Is it useful to read in a foreign language aloud?

General discussion about learning languages
ekat2.0
White Belt
Languages: (Beginner)Spanish, (Beginner) Russian, English (N)

Re: Is it useful to read in a foreign language aloud?

Postby ekat2.0 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:10 pm

Ольга wrote:I've started to read in English aloud.
Now I am reading "The structure of Modern English" by B.Ilyish.
Is it useful?

Привет, олга, как дела?

I am on the opposite court, I am an English speaker learning Russian (I am learning Russian and Spanish at the same time). The languages are very different. Way back in time, English developed as a trading Creol, using several other languages, and with a greatly simplified ending case system (still present in Russian), and a greatly simplified gender system. This simplified schema made word placement even more important in English than it is in Russian. English is also constantly changing, shifting and borrowing. So obviously without this knowledge, it is difficult to translate. I have similar problems changing "endings" on Russian words.

I personally would watch a few documentaries to get a grasp on the variety of influences and the morphology of English.

As a beginner, I like to read short stories, and also informational reading like magazines. (Plenty of pictures).
As a seeker of knowledge, if you are enjoying the book, then I do not see why you should not read it.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 am

ekat2.0 wrote:The languages are very different. Way back in time, English developed as a trading Creol, using several other languages, and with a greatly simplified ending case system (still present in Russian), and a greatly simplified gender system.

At the risk of going off topic, I just wanted to say that the English creole hypothesis is considered fringe, at best. It's really unlikely English was a creole, and shows many natural developments in Germanic languages.
1 x

ekat2.0
White Belt
Languages: (Beginner)Spanish, (Beginner) Russian, English (N)

Postby ekat2.0 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 am

That's fine. It is what I was taught in my linguistic class in college. If it is "Fringe" now, I can't do anything about it. But, yeah, stay on topic.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:16 am

ekat2.0 wrote:I personally would watch a few documentaries to get a grasp on the variety of influences and the morphology of English.
What kind of documentaries?
Most Russians who've had classes know a lot about the English grammar, perhaps even too much :D The real difficulty is keeping all the rules in mind and avoiding the Russian syntax. (Also not treating functional words as mere vocabulary - there may be equivalents but this doesn't mean you can combine them the way you do in L1)

The cases and genders ultimately stem from Proto-IE, both in Russian and Old English. The Germanic cases got lost/merged pretty early.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:05 pm

It have found that reading aloud in foreign languages has helped me to become more verbally competent in my own native language.
0 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 pm

DangerDave2010 wrote:It have found that reading aloud in foreign languages has helped me to become more verbally competent in my own native language.

Awesome, because I've heard gibberish is cat 6.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “General Language Discussion”