Selecting a Dictionary: L1, L2, L1/L2

General discussion about learning languages
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Selecting a Dictionary: L1, L2, L1/L2

Postby reineke » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:03 pm

For my first dictionary I would purchase the biggest, most reputable one-way L2>L1 bilingual dictionary. Everything else can wait/is optional.I've never walked around holding a pocket dictionary of any sort. Does wonders for fluency.
3 x

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Re: Selecting a Dictionary: L1, L2, L1/L2

Postby William Camden » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:24 am

reineke wrote:For my first dictionary I would purchase the biggest, most reputable one-way L2>L1 bilingual dictionary. Everything else can wait/is optional.I've never walked around holding a pocket dictionary of any sort. Does wonders for fluency.

It's a matter of learning styles and perhaps lifestyle. I tend to walk around a bit and a pocket dictionary might well be in a pocket. Or I might have a small backpack and I might then have in it pocket dictionaries or even slightly larger dictionaries in more than one language, as well as notebooks, exercise books, index cards/vocabulary cards, nestling next to the bottle of water or other non-language paraphernalia. Sometimes the pocket dictionary is a little like the blanket is to Linus in Peanuts, but sometimes I want to actually say something and need to look up the word in preparation.
3 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

Return to “General Language Discussion”