arrogant or not does not matter. That's an ad hominem (and ironic, given the quote above). Please do not use those type of attacks. Address the actual points brought up.

If you are such an author of Sapir-Whorf you'd actually know that its relevancy is highly debated and you'd at least use the right Indian language group.
6 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 am

leosmith wrote:
Rodiniye wrote:Anything else? What do you guys think?

I like a challenge - make it as hard as possible please. I like the 3 genders, but how about a Chinese script with multiple pronunciations per character like Japanese? 9 tones like Cantonese. 18 cases like Hungarian. Special verbs of motion and aspects like Russian. I think you've got the "no media, no native speakers and no culture" side nicely covered. Keep up the good work! :lol:

...and hundreds of local dialects like Norwegian, liaison like French, over-complicated adjective endings like German... then we are getting somewhere.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:39 am

And just so we are clear - I think it is great that you developed your own language and that you focused 11 years on it. Any language experience or dedication gets my thumbs up even when it is something that I'm not particularly interested in (conlangs).

The aspect of 'universal languages' that do interest me are socio-economic, growth and decline (like ido, volapük, spokil, etc.) and the gaps between ideological ideas and functional implementation. I wish you luck in your endeavour.

Having said that, you really haven't addressed the criticisms to your initial promise of universality and unambiguity of language - these are promises that seem quite impossible unless you begin to really address the points made here rather than defend your current construct with 'whataboutisms' and various fallacies.

For example, if I were to construct a language with the scope of 'internationality' I'd likely work with a script that either promotes readability across various world ethnic groups and not settle on 'latin script' without some deeper justification. Clearly the sum of the top 10 languages (and your choice of vocabulary) would suggest that this is done from the author's preference rather than universality. That's perfectly fine - at least admit it. Or accept that there are limitations to any effort in universality. Perhaps the thing to address is adding support for multiple writing systems - allowing someone who writes Mandarin to rapidly script out the sounds of your language and having 1 to 1 sound equivalencies.

Personally, I'd probably catalog the dozens, if not hundreds of auxiliary language efforts and identify weaknesses and strengths and go from there. But to each their own.

But be careful - how you address people in these discussions will impact willingness of people to invest time and effort to learn and use your language.
5 x

Rodiniye
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish, English, Italian, German, Rodinian

Postby Rodiniye » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:55 am

First of all, I think I have been nice and tried to answer everything politely. It is just that some people were being repeatedly irritating and not having a good or professional attitude or respect. When respect was lost, I needed to defend myself, and I did it politely too. But I do not want to go down that line. You are all nice people and all comments were useful, and if you thought I did not have the right attitude all I have to say is that I apologize. As I said, I have been trying to answer everything. The last thing I have to say is you were right about the Hopi, Hopi was the language that did not have mention to "time", it was included in my dissertation as well and I got the wrong name. Can I apologize again and can we all be nice to each other? :)

Apart from that, thanks for all your answers, every single comment has been very helpful.

I have made a proposal (here and in other places), and I have to say I am impressed that actually many people did not want any modifications at all. But still I have learned a lot from these 4 days or so of existance and I have come to the following conclusion: In the following days, Rodinian will have the following changes:
- elimination of accented letters: ŝ, ê, û.
- elimination of sounds /y/, /ø/, /ç/, /ʤ/.
- eliminaton of experimental aspect.

Now! I have taken everything onboard guys and I thank you very much. There has been a concept appearing from time to time, which is "only keep the complexities that make the language richer and more interesting". And well, all of the above might not be necessary.

Apart from these, the website will be simplified and a few other changes made, and page numbers added!

Again, thank you very much. Hopefully I will have everything ready very soon.

Any other suggestions are still welcome, and let's be nice to each other! otherwise this does not make any sense.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:25 am

What zenmonkey said. Your dedication is impressive. People write books or make music albums. They may be the worst books you've ever read or indeed the worst songs you've ever listened to, but I applaud the efforts. I've only read the posts in this thread and not looked at your language (yet). Anyone can create any language they want. In another ten years we'll know if there are ten speakers or ten thousand.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:27 am

Rodiniye wrote:First of all, I think I have been nice and tried to answer everything politely. It is just that some people were being repeatedly irritating and not having a good or professional attitude or respect.

Ok, but consider that you've come into a group containing many experienced language learners, most of whom are highly educated (i.e. have university degrees) and some of whom are linguists and language teachers by trade, and you have dismissed valid debate by calling yourself an "expert" and referring to your marks at university. A high mark doesn't mean you're right, just that you have demonstrated a broad understanding of the theory and have argued your case well.

Now to go back to the same point you and me have been discussing, but which I don't think you've really got to the bottom of: gender.

You'll be familiar, I assume, with Myers-Scotton's notion of markedness.

When it comes to biological gender vs neuter, which is the unmarked choice in Rodinian? Coming from within the language, there is no clear criteria for identifying one choice as marked and the other as unmarked, so for someone coming from a language with strong gender (eg Spanish) the natural (hence unmarked) choice would be to use the gendered forms, an the natural choice for someone from a language without gender would be to use the neuter form.

Already, we have scope for dialectisation.

But what happens for speakers of weakly gendered language? In English, for example, we have gendered pronouns and a small (and decreasing) set of gendered nouns ( prince vs princess is universal, actor vs actress is disappearing ). Are English speakers going to use gendered pronouns and ungendered nouns? Possible, but unlikely. Instead, I think English speakers would gravitate towards using the gendered forms as the unmarked choice, making neuter the marked choice.

The reason people don't use neologous gender-neutral forms in English or Spanish is that they're a marked choice, because they diverge from norm. To be non-discriminatory, I would argue that the neuter form would have to be the unmarked form, so that gender marking would be a marked choice, and discouraged by the language where not necessary; this is why I suggested having gender marking as a clitic that is added after the neuter form -- the neuter form is then a "base" and universal. It becomes unmarked, because you're always going to say it, and the gender marking becomes marked because most of the time your meaning is clear before you say it.

Consider subject pronouns in Spanish -- including them in a clause with a verb is a marked choice, and that markedness is what gives them their emphatic/contrastive force.

Now imagine Spanish if there was no marked/unmarked distinction between a clause with a subject pronoun and one without. How would anyone know which one to say? It would be an unstable state, and very quickly Spanish-speaking populations would settle on one or the other. That would possibly mean dialectisation (in the Basque Country, prodrop due to Basque being prodrop; in South America, whatever the local languages do) or just everyone going the same. With Rodinian, as I have previously said, I would confidently predict dialectisation.
4 x

SkyWaldem
Languages: Swedish (native)
English (advanced)

Postby SkyWaldem » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:38 pm

Rodiniye wrote:
Rodinian speakers? it has been published 3 days ago... Myself? I can say a few things correctly yes, I know all the grammar of course and I could have a conversation. Of course I do not know by heart the 11.000 entries.

Do you mean that you haven't shared the language with anyone for the 11 years you've been working on it?

I you are serious about creating an international auxiliary language, I suggest you should have sought input from other people from the very start, and continuously as you developed the language.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Rodiniye wrote:...Hopi was the language that did not have mention to "time", it was included in my dissertation as well and I got the wrong name. Can I apologize again and can we all be nice to each other?

Absolutely. :)

Now, I don't want to diverge this thread off its main topic but are you aware that the idea that Hopi does not have a 'sense of time' has been addressed and it now well established that they do have concepts of time in their language. Look at Malotki or Gipper papers of the Hopi language and they clearly addresses the issues brought out by Whorf.

Malotki, Ekkehart (1983). Hopi Time: A Linguistic Analysis of the Temporal Concepts in the Hopi Language. Trends in Linguistics. Studies and Monographs.

Gipper, Helmut (1972). Gibt es ein sprachliches Relativitätsprinzip? Untersuchungen zur Sapir-Whorf-Hypothese.
2 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
Rodiniye wrote:To finish the Sapir-Whorf and other mentions... this project was part of my dissertation in one of the best unis in Spain and it got 99% mark. It included all this theory. Do you think expert people would give a 99/100 if things were made up or just wrong? or if they did not make sense? then think twice, it is all I have to say about this arrogance some people have sometimes.

That's a major fallacy. You aren't addressing the points brought up but attempting to say they are right because they are referenced by an authority on something. It's called an appeal to authority.

I'm not really on one side or the other in the debate about this language, and I've not looked at the language itself (though I've read this thread), but just because this is one of those things that bugs the philosophy prof in me...

Appeal to (or argument from) authority is only a fallacy if it's a non-authority in the matter at hand. It would be an informal fallacy if the expert in question were an expert on something else, but it's a valid argument for probability if a subject-matter expert is speaking to it.

Now, as Cainntear has pointed out, the marks at university may be an issue of broad knowledge and a well-argued standpoint. I just wanted to chip in on fallacies.

Carry on :D
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:35 pm

Systematiker wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:

I'm not really on one side or the other in the debate about this language, and I've not looked at the language itself (though I've read this thread), but just because this is one of those things that bugs the philosophy prof in me...

Appeal to (or argument from) authority is only a fallacy if it's a non-authority in the matter at hand. It would be an informal fallacy if the expert in question were an expert on something else, but it's a valid argument for probability if a subject-matter expert is speaking to it.

Now, as Cainntear has pointed out, the marks at university may be an issue of broad knowledge and a well-argued standpoint. I just wanted to chip in on fallacies.

Carry on :D

Sorry, but I believe it remains an informal fallacy even within the body of knowledge of an authority. At least that is what Locke meant when addressing someone to respect and submit to an authority to accept the conclusion. While an authority might have a probability of truth, it lacks evidence of the actual authority's knowledge, particularly when it is an anonymous entity and/or as a body of 'wise men' [sic], nor has that body or anonymous individual been shown to actually support the conclusion at hand. These are broad-stroke appeals to anonymous authority because the OP got good grades on a thesis, not because of a statement directly from the horse's mouth.

(please to note my name dropping there. ;) )
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”