Your Language Learning Strategy...In 50 Words or so

General discussion about learning languages
patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Re: Your Language Learning Strategy...In 50 Words or so

Postby patrickwilken » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm

garyb wrote:Some posters have a very liberal interpretation of "50 words or so"!

Thanks. Post edited as requested.
1 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Interested in: Mongolian, Finnish, Turkish, Russian.

Previously Studied: Latin, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Turkish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=165080

Postby RachelMeier » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:58 pm

Korean and Mandarin: Generallly, I don’t let myself watch unlimited media in a language until I finish the available Pimsleur courses. Then I try to slowly go through the grammar. Usually after I study grammar up to A2 I realize I’m terribly behind in vocab and then I don’t study grammar for a while and just study vocab while I watch shows. Then I study intermediate grammar again. Then I turn up at some official course with a bizarre mixture of super-high comprehension abilities, amazing vocabulary, but still less speaking ability than a 3 year old lol.

Classical Chinese: Try to study and finish Chinese through Poetry. Fail. Try. Fail. Try. Fail. Try. Fail. Try—> current position. Time: 4 years.
2 x

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:08 pm

As someone who loves books and structured learning, here's what I've done with French:

Start with pronunciation, a beginner's course (preferably a physical course*) and a beginner's grammar book. Stick to your routine.

After that, experiment with native media. Get new resources that are at your level or higher, challenge yourself, and then adjust as necessary. Constantly set the bar higher. Opt for physical resources when possible.

Where I am now, I'm really starting to push myself into new territory with advanced-level courses and an iTalki tutor, and it has been working well.

*My language-learning strategy doesn't work so well when I try to use free online material. I get too distracted by the overwhelming amount of resources available and then I end up switching my resources too often. Personally I think it's better to focus on 1-3 quality learning materials.
5 x

dmoisan
Languages: English (native), French (appx. B2)

Postby dmoisan » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:04 am

I started learning French in January 2017, as a coping strategy (long story). I used Fluent Forever and went through Gabe's pronunciation pack. I bailed on Anki and flashcards because the way Gabe describe it, most of my effort would have been making flashcards. No.

I used Schaum's Outline's for French grammar; I went through Memrise and Lingvist apps just to get vocabulary sooner, and I spent the rest of the time between then and now just learning to read. (and failing to listen, but that's another post.)

Only now am I doing an organized program; I subscribed to Lawless French and I will engage with it until I reach C1. I love to write in French, and this program is the closest thing I have seen to SRS for grammar. I don't mind spending the money--it will improve my confidence in all areas. In January, I tested on Dialang and came out B1. I belong to our local Alliance Française and I intend to get a formal test there to determine how far I need to go for C1. Then I will formally study.

Otherwise, I feel very strongly that I am learning French culture first, and the language hand-in-hand. The more I discover, the more I love. In fact, I have developed such a profound love of Francophone culture, that I am convinced French chose me!
2 x

victorhart
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Brazilian Portuguese (N), Spanish (advanced fluency), French (intermediate fluency), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby victorhart » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:31 am

I have two possible answers to this questions: (1) what I consider the ideal strategy and (2) my Mandarin Experiment. I'll describe the second in this reply.

I am attempting to learn Mandarin (just oral comprehension) exclusively by watching authentic videos, such as movies and children's shows, for about half an hour per day. I am not allowed to do any formal study, take any classes, or converse in Chinese. I keep track of all my viewing and will watch a total of 1,200 hours.
0 x
linguanaturalis.com

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:30 am

Mine:
Learn alphabet
Get an impression of the grammar
Learn first 300 words
Learn whole sentences about relevant topics
Read in context
Extensive reading
One a one tutoring
Extensive listening
Pick a new language
Repeat
5 x

MattNeilsen
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Hebrew (studying - beginner)
Spanish (passive, beginner)
Mandarin (mostly forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8869

Postby MattNeilsen » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:41 am

victorhart wrote:I have two possible answers to this questions: (1) what I consider the ideal strategy and (2) my Mandarin Experiment. I'll describe the second in this reply.

I am attempting to learn Mandarin (just oral comprehension) exclusively by watching authentic videos, such as movies and children's shows, for about half an hour per day. I am not allowed to do any formal study, take any classes, or converse in Chinese. I keep track of all my viewing and will watch a total of 1,200 hours.

This sounds interesting - I'm definitely curious to see how it plays out.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider an ideal strategy?
0 x
Hebrew
Pimsleur Level 2: 21 / 30
FSI : 3 / 40
Clozemaster 101-500 Most Common Words: 1600 / 4825
Srugim Season 3: 1 / 15
1100 hours of study/input : 160 / 1100

Mooby
Orange Belt
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:07 pm

In exactly 50 words (apologies in advance):

Train tongue to pronounce the impossible
even the verb 'chrzcić' is still perfectible
Build vocabulary brick by brick
join them in phrases nice and slick
Consume media in massive sessions
paying attention to unknown expressions
Step out and attempt to speak
overcome the label 'freak'
Go abroad
(as a reward).

* Chrzcić = the Polish imperfective verb for 'to baptize'
15 x

victorhart
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Brazilian Portuguese (N), Spanish (advanced fluency), French (intermediate fluency), Mandarin (beginner)

Postby victorhart » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:50 pm

MattNeilsen wrote:
victorhart wrote:Out of curiosity, what would you consider an ideal strategy?

My ideal strategy for fast and solid language acquisition, at least for languages that use the Latin alphabet and once you’ve gotten past the total beginner stage, in under 50 words, is as follows.

Roughly equal parts of immersive reading, listening, writing, and speaking.

Reading and listening to authentic materials that you find interesting.

Speaking with natives who are willing to constantly correct and model for you (generally, teachers).

Writing should be at least occasionally corrected by native speakers who write well.

While I think it will be hard to beat this simple approach in terms of speed and effectiveness of high-quality acquisition, I am currently working (in theory and in practice) on developing technology to make the process more fun, more motivational, less costly, and hopefully more powerful and efficient (while sticking to that basic approach). Certainly, I think specific technology can be critical in the beginning stages to get the full benefit of authentic materials. I also think it can potentially be very useful to identify level-appropriate authentic content that is highly interesting to students and to reinforce the feedback that is so important for students to advance continuously.

Thousands of hours are likely to remain necessary for mastery, regardless of strategy.
Last edited by victorhart on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
linguanaturalis.com

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm

For a long time my strategy was to flit from one resource to another in hopes that this would be the one to provide a major break through. I have 200+ reference books in Italian because of that. I still flit to a small degree as my attention span is short. The only constant now is watching film/series in my primary TL.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”