Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

What does your output look like?

Postby Voytek » Sun May 21, 2017 5:07 am

Currently I'm only posting on the forum. And you? What do you do to untame your language inner beast? ;)
Last edited by Voytek on Sun May 21, 2017 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: What does your input look like?

Postby coldrainwater » Sun May 21, 2017 7:50 am

I believe you may be referring to what most of us would call 'output' rather than 'input'. Input is often considered (for example) material read or listened to, and output would be speaking or writing (in two common cases). If you mean output in that sense, I think a title edit would help. Input might be an ambiguous term in for this use case.
1 x

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: What does your input look like?

Postby Voytek » Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 am

coldrainwater wrote:I believe you may be referring to what most of us would call 'output' rather than 'input'. Input is often considered (for example) material read or listened to, and output would be speaking or writing (in two common cases). If you mean output in that sense, I think a title edit would help. Input might be an ambiguous term in for this use case.

Yes, thank you. I started this thread early in the morning just after I woke up and here we are. :)
2 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: What does your output look like?

Postby aaleks » Sun May 21, 2017 9:16 am

My posts here is practically all my output right now. Plus sometimes I write a comment but don't post it.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun May 21, 2017 9:31 am

In which language?

An example of my output is my blog.

If you are talking writing and speech, I write in several languages every day and speak in various languages during the week. Not a day goes by that I have to use a language besides Dutch and English. Most commonly Russian, Spanish and Esperanto but in the past month I think I have used pretty much all of my languages at some point, and I work in Russian as well as Dutch and English.

I have used Dutch, English, Russian, German, Spanish, Romanian, Mandarin and French professionally before in my teaching and translation work as well as in other situations. I have spoken Greek to students outside of my teaching course in Crete. I have attended social events and made friends in languages as diverse as Mandarin, Swedish and Russian, and I have found my way on local buses in South Korea in Korean. I have attended birthdays in Esperanto, festivities in Mandarin Chinese and drunk in beer gardens in Russian. I have comforted children in Romanian and have explained romantic break-ups in French. I have completed psychotherapy sessions in Spanish, been to hospitals in Mandarin Chinese, got my nipples pierced in a combination of Danish and Swedish, and gone geocaching and played board games in German.

Life of a polyglot.
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 am

tarvos wrote:In which language?

If you are talking writing and speech, I write in several languages every day and speak in various languages during the week. Not a day goes by that I have to use a language besides Dutch and English. Most commonly Russian, Spanish and Esperanto but in the past month I think I have used pretty much all of my languages at some point, and I work in Russian as well as Dutch and English.

I have used Dutch, English, Russian, German, Spanish, Romanian, Mandarin and French professionally before in my teaching and translation work as well as in other situations. I have spoken Greek to students outside of my teaching course in Crete. I have attended social events and made friends in languages as diverse as Mandarin, Swedish and Russian, and I have found my way on local buses in South Korea in Korean. I have attended birthdays in Esperanto, festivities in Mandarin Chinese and drunk in beer gardens in Russian. I have comforted children in Romanian and have explained romantic break-ups in French. I have completed psychotherapy sessions in Spanish, been to hospitals in Mandarin Chinese, got my nipples pierced in a combination of Danish and Swedish, and gone geocaching and played board games in German.

Life of a polyglot.

Please, be so kind and tell us what point of language learning you start your input at? Or at which level?
0 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:27 am

Before my move to Russia, my output was basically conversations by Skype mainly in the form of tutoring lessons. I only really wrote as part of exam preparation, or occasionally a short entry on italki if inspiration struck. Now that I'm in Russian, all my day to day communication is done in Russian. I still don't write much, but following Tarvos' example I'm going to start writing in the form of a blog and get feedback from a tutor.
2 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun May 21, 2017 10:51 am

Voytek wrote:
tarvos wrote:In which language?

Life of a polyglot.

Please, be so kind and tell us what point of language learning you start your input at? Or at which level?

Day 1.

I don't do silent periods. Anything and everything can be input and I use all possible methods to get my hands on something, even if it's silly youtube vids or reading the packaging on supermarket foods.

In this day and age, unless you are studying obscure tribal languages, you cannot start from zero in any language. Even in Mandarin, loanwords do exist.

So I don't understand why I would delay output and input even less as it's so easy to get.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Sun May 21, 2017 11:48 am

tarvos wrote:Day 1.

I don't do silent periods. Anything and everything can be input and I use all possible methods to get my hands on something, even if it's silly youtube vids or reading the packaging on supermarket foods.

In this day and age, unless you are studying obscure tribal languages, you cannot start from zero in any language. Even in Mandarin, loanwords do exist.

So I don't understand why I would delay output and input even less as it's so easy to get.

oh, sorry, I mixed up both terms again, I meant output, of course, speaking and writing. Please, reffer to it.
0 x

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Sun May 21, 2017 12:15 pm

I speak German on a daily basis with my colleagues, friends and supervisor, my PhD thesis is in German as well as some minor texts I produce regularly. It's not unusual for me to use English to talk both to natives as well as to second language speakers and I've been writing articles in English since 2014. One of my friends, despite his mastery in both German and English has been willing to talk to me in French since few months. I also have a Czech friend with whom I talk either on Skype or in person and since I've been visiting the Czech Republic few times a year since 2013 I have many opportunities to interact with other native speakers as well. I used to pay for Russian conversations (which I still do for Spanish ones) but I ended up switching to exchange with natives; I regret discovering the joy of participation in live streams only recently.
Last edited by Theodisce on Sun May 21, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

Return to “General Language Discussion”