Need learners of Dutch!

General discussion about learning languages
guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Need learners of Dutch!

Postby guiguixx1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi everyone!

Some time ago, I was looking for Dutch speakers here to help me create learner material (writing short stories in Dutch). After much thought I am coming back with another request, which would be extremely useful for my project and for all learners of Dutch.

As a reminder I am working on a language learning website where I give language learning tips to French speaking pupils learning languages (although I'm translating my articles), I also explain Dutch grammar with exercices and correction, I give reading materials that I've made myself for Dutch and I make a database of learning ressouces for a bunch of languages.

Regarding the reading material, I make very short stories (between 250 and 1000 words), in Dutch (levels A2 to B1 on average), I add a translation in French (it's originally made for French speakers) and I add notes to explain the grammar and vocab word formation. Still, creating this material and writing these stories takes time and imagination and I would like to made histories with a lower level (A1-A2). It's difficult for me because I'm at about C1 and I have some troubles writing with a lower level. This is why I need you!

I am thus looking for learners of Dutch whose level goes up to B1 and who would be willing to write short stories of the same length as I do (could go up to 2000 words max). I would then translate them (if you wish, I could put on my website a translated version in your own native language as well as in French) and add notes to help pupils with a beginner level to understand the stories. I could thus publish your short story and mention your name or pseudo as the author of the story and link it to a website if you have one you want to promote.
I would of course first correct your story and give you feedback so that you learn from your mistakes (I'm not a native speaker but I've had to study the grammar and, as a future teacher, it's my job to give feedback).

If anyone would be willing to help me, you help would be very valuable because I need reading material for this level (from A0 to A2). Materials with this level is extremely difficult to find for learners, which is why I wanted to find a solution by creating this material myself and, if possible, with your help.

Here is my website where you can find everything: guillaumelp.wordpress.com

Thanks in advance if you can help me, it would be extremely useful for learners of Dutch!
2 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: Need learners of Dutch!

Postby tommus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:58 am

This interests me very much!

I have many ideas and suggestions about what you are developing. I would be able to do proof reading for Dutch into English. And I could write English short stories to be translated into Dutch, etc. I assume you have already found at least one native-Dutch speaker. You probably need at least two; Dutch and Flemish.

I think an invaluable addition to your short stories would be "language islands" that Boris Shekhtman promoted. Here are some posts I made on HTLAL on that subject:

Language Islands - HTLAL

There are so many possibilities if a few native speakers of a small number of languages (let's say 3: Fr, EN, NL) put their interests together. You talk about material at A2 to B1 levels. I think there is a big void and a big need for this sort of material, especially the language islands, at B2 and above.

So your initiative is great. I have just had time for a brief look at your web page, but I'll now go and have a much better look. I am eager and excited. Thanks.
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Postby guiguixx1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:22 pm

I'm having a lot of work right now with my exams and MA dissertation so I don't have much time to dive into the idea of the islands, but thanks a lot Tommus for this suggestion, I'll see how to use it when I have some more free time to spend more energie into it ;)
1 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:15 pm

This sounds a bit like GLOSS (which isn't available for Dutch). You can get some ideas from their lessons in French/German/Spanish :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”