Contact methods

General discussion about learning languages

If there is an unexpected outage or technical issue, I'd prefer to be notified by

Poll ended at Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Twitter
23%
Facebook
17%
Wiki page
23%
HTLAL
8%
Email (not sure if we can do this)
27%
Other (please comment)
2%

Total votes: 142

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Contact methods

Postby Bluepaint » Wed May 31, 2017 11:46 pm

Making this poll out of curiosity. You can select two options.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Contact methods

Postby iguanamon » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:03 am

Great idea, Rhian. Who knows how long HTLAL will remain a functioning site. I'm quite surprised that FX is still keeping it up and running.
0 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:25 am

iguanamon wrote:Great idea, Rhian. Who knows how long HTLAL will remain a functioning site. I'm quite surprised that FX is still keeping it up and running.

I sometimes wonder if it is set up as a direct debit/standing order he has simply forgotten about or if it is simply so cheap he isn't bothered. Of course, there are advertisements on the site so maybe that covers the cost and gives a tiny bit of profit in which case he is just as well leaving the site up. Mods have free Pro membership. I wonder if other Pro members still pay? Was it annually or monthly? Some people are terrible for letting unused memberships run and run and run. Maybe that also turns a profit.

Anyway, speculating on this won't really get us anywhere I suppose. (And it is off-topic so if we want to continue we ought to switch to PM.)

So! So far nobody wants Facebook?
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:31 am

Wikia makes the most sense to me since it is part of the site already.

I think access to the announcement should not require more technology than access to LLorg itself, so the announcement (or 1 version of it) should be on an HTML webpage - one that does not require the latest versions of Flash and Java and browser, please.

As to alternative versions of the announcement, I believe our preferences will change from year to year if not from month to month as social apps come and go. I don't think you can please everone every day.

If Facebook, please make announcements public for everyone, ie. readable even if I am not a friend or follower.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Postby embici » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:48 am

Rhian wrote:
I sometimes wonder if it is set up as a direct debit/standing order he has simply forgotten about or if it is simply so cheap he isn't bothered. Of course, there are advertisements on the site so maybe that covers the cost and gives a tiny bit of profit in which case he is just as well leaving the site up. Mods have free Pro membership. I wonder if other Pro members still pay? Was it annually or monthly? Some people are terrible for letting unused memberships run and run and run. Maybe that also turns a profit.

Personally, I'm rather bitter. I paid for the pro membership for a few years. It was a paypal subscription. I kept meaning to un-subscribe every time I was charged but never got around to it... until last year.
2 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:55 am

Call me old school, but I'm a bit disappointed to see email in 3rd place. A new mail icon on the phone leading to useful info/updates on a forum down situation would be nice to anti-social-media types like me.

Regardless of how notified, it is nice to have such responsive and attentive site admins and moderators.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:39 am

smallwhite wrote:I think access to the announcement should not require more technology than access to LLorg itself, so the announcement (or 1 version of it) should be on an HTML webpage - one that does not require the latest versions of Flash and Java and browser, please.

I didn't make myself clear. I mean the announcement should not require further apps or membership to access either, eg. Facebook app, Twitter membership, email access.

But if an email address was required when we first signed up, then I guess email notification makes sense as well.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:12 am

Honestly I think the useful thing about Twitter is that, unlike Facebook, it's easy to access (including from phones) and assuming the profile is public you don't need an account to see the Twitter feed. I get that Facebook is also accessible from phones but I am rather tired of seeing the "create an account if you want to see the rest of this page" notification that covers most of the screen on at least the desktop pages.

I honestly don't see much of a logistical difference in using Wikia vs Twitter other than that someone would need to create a language learners Twitter account. Where Wikia wins out, in my mind at least, is that there's already a rather robust Wikia site. I also think that having announcements on the main page of this site isn't a terribly good idea because if the entire site is down then no one will be able to actually see the announcement.
6 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:23 am

Interesting to see the replies. I too would like to keep social media use to a minimum for this but it isn't only my choice thus the poll. I very reluctantly had to get added to HTLAL Community Center on Facebook during out IP-Ban Disaster.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:25 am

Actually we do have a twitter account - https://twitter.com/HTLALnews :) I'm not sure who has the password though :? edit: account no longer used

I apologize again for not having posted the news on wikia. Ironically on the old forum this would've been the first thing I did, since there wasn't much else to do... But now I tried to ensure rdearman and emk got to know about the problem, and I posted on fb too, at that early stage also to figure out whether this affected all users or just some, and whether any mod had been able to log in.

I definitely feel strongly that using fb shouldn't be required for keeping up with htlal.
5 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”