Reading first?

General discussion about learning languages
reineke
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Engrish

Re: Reading first?

Postby reineke » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:50 pm

After around 300 hours of listening to Brazilian Portuguese, the texts written in this language finally have a flavor (it's not piña colada).
2 x

garyb
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (advanced), Italian (advanced)
Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 pm

Ani wrote:I think FSI French Phonology is actually a very weak course. I never see anyone post that opinion so I am jumping in to say it :) I did it as a beginner, very very thoroughly. I hand wrote each lesson and listened to the tracks a minimum of 5x each, often quite a few times more. I actually can't believe now how much I ended up missing, either through lack of clarity of the course or omission. I am not even sure. I would very much recommend CLE's phonétique progressive du français as an alternative, and taking the time to learn IPA (which is included in the CLE course).

I agree, and I'm happy to see somebody suggest an alternative! My opinion so far has been "it's not great, but I'm not sure what's better!".

I don't have much to contribute to the topic itself; I can only agree on listening first, reading later.
1 x

BOLIO
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (intermediate)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1077

Postby BOLIO » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 am

I am not a learner of multiple languages like OP but my struggles stem from listening too little in the beginning of my learning.

Next language will be intensive and extensive listening 3 to 1 vs reading in the early stages. Just my opinion.
1 x
Reminder to myself: Perfection is useless and harmful. Just keep moving forward.

Voytek
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish-Southern (N)
English-Non Regional (C2)
Spanish-Andalusian (C1+)
Swedish-Standard (B2)
German (A1)

Postby Voytek » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 am

In my opinion it's a bad idea to start reading before you've mastered spelling, pronunciation and prosody because if you haven't done so you'll encounter later problems with speaking "like a native" due "subvoicing" you're using while reading. Yes, you can start reading without mastering those three things if you don't care much about "sounding like a native".

After many, many hours of learning English I started reading and listening simultaneously to improve my prosody and pronunciation and it works but it'll take much more time to master it than it would have taken if I had started to do it in the beginning of my study. Unforunately, I couln't do so due learning the language in a primary school where methods of teaching were lame.

Now I'm using the L-R method (reading in Polish and listening in Swedish) with my study of Swedish and when I've acquired a sufficient vocabulary I'll start reading and listening simultaneously in the language. I'm definitely not going to start reading in Swedish untill I've reached a sufficient level (C1, I guess). It would ruin the effects of my prosody and pronunciation training. I'm using the Swedish frequency word list so I only have to be patient and "wait" untill I will be able to use that method (L-R in a TL).

I'm using Anki for the vocabulary acquisition and the L-R method for "connecting" words, for building "a linguistic web". It works like a charm and I only spend one hour a day for buildig this web plus 1,5 hour for putting words into it and reviewing them. I don't claim that it's the best method and will work for everyone but for me it's perfect.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”