ACCIDENTAL BAN OF EVERYBODY'S IP ADDRESS—sorry, fixing it as quickly as I can.

General discussion about learning languages
Jinx
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (adv), varying levels of French, Esperanto, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Catalan, Mandarin, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16835

Re: ACCIDENTAL BAN OF EVERYBODY'S IP ADDRESS—sorry, fixing it as quickly as I can.

Postby Jinx » Tue May 30, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm relieved to hear this! I also sent y'all an email inquiring about this, but you can ignore it now that this thread is up.

I would like to take this opportunity to add my voice to the previously expressed appreciation of how the moderator team at this forum quickly gets on top of problems like this and also communicates with us so clearly about them. Thanks to all for your hard work!
7 x
Feel free to add me on Goodreads.
Pronouns: she/her.
Corrections welcome!

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: ACCIDENTAL BAN OF EVERYBODY'S IP ADDRESS—sorry, fixing it as quickly as I can.

Postby aokoye » Tue May 30, 2017 11:21 pm

Phew! I was both confused and concerned. I too looked for something on the wiki this morning and saw nothing. I'm glad it got sorted though and now we can have an amusing reunion of not actually banned people :D
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed May 31, 2017 12:12 am

Feel so very lucky to be in the hands of two such very expert and knowledgeable people who persevere and never give up.

Thanks to you both for your very hard and unending work.
5 x

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Wed May 31, 2017 1:24 am

I thought I accidentally posted naughty links or something. On a positive note, I spent my extra time on the blog, which has a really great list of French YouTube channels--i found one about philosophy that I'm really enjoying, so at least something good came from this :)

I'm glad it's all sorted out. This is one of three sites that I actually browse regularly.
Last edited by Fortheo on Wed May 31, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:59 am

Occasionally I get kicked out for having a Russian IP address. I thought it was that problem again, but apparently not.

I am still breathing through a brown paper bag to stop the panic induced hyperventilation.

Perhaps an official twitter account could be set up for info on site downtime. At the moment there's no obvious single reliable place to go in order to check what's going on.
5 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed May 31, 2017 2:03 am

neofight78 wrote:Perhaps an official twitter account could be set up for info on site downtime. At the moment there's no obvious single reliable place to go in order to check what's going on.
I second this suggestion. I searched with no real success for a twitter feed after not having found any info about the situation on the wiki.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed May 31, 2017 3:29 am

Fortheo wrote:I thought I accidentally posted naughty links or something. On a positive note, I spent my extra time on the blog, which has a really great list of French YouTube channels--i found one about philosophy that I'm really enjoying, so at least something good came from this :)

I'm glad it's all sorted out. This is like one of three sites that I actually browse regularly.

What is the name of the philosophy channel? Thank you.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed May 31, 2017 3:48 am

Between this and a broken home wifi, I spent 4 hours studying chapters 1 to 4. Now I know the case endings backwards. Two more outages and I'll have finished the 12-chapter book. Thanks, Administrators!
11 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed May 31, 2017 11:37 am

neofight78 wrote:Perhaps an official twitter account could be set up for info on site downtime. At the moment there's no obvious single reliable place to go in order to check what's going on.

I agree we should have an official downtime page / Twitter account!

But it wouldn't have helped in this case. Once we realized that something was wrong, we fixed it quickly and just posted the announcement here. The problem is that I don't check my personal email at work more than every couple of hours.

But yes, we'll be reviewing our downtime and admin procedures after this incident. I feel really awful about worrying so many people. :-(
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed May 31, 2017 12:00 pm

I didn't think of posting to the wiki, sorry :|
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”