Your Language Learning Strategy...In 50 Words or so

General discussion about learning languages
I_likes_languages
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: German (N), English (C2)
Studying: French (C1), Mandarin (A1)
Atrophying: Italian (B1-2), Japanese (B1), Czech (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8281

Re: Your Language Learning Strategy...In 50 Words or so

Postby I_likes_languages » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Learn the alphabet and pronunciation rules.
Quickly learn the first 1000 words with sentences (anki).
Use Assimil. Add graded readers asap, start with those that come with audio. Get a grammar book.
Add language exchanges/tutors with the active wave. Write a few sentences every day. Don’t ever stop reading. Listen*.

*I ran out of words. But yeah, my approach to reach B1-2 is heavily based on graded readers. I already have a list of 500 pages of grade readers for the A1 level for whenever I’m going to start studying Spanish. This approach is of course much much harder to enact for rarer languages, but parallel texts are the next best option, even if the Quran or the Bible are the only source available. If you dig around, you can find graded readers for a lot of languages. Plain Language is also gaining more and more importance, so be on the look out for resources with that label. After that, continue with books for readers aged 10-12 and non-fiction in your area of expertise. Build it up from there.
3 x
~ Mühsam nährt sich das Eichhhörnchen ~
French: Half SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 50 Books: 0 / 50
Spanish: Full SC 20/21 Movies: 0 / 100 Books: 0 / 100

aitanamouton
Languages: spanish, english , french

Postby aitanamouton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:17 pm

Hi everyone, I learn speak english at the school, i never take extra class in some academy or something like that. But I work a lot at home, I watch TV in english, I read a lot too and I travel a lot, when I can, that helps me a lot. :P
I can speak French too, because my father is from France, and I believe that if you speak more tan one language it's more easy to learn an other, maybe the first language that you study it's hard, but then the third it's gonna to be more easy with the time.
so the answer for learn one language its learn more tan one.
I know that it's more easy practice speaking english in an english-speaking country, but you can do it to in your own country.
so, come on, they are no excuses.
let's learn languages for our future.
1 x

blancaesplu
Languages: English
Spanish
Valencian

Postby blancaesplu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi everyone, in my opinion learning a language is very important and a huge task. I'm learning English and I try to improve everyday doing some of this tips. First, you have to have a motivation to learn a language because if you don't have it, it will be like a obligation. Reading day-to-day is also important because you will be learning always new vocabulary.
Besides, watching series that you may like will help you a lot in the pronunciation. Finally I can only say that if you want to learn a language go ahead, you will do it!
7 x

mercheespert
Languages: Hi I'm Merche and I live in Valencia.
I speak Spanish

Postby mercheespert » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi guys,
From my point of view the most useful idea to learn english is reading a lot of books and watching films in english, because it will help you a lot to improve your vocabulary level.

Day-to-day I try to see more tv programs in english and read a big amount of books.

To my mind there are other succesful methods to improve your level, for instance you could search web pages in wich you have to fill the gaps or correct the mistakes...

However I think that the most important thing is to stay really keen on learn the language.
Come on, if you want you can do whatever you wish :)
2 x

marortuno
Languages: Spanish (N), English, Valencian

Postby marortuno » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm from Spain and I think speaking English is very important to my future so I've been learning it for a lot of years. I joined a group of English learners and I also learn it at school. I like how my English teacher teaches because we have to talk in front of the class and it's worth it for me because the most difficult aspect of speaking English is talking in public. For learning new vocabulary and grammar I watch series, films and I read in English. It's very useful!
Hope that helps! :D
Last edited by marortuno on Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

06luuciiaa
Languages: Spanish(N)
Eanglish(passed the A2)

How I learned English

Postby 06luuciiaa » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi everyone!
I’n Lucia and today I’m going to speack about how I learned Eanglish. When I was three years old my mum puts me invan academny, here I learned most of the vocabulary that I know.
An other way to learn English without waste much money, is reading books and watching films. It’s funny and also playful.
I think that English is an useful language that all the people must know.
2 x

marcmugo
Languages: I speak spanish and i'm learning english.

Postby marcmugo » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi. I'm Marc, i'm goig to tell you my experience about learning English. I think that the best way to learn english is read some books, starting in a low level until you have a good level, althought i don't like to read :lol: . Another idea, to learning is to search in a dictionary the worlds that appear in your daily life so step by step you will learn the language.
Last edited by marcmugo on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

MattNeilsen
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Hebrew (studying - beginner)
Spanish (passive, beginner)
Mandarin (mostly forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8869

Postby MattNeilsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:41 am

Mods - is there any way to shut down this spam posting?
2 x
Hebrew
Pimsleur Level 2: 21 / 30
FSI : 3 / 40
Clozemaster 101-500 Most Common Words: 1600 / 4825
Srugim Season 3: 1 / 15
1100 hours of study/input : 160 / 1100

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 am

MattNeilsen wrote:Mods - is there any way to shut down this spam posting?

I don’t see any spam. Are you referring to the recent posts above from young people who seem to be from the same institute, probably encouraged by their teacher? That’s not spam and their contributions are on topic. I have no problem with them. I hope they can continue.
3 x

MattNeilsen
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Hebrew (studying - beginner)
Spanish (passive, beginner)
Mandarin (mostly forgotten)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8869

Postby MattNeilsen » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:59 am

Adrianslont wrote:
MattNeilsen wrote:Mods - is there any way to shut down this spam posting?

I don’t see any spam. Are you referring to the recent posts above from young people who seem to be from the same institute, probably encouraged by their teacher? That’s not spam and their contributions are on topic. I have no problem with them. I hope they can continue.

If those are legitimate posts then I sincerely apologize. I’ve seen posts like that on other forums and it’s almost always a spammer/bot. Given the nearly identical nature of the posts I just assumed that was going on here. However, it didn’t occur to me that it might be a class assignment. That’s what I get for making assumptions :)
2 x
Hebrew
Pimsleur Level 2: 21 / 30
FSI : 3 / 40
Clozemaster 101-500 Most Common Words: 1600 / 4825
Srugim Season 3: 1 / 15
1100 hours of study/input : 160 / 1100

Return to “General Language Discussion”