Can one calculate comprehension?

General discussion about learning languages
Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Can one calculate comprehension?

Postby Iversen » Fri May 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Iversen wrote:The 80% are nonsense, but my claim to understand 80% is a countable entity on which you can do statistical analyses.

Cainntear wrote:----There have been studies suggesting that teachers' gut reactions to student essays are as reliable at determining final grades are as good as, if not better than, careful and conscious marking with a red pen.

I noticed this part of Cainntear's message when I reread the thread, and I find it quite relevant to repeat it. The quantified gut feelings of our teachers may be rubbish for all sort of scientific and practical reasons, and final grades may depend on irrelevant factors, but if you can demonstrate that there is a positive correlation between the two things then the gut feeling indications have to a certain extent been vindicated.

Now I just want to want to know whether a similar correlation exists between our personal comprehension estimates and the final grades of those who for some reason have been trapped in some kind of formal teaching system.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”