Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: The Effectiveness of Electronic Media vs Paper Media

Postby Voytek » Wed May 03, 2017 5:38 am

Voytek wrote:Thanks, you've inspired me to read the book "The New Science of Learning: How to Learn in Harmony With Your Brain".

An excerpt from this book:

Code: Select all

The more ways you engage with something that you are learning—such as listening, talking, reading, writing, reviewing, or thinking about the material or skill—the stronger the connections in your brain become and the more likely the new learning will become a more permanent memory.

Another ones:

A tired, hungry, and thirsty brain deprived of the essential benefits exercise brings to it is a brain not ready to learn.

Whereas sitting at desks is practical for taking notes, it is not nearly as effective as walking when learning new material.

When the protein BDNF is present in your brain in greater amounts, your brain is better able to make the connections between the brain cells (neural networks) that are the physical representation of what you have learned. To reiterate: this protein actually makes learning easier.

It is important to mention that any movement is better than no movement when it comes to improving learning. However, the real benefit that neuroscience researchers have discovered comes from regular physical activity or exercise and, in particular, aerobic exercise.

Ratey (2008) suggests that 30 min of exercise in which our heart rates reach the appropriate levels for our age, four to five times a week, is a good baseline. He also points out that the learning benefits of exercise last for 6–8 hr following activity, and a regular routine of aerobic exercise four to five times a week has significant long-term benefits for learners (Ratey, 2008). An exercise regimen puts your brain in a state of continual readiness to learn. Remember that any exercise is beneficial, but aerobic exercise is the gold standard.
5 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed May 03, 2017 10:33 am

you probably want to use [quote][/quote] instead of [code][/code]
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Wed May 03, 2017 12:06 pm

reineke wrote:Your paper brain and your Kindle brain aren't the same thing

"Neuroscience, in fact, has revealed that humans use different parts of the brain when reading from a piece of paper or from a screen. So the more you read on screens, the more your mind shifts towards "non-linear" reading — a practice that involves things like skimming a screen or having your eyes dart around a web page."

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-18/ ... same-thing

In my view, there's nothing wrong with skimming. When you take a book from a shelf in a bookstore and look through the pages you do almost the same thing. Life changed. Nowadays there's too much information floating around, we need to select what’s worth to be read and what isn’t. From my own experience I can say that when I read something I’m really interested in, no matter from a paper or a screen, I’ll read it line by line. Of course, it’s just anecdotal evidence :) .
Last edited by aaleks on Wed May 03, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

indigo
White Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (int), French (int), German (int)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5797

Postby indigo » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

I found the article ("Why using pen & paper, and not laptops...") interesting and while I don't necessarily disagree with it, I would have like to have seen the study use the *same* students trying both note-taking methods (at separate times), and then testing the results. The fact that they used two different groups of students, each testing only one note-taking method, bothers me. I realize that if the students were asked to switch to their less-preferred note-taking method for a session they might not perform as well, but I would have liked to at least seen that attempt as part of the study.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed May 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Is Google Making Us Stupid?
What the Internet is doing to our brains

Excerpts

"Over the past few years I’ve had an uncomfortable sense that someone, or something, has been tinkering with my brain, remapping the neural circuitry, reprogramming the memory. My mind isn’t going—so far as I can tell—but it’s changing. I’m not thinking the way I used to think. I can feel it most strongly when I’m reading. Immersing myself in a book or a lengthy article used to be easy. My mind would get caught up in the narrative or the turns of the argument, and I’d spend hours strolling through long stretches of prose. That’s rarely the case anymore. Now my concentration often starts to drift after two or three pages. I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I’m always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle.

Scott Karp, who writes a blog about online media, recently confessed that he has stopped reading books altogether. “I was a lit major in college, and used to be [a] voracious book reader,” he wrote. “What happened?” He speculates on the answer: “What if I do all my reading on the web not so much because the way I read has changed, i.e. I’m just seeking convenience, but because the way I THINK has changed?”

Bruce Friedman, who blogs regularly about the use of computers in medicine, also has described how the Internet has altered his mental habits. “I now have almost totally lost the ability to read and absorb a longish article on the web or in print,” he wrote earlier this year. A pathologist who has long been on the faculty of the University of Michigan Medical School, Friedman elaborated on his comment in a telephone conversation with me. His thinking, he said, has taken on a “staccato” quality, reflecting the way he quickly scans short passages of text from many sources online. “I can’t read War and Peace anymore,” he admitted. “I’ve lost the ability to do that. Even a blog post of more than three or four paragraphs is too much to absorb. I skim it.”

As part of the five-year research program, the scholars examined computer logs documenting the behavior of visitors to two popular research sites, one operated by the British Library and one by a U.K. educational consortium, that provide access to journal articles, e-books, and other sources of written information. They found that people using the sites exhibited “a form of skimming activity,” hopping from one source to another and rarely returning to any source they’d already visited.

Thanks to the ubiquity of text on the Internet, not to mention the popularity of text-messaging on cell phones, we may well be reading more today than we did in the 1970s or 1980s, when television was our medium of choice. But it’s a different kind of reading, and behind it lies a different kind of thinking—perhaps even a new sense of the self. “We are not only what we read,” says Maryanne Wolf, a developmental psychologist at Tufts University and the author of Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain. “We are how we read.” Wolf worries that the style of reading promoted by the Net, a style that puts “efficiency” and “immediacy” above all else, may be weakening our capacity for the kind of deep reading that emerged when an earlier technology, the printing press, made long and complex works of prose commonplace. When we read online, she says, we tend to become “mere decoders of information.” Our ability to interpret text, to make the rich mental connections that form when we read deeply and without distraction, remains largely disengaged.

Reading, explains Wolf, is not an instinctive skill for human beings. It’s not etched into our genes the way speech is. We have to teach our minds how to translate the symbolic characters we see into the language we understand. And the media or other technologies we use in learning and practicing the craft of reading play an important part in shaping the neural circuits inside our brains.

Sometime in 1882, Friedrich Nietzsche bought a typewriter—a Malling-Hansen Writing Ball, to be precise. His vision was failing, and keeping his eyes focused on a page had become exhausting and painful, often bringing on crushing headaches. He had been forced to curtail his writing, and he feared that he would soon have to give it up. The typewriter rescued him, at least for a time...

But the machine had a subtler effect on his work. One of Nietzsche’s friends, a composer, noticed a change in the style of his writing. His already terse prose had become even tighter, more telegraphic. “Perhaps you will through this instrument even take to a new idiom,” the friend wrote in a letter, noting that, in his own work, his “‘thoughts’ in music and language often depend on the quality of pen and paper.”

You are right,” Nietzsche replied, “our writing equipment takes part in the forming of our thoughts.” Under the sway of the machine, writes the German media scholar Friedrich A. Kittler , Nietzsche’s prose “changed from arguments to aphorisms, from thoughts to puns, from rhetoric to telegram style.”

As the late MIT computer scientist Joseph Weizenbaum observed in his 1976 book, Computer Power and Human Reason: From Judgment to Calculation, the conception of the world that emerged from the widespread use of timekeeping instruments “remains an impoverished version of the older one, for it rests on a rejection of those direct experiences that formed the basis for, and indeed constituted, the old reality.” In deciding when to eat, to work, to sleep, to rise, we stopped listening to our senses and started obeying the clock.

When the mechanical clock arrived, people began thinking of their brains as operating “like clockwork.” Today, in the age of software, we have come to think of them as operating “like computers.” But the changes, neuroscience tells us, go much deeper than metaphor. Thanks to our brain’s plasticity, the adaptation occurs also at a biological level.

About the same time that Nietzsche started using his typewriter, an earnest young man named Frederick Winslow Taylor carried a stopwatch into the Midvale Steel plant in Philadelphia and began a historic series of experiments aimed at improving the efficiency of the plant’s machinists...

By breaking down every job into a sequence of small, discrete steps and then testing different ways of performing each one, Taylor created a set of precise instructions—an “algorithm,” we might say today—for how each worker should work. Midvale’s employees grumbled about the strict new regime, claiming that it turned them into little more than automatons, but the factory’s productivity soared.

Once his system was applied to all acts of manual labor, Taylor assured his followers, it would bring about a restructuring not only of industry but of society, creating a utopia of perfect efficiency. “In the past the man has been first,” he declared; “in the future the system must be first.”

Taylor’s system is still very much with us; it remains the ethic of industrial manufacturing. And now, thanks to the growing power that computer engineers and software coders wield over our intellectual lives, Taylor’s ethic is beginning to govern the realm of the mind as well.

Where does it end? Sergey Brin and Larry Page, the gifted young men who founded Google while pursuing doctoral degrees in computer science at Stanford, speak frequently of their desire to turn their search engine into an artificial intelligence, a HAL-like machine that might be connected directly to our brains. “

In a 2004 interview with Newsweek, Brin said, “Certainly if you had all the world’s information directly attached to your brain, or an artificial brain that was smarter than your brain, you’d be better off.”

Still, their easy assumption that we’d all “be better off” if our brains were supplemented, or even replaced, by an artificial intelligence is unsettling. It suggests a belief that intelligence is the output of a mechanical process, a series of discrete steps that can be isolated, measured, and optimized. In Google’s world, the world we enter when we go online, there’s little place for the fuzziness of contemplation. Ambiguity is not an opening for insight but a bug to be fixed. The human brain is just an outdated computer that needs a faster processor and a bigger hard drive."

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... id/306868/
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Why the Smart Reading Device of the Future May Be … Paper | WIRED

"When I need to read deeply—when I want to lose myself in a story or an intellectual journey, when focus and comprehension are paramount—I still turn to paper. Something just feels fundamentally richer about reading on it. And researchers are starting to think there’s something to this feeling.

To those who see dead tree editions as successors to scrolls and clay tablets in history’s remainder bin, this might seem like literary Luddism. But I e-read often: when I need to copy text for research or don’t want to carry a small library with me. There’s something especially delicious about late-night sci-fi by the light of a Kindle Paperwhite.

What I’ve read on screen seems slippery, though. When I later recall it, the text is slightly translucent in my mind’s eye. It’s as if my brain better absorbs what’s presented on paper. Pixels just don’t seem to stick. And often I’ve found myself wondering, why might that be?

The usual explanation is that internet devices foster distraction, or that my late-thirty-something brain isn’t that of a true digital native, accustomed to screens since infancy. But I have the same feeling when I am reading a screen that’s not connected to the internet and Twitter or online Boggle can’t get in the way. And research finds that kids these days consistently prefer their textbooks in print rather than pixels. Whatever the answer, it’s not just about habit.

Maybe it’s time to start thinking of paper and screens another way: not as an old technology and its inevitable replacement, but as different and complementary interfaces, each stimulating particular modes of thinking. Maybe paper is a technology uniquely suited for imbibing novels and essays and complex narratives, just as screens are for browsing and scanning."

https://www.wired.com/2014/05/reading-o ... sus-paper/
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Wed May 03, 2017 2:00 pm

DangerDave2010 wrote:I'll read paper books when clicking the words will show up the definition.

Admittedly paper is very old school but having to hold the word in your memory while looking up the definition in a paper dictionary is a good exercise. My mom, who holds a degree in two foreign languages, looks up every single word in two dictionaries, writes words down along with definitions and some examples, and then she simply moves on. She does not study her notes (but she does consult them when she's re-reading the page she is working on) and she may look up the "same" word several times. She is currently studying a new language using the same approach.
Last edited by reineke on Thu May 04, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Voytek wrote:"The New Science of Learning: How to Learn in Harmony With Your Brain".

Another interesting exerpts:

In a 2008 study Shams and Seitz found that multisensory learning is essential to increasing the probability that the human brain will retain information from a particular event. Their research found that people generally remember little of what they either read or hear (as little as 10–20%) but that they retain 50% of what they both see and hear (Shams & Seitz, 2008).

In a 1998 study, students were found to have three times better recall of visual information over oral information, and six times better recall when the information was presented using both oral and visual methods at the same time rather than just oral methods (Najjar, 1998).
Last edited by Voytek on Wed May 03, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Wed May 03, 2017 3:01 pm

There's something else that I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread. As much as I prefer reading on paper to reading on any sort of screen, it is often going to be far less expensive and more time effective for me to read things in German on a computer or ereader than in hard copy. Given that I live in the US, it makes next to no sense to keep up with written news in German via waiting for a newspaper to get from Germany to the Oregon. Never mind the cost of paying for a subscription to a newspaper that needs to be flown across an ocean and then across a continent. If I had no other option and, more importantly, I had the money to pay for a subscription then I would, but that's not the case.

While I can get a handful of German magazines here, they cost, in some cases, two to three times as much as they would if I were to buy them in Germany, Austria, or Switzerland. It make significantly more financial sense for me to pay for a digital subscription to a magazine like Geo than it does for me to buy a hard copy of it. There are also of course periodicals that have the vast majority of their content online for free, so again with the savings. Staying in the German centric wrealm, the Goethe Institut has an elibrary that, this year, is free for people in the US though in the past it was around $20 a year. While they don't have everything I want to read, they have tens of thousands (maybe hundreds of thousands) of books and almost all of the periodicals I want to read (including the German edition of Wired ;) ).

So yes, I prefer to books and periodicals in hard copy, but if doing that means that I either won't read something because of cost or availability or I will read about something topical weeks to months after it happened then I'll choose a digital version.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Voytek
Green Belt
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Postby Voytek » Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 pm

From the book I'm reading...

Reading textbooks can also be difficult because silent reading is a unisensory experience—only our eyes are involved. In addition, reading is a visually heavy process. In fact, reading is the slowest way humans input information into their brains (Dehaene, 2009).

A very interesting thing about learning from text:

Annotation is a simple process of making notes in the margin of the textbook that identify, in your own words, the important concepts, ideas, facts, and details. By using your pencil, you add the sense of touch to the reading process, making it multisensory. And there are two additional benefits of annotation. First, by translating what you are reading into your own words, you are identifying whether you understand what you are reading. If you can’t translate the material, you don’t yet understand it. The process of translation greatly adds to your comprehension and recall of the text material. Second, using your own words is one of the best ways to make remembering what you read easier. Your own words are your most familiar pattern, and using familiar patterns makes learning easier.

Learning and recall are made significantly easier when you use a multisensory approach. The more senses involved, the more memory pathways created and the more opportunities to recall the information. If at all possible, never try to learn or study using just one sensory pathway.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”