Recommended EFL resources for Russians

General discussion about learning languages
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Recommended EFL resources for Russians

Postby Teango » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:51 pm

My Russian father-in-law is an amazing kind person, and would really like to learn English on his own. He's going through a rough patch right now, and I'd like to help him get started on this journey with a good beginner-intermediate level course.

I initially ordered "Английский бес труда" for him as a present (Assimil being my customary first stop shop for beginner-intermediate textbooks). When the course arrived this morning, I decided to check through the book first before sending it on to him. And this turned out to be a good move, as the contents was not really like that of my other Assimil textbooks. Based on the handful of random lessons I checked (and I could have just been unlucky here), the dialogues seemed horribly dry with very little humour at all (something that Assimil usually likes to pride itself on, whether or not the reader genuinely finds the passages funny :roll:), and the English seemed to have been lifted from a time period when pinafores and lace doilies were very much still in fashion. Now I'm not sure what to do...

I'm still considering sending him the course, as I'm otherwise a big fan of parallel texts and light grammar in the beginning, but if I do send him this, I'll suggest he at least indulge in some tea whilst studying. This will help ease the digestion of the dry crumbs from this course that I worry may quickly become stuck in his throat.

In the spirit of finding more fun and interesting contemporary resources, I was wondering if there's something much more suitable I could send him or give him a link to instead? And this question goes out to anyone. Заранее огромное спасибо! (Thanks very much in advance!)
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: Recommended EFL resources for Russians

Postby neofight78 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:31 am

Teango wrote:...if I do send him this, I'll suggest he at least indulge in some tea whilst studying...

Indeed, and of course elevenses would be ideal. Not only will it help with the dry crumbs it will also give occasion to use those fashionable lace doilies. :P
2 x

Whodathunkitz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Cebuano (basic spoken daily, best L2), Spanish (beginner, but can read), Esperanto (beginner and not maintained). Sometimes dabble with Dutch, Serbian, Slovak, Czech, German and Arabic.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5133&start=30

Postby Whodathunkitz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:40 am

neofight78 wrote:
Teango wrote:...if I do send him this, I'll suggest he at least indulge in some tea whilst studying...

Indeed, and of course elevenses would be ideal. Not only will it help with the dry crumbs it will also give occasion to use those fashionable lace doilies. :P

Just ensure antimacassars are fitted and all table legs are covered by a full length tablecloth to lessen their erotic effects.
2 x
2018 Cebuano SuperChallenge 1 May 2018-Dec 2019
: 150 / 600 SC days:
: 6 / 1250 Read (aim daily 2000 words):
: 299 / 9000 Video (aim daily 15 minutes):

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Teango,
I wish I could help you, but I haven't used any courses. The closest thing to a "course" I've ever used is English in two years which is just a school textbook for 10-11th grade, so there's nothing really entertaining in it :) . Frankly, I haven't completed this textbook.

upd. I've, of course, used other language learning materials, like Murphy's and Hewings's grammar books and so on, but I guess that isn't the kind of course you’re looking for.
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:23 am

Any suggestions for resources? Anybody? Пожалуйста... :roll:
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”