Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Re: Goethe B2 Experience

Postby Maiwenn » Mon May 08, 2017 3:37 pm

This is a really fantastic write-up, thank you! And congratulations!!
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

FrannieB
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Next: Italian or French

Postby FrannieB » Mon May 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Thank you so much for this right up on the B2 experience my goal is to take B2 Spanish - However the dates in October and November don't work for me - So I think I am going to go for the B1 test in July - Now I have to get working and thanks to you I have a plan and a better idea of what to expect.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 08, 2017 4:53 pm

1. Congratulations!!!

2.Thanks for all the information and advice. I would like to get to such a level and exam too, your thread is very valuable to me.

3.A question: Did you find the exam tasks significantly different from stuff you encounter in real life? Or was it stuff you might easily happen to need? I remember having such a problem with my DELF B2, as I was supposed to write a loooong letter concerning an issue I would normally deal with in five sentences in any language, so it makes me wonder.
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Soclydeza wrote:
neofight78 wrote:Congratulations and great post! :D Perhaps this could become a post on our blog here? Let me know if you would be happy for this to happen and I can get it uploaded for you.

Yeah sure! Let me know if you want me to rewrite anything or organize it better.

Great, thank you! :D I'll send you a PM before it goes live, and before that if I need anything.
1 x

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Postby Soclydeza » Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 pm

Cavesa wrote:1. Congratulations!!!

2.Thanks for all the information and advice. I would like to get to such a level and exam too, your thread is very valuable to me.

3.A question: Did you find the exam tasks significantly different from stuff you encounter in real life? Or was it stuff you might easily happen to need? I remember having such a problem with my DELF B2, as I was supposed to write a loooong letter concerning an issue I would normally deal with in five sentences in any language, so it makes me wonder.

Thanks! I'm glad you found it helpful.

I would say the reading part was practical, since one needs to be able to understand the main and minor points of what they are reading. The writing part did drag on a bit; as you said, it was something I could have probably expressed in a few sentences, but then again, they are testing you ability to elaborate if you have to. The speaking part was practical, I think; at its most basic level, they want you to give your own thoughts on something and also to have a discussion with your partner, all real life stuff. The listening part did seem a bit artificial (not the actual content, but the testing method), but I guess I understand because that could be a hard thing to test unless you have the participant listen to the whole thing and then write an essay about it (which I'm glad they didn't do haha).

In general I think there was a good correlation between the exam and real life situations, though I'm sure someone who couldn't hold a conversation might be able to pass it just as a non-native who is a social-butterfly in Germany might not.
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

zesanriky
Languages: English, Learning German B2

Postby zesanriky » Mon May 13, 2019 5:48 pm

I am newly registered in this blog because I am planning to sit for the B2 exam. You have done a good job by passing B2 successfully. What you have mentioned about a book called "Station B2". I want to be sure about the model tests of the book. Because you have faced finding the errors in letter and writing an essay in the writing part. But I just recently checked the Goethe Official web material where they are asking to write a forum about something and the next part is to write a letter to my boss. What you mentioned about reading also not getting matched quietly. Does it mean the examination style is getting changed by time? Or do you think it is worth to buy that book? Please mention the number of pages of "Station B2".
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”