How to learn English punctuation?

General discussion about learning languages
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: How to learn English punctuation?

Postby smallwhite » Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am

SophiaMerlin_II wrote:Were you breaking commas for effect :shock:

I was demonstrating what I meant by the German comma - compulsory between a noun and its relative clause.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Punctuation

Postby coldrainwater » Tue May 23, 2017 8:27 am

I love recommending books before I have read them myself. Without further ado, I give you...Sh@dy Characters: The Secret Life of Punctuation, Symbols & Other Typographical Marks by Ke!th H*uston. You may still end up with shady punctuation after reading it, but at least you will know where it came from!

My personal contribution from chess: ?! = dubious move (evaluation provided by my computer chess engines after each move I make that doesn't lose outright). If none of that works, I can say that lately, I've been using the Grammarly chrome extension to assist with comma placement. It may not be perfect, but it is responsible for most of the commas in this post.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: How to learn English punctuation?

Postby aaleks » Tue May 23, 2017 11:04 am

smallwhite wrote:Many members write commas the way, that Germans do. And they are often people, who read a lot in English. I know it's not only Germans, who write commas like that. But German is the only language, that I know, that punctuates like that.

smallwhite wrote:I was demonstrating what I meant by the German comma - compulsory between a noun and its relative clause.

In Russian we use commas in similar way.

"But German is the only language, that I know, that punctuates like that" = "Но немецкий язык - единственный язык, который я знаю, где запятые ставятся подобным образом" or "Но немецкий язык - единственный из языков, которые я знаю, где запятые ставятся подобным образом"
To be honest, both my translations aren't good, but I hope they illustrate what I mean.

It seems in Russian language commas are used more than in English. And Russian kids are being "trained" to use them properly during all school years.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”