L'allocution en mohawk qui a fait le tour du monde

General discussion about learning languages
Speakeasy

L'allocution en mohawk qui a fait le tour du monde

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:31 pm

I hesitated a bit before posting the link to this article in the "La Presse" but, given the encouraging story that it reveals, I thought that some members might appreciate it. Apparently, this event was widely reported in media around the world. I tried locating versions of it English, but came up empty-handed. Perhaps someone will have greater success and will post a comparable link.

La Presse: L'allocution en mohawk qui a fait le tour du monde
http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/politique/politique-canadienne/201706/09/01-5106130-lallocution-en-mohawk-qui-a-fait-le-tour-du-monde.php

My decision to use the title of the article as the subject of this discussion thread should not be interpreted as a sign of willful contempt for the Forum Rules, as I did so merely to arouse the reader's curiosity.
3 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Re: L'allocution en mohawk qui a fait le tour du monde

Postby Stefan » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:41 pm

English translation
I stand here to honour the Mohawk language and I pay my respects to their people. Let us pay respects to the Creator for everything he has given to us that we may live peacefully. I am proud to stand here and speak to you in the Mohawk language. Hopefully it will help us become better friends. I also hope that we will hear the Mohawk language a lot more often here and that more Canadians will be proud to use it to speak to one another.

News article about the event
A Quebec member of parliament has addressed Canada’s House of Commons in Mohawk, in what is believed to be the first time the indigenous language has been used officially in the legislature since it was established in 1867. Miller, a non-Indigenous politician from Quebec, has been studying Mohawk since the beginning of the year at a language program.

“The elders will tell you that within a generation there will only be four or five [indigenous] languages that will survive if we don’t do anything,” he said. “That stuck with me and I decided to learn a few words and see where it goes.” “The symbolism is key,” he said, “but we have to do more. It’s important that we are respectful and knowledgeable about their language.”

Other languages have been spoken in parliament before, including Cree. Last month, the Winnipeg MP Robert Falcon-Oullette – who is First Nation – addressed the House in the language, decrying a spate of violence against indigenous women in Manitoba – and also taking issue with the fact he had to interpret his own speech. Falcon-Oullette said the lack of interpreters for indigenous language speakers amounted to an infringement of parliamentary rights.

Guardian
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”