How to learn English punctuation?

General discussion about learning languages
Ольга
Green Belt
Languages: English, French, German, Greek, Portuguese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6206

How to learn English punctuation?

Postby Ольга » Mon May 15, 2017 3:31 pm

It is my weak point. What do you think? How do you learn punctuation in other languages?
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: How to learn English punctuation?

Postby aaleks » Mon May 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Ольга wrote:It is my weak point. What do you think? How do you learn punctuation in other languages?

The same way I learned it in my native language - common sense and reading. Probably, I often leave commas out or/and misuse them, but I'm just learning (c) I hope you know this quote from Золушка ;)
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon May 15, 2017 5:29 pm

If you are wishing to learn English punctuation, you might wish to consider any of the books dedicated to this subject and that are available via the large online booksellers such as:

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aenglish+punctuation&keywords=english+punctuation&ie=UTF8&qid=1494869040&spIA=162315796X

AbeBooks
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sortby=7&tn=english+punctuation

Punctuation is a matter of both "style" and "grammar" and, as for any other element of language, it has served as grist for the mills of the descriptivists.
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 pm

Pray? :lol: English punctuation is something that a lot of natives have issues with - it's not taught in schools in the way that it is in Russia or other countries. I know that personally my punctuation could do with work (not mentioning my obscene love of brackets). It is sometimes taught in 'academic writing' guides for students, so that could be something to investigate?
1 x
Corrections appreciated.

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Mon May 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Write English in Google Translate, translated to your native language. Hit the switch button. Google will back-translate from your native language into English, and will have corrected all your mistakes. Pay attention...learn!
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon May 15, 2017 7:55 pm

1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Mon May 15, 2017 8:11 pm

AND write. if you never practice and fail and get corrected at what you read, youll never know if you really absorbed the punctuation rules youve been learning. do it by doing.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue May 16, 2017 4:20 am

MamaPata wrote:Pray? :lol: English punctuation is something that a lot of natives have issues with - it's not taught in schools in the way that it is in Russia or other countries. I know that personally my punctuation could do with work (not mentioning my obscene love of brackets). It is sometimes taught in 'academic writing' guides for students, so that could be something to investigate?

It is taught, just in a stupid prescriptivist way that nobody cares about.

I recall having entire standardized tests with questions concerning stuff like the exact placement of punctuation when writing an address, date, or formal letter.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 am

golyplot wrote:
MamaPata wrote:Pray? :lol: English punctuation is something that a lot of natives have issues with - it's not taught in schools in the way that it is in Russia or other countries. I know that personally my punctuation could do with work (not mentioning my obscene love of brackets). It is sometimes taught in 'academic writing' guides for students, so that could be something to investigate?

I recall having entire standardized tests with questions concerning stuff like the exact placement of punctuation when writing an address, date, or formal letter.

Fair enough. It wasn't taught in my schools aside from maybe one or two lessons, and that's also the experience of most people I know in the UK.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (0)

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Tue May 16, 2017 6:14 am

golyplot wrote:

Considering most people I knew graduated High School without learning what a noun or a verb was, I don't think the one test after 2 lessons really taught anything XD
1 x
Please ignore my English, elsewise be kind!

Return to “General Language Discussion”