Is it useful to read in a foreign language aloud?

General discussion about learning languages
Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

Is it useful to read in a foreign language aloud?

Postby Ольга » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 pm

I've started to read in English aloud.
Now I am reading "The structure of Modern English" by B.Ilyish.
Is it useful?
Last edited by Ольга on Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Re: Is it useful to read a foreign language aloud?

Postby FrannieB » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:13 pm

I don't know if it is or not but my tutor has me do it for about 10 minutes every session. The point is to focus on pronunciation without having to worry about producing a sentence.
We work on my prosody and I can sense starting to read aloud it has really helped with my spoken language.

I'm sure someone can give a much more decisive answer then this and I look forward to reading it.
3 x

Jbean
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (B1)
I can read menus in many languages.

Re: Is it useful to read in a foreign language aloud?

Postby Jbean » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:16 pm

For me it is. I read aloud to myself a lot in French in order to get the rhythm and elisions into my head. I also find that it helps me remember new words to pronounce them out loud.
5 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:46 pm

I think it can be, if you have someone to correct your pronunciation. I think that is the key point, otherwise you'll risk making mistakes and thinking they are acceptable when they're not. And reading is nice because it gives you a predetermined script, which is good for those who can't come up with stuff off the top of their heads, or who want some more structure in their practice, etc.
5 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Going off what galaxyrocker says, I've heard of people reading a text (say, Assimil), record their reading of the text, and comparing it to the recording, if a native speaker isn't available.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:32 pm

Yes. It is.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:12 pm

I read aloud often in Spanish and Italian, languages whose pronunciations I feel pretty confident with. I find that it helps me find the rhythm and "music" of a language.

I have a Tagalog book that I really want to work with, but I keep putting it off because I'm not at all sure about pronunciation. Tagalog uses a WYSIWYG spelling, but I never know if I'm putting the stress on the right syllable. I learn a lot of vocabulary through reading, and I'm pretty sure I'll learn new vocabulary with erroneous pronunciation.

So my very definite answer is: it depends.

Are you comfortable with the pronunciation? Do you have access to a recording to compare? Then yes, by all means read aloud at times.

But if you aren't comfortable with the pronunciation, I'm not sure it's a very useful strategy.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:54 am

Ольга wrote:I've started to read in English aloud.
Now I am reading "The structure of Modern English" by B.Ilyish.
Is it useful?

See this part of the wikia article. Yes, this link has been posted before ;)

This particular book doesn't sound like a good choice. Looks like it was written by a Russian native speaker who passed away in 1971. I don't question his academic credentials, but bear in mind that English wasn't his native language, and he learned it in the USSR where the authorities scrutinized his contact with native speakers and materials, or at least this was something he could reasonably expect. (aww he spoke Finnish)

And although Russians tend to learn really obscure stuff about the theory of English grammar (things native speakers never heard about), reading a better grammar reference aloud is not the solution :) You need something colloquial, engaging, probably with a lot of dialogue. It's easier to find good examples of fiction, but there's also a category of non-fictional books that fits - those with a personal touch, aimed at the general public and often humorous. I don't believe it's possible to find something "too easy" for reading aloud. For example, children's books may actually be a good idea because many are intended to be read aloud by adults to children.
6 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:24 am

Serpent wrote:You need something colloquial, engaging, probably with a lot of dialogue. It's easier to find good examples of fiction, but there's also a category of non-fictional books that fits - those with a personal touch, aimed at the general public and often humorous. I don't believe it's possible to find something "too easy" for reading aloud. For example, children's books may actually be a good idea because many are intended to be read aloud by adults to children.

A good non-fiction example that I can think of off the top of my head is any of David Sedaris' memoires (though his short stories also have a lot of dialogue if I am remembering correctly). They are all available on audiobook as well with Sedaris reading them.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:55 am

Deleted.
Last edited by aravinda on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”