What is your favorite part of language learning?

General discussion about learning languages
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: What is your favorite part of language learning?

Postby rlnv » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:22 am

Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.
2 x

moo

Postby moo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 am

rlnv wrote:Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.

No French music??
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:26 am

moo wrote:
rlnv wrote:Reading French books, watching French shows, and doing my daily Anki reps. I love doing Anki cards, I must be nuts.

No French music??

You are absolutely correct. :) I don't know how I forgot it. I have a bunch of French vinyl records that I've been collecting, I love listening them almost daily.
2 x

moo

Postby moo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:27 am

rlnv wrote:
moo wrote:

No French music??

You are absolutely correct. :) I don't know how I forgot it. I have a bunch of French vinyl records that I've been collecting, I love listening them almost daily.

:)
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:15 pm

moo wrote:No French music??

Here is a playlist of French music from the 1930's. Chansons françaises des années 30. I like them because the lyrics are easy to understand.

Here are more links to French music:
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

moo

Postby moo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:29 pm

tomgosse wrote:
moo wrote:No French music??

Here is a playlist of French music from the 1930's. Chansons françaises des années 30. I like them because the lyrics are easy to understand.

Here are more links to French music:

Cool !! :) I'll have a look soon :)
1 x

Zegpoddle
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), rusty French and German (formerly B2 in each), Russian (beginner), Mandarin Chinese (A2/HSK3)

Postby Zegpoddle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

There are three favorite parts for me:

(1) Discovering that I have a different personality in other languages. A little freaky and unsettling at first, but so liberating and mind-expanding. We all contain multitudes, but while we speak our mother tongue, those alter-egos are hidden from us. Learning additional languages is a key that unlocks the door to let some of our parallel selves emerge. (I guess illegal drugs can do that, too, but less safely and without any feeling of accomplishment.)

(2) Reaching the point where you can read a book in a second language you've learned and the pure beauty of the language sends shivers of pleasure through you. "This would lose everything in translation," you realize, and it's true. I can't bear to read anything by Jean Cocteau or Joseph Roth in English because I know what I am missing: 90% of what makes their prose so magical.

(3) Fetishistically caressing the latest language textbooks and CDs I've spent too much money on, but haven't yet started using, and fantasizing about all the time I'm going to have in the future to use them. If half the fun of a trip is in the planning, at least seven-eighths of the fun of buying language study materials is dreaming about the distant day I'll actually open them and learn something.
3 x
Graciously begging our alien overlords to remember to refresh the batteries regularly in their toddler’s cosmic Game Boy on which the simulation that is my life is running ;)

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Zegpoddle wrote:(3) Fetishistically caressing the latest language textbooks and CDs I've spent too much money on, but haven't yet started using, and fantasizing about all the time I'm going to have in the future to use them. If half the fun of a trip is in the planning, at least seven-eighths of the fun of buying language study materials is dreaming about the distant day I'll actually open them and learn something.

I agree with all your points, but this one really speaks to me. :)
2 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 pm

I like the beginning, when I discover the grammar and the inner logic of the language, and when I try to imitate the audio tracks of my courses. Imitate is the most funny part for me. I'm rather good at that game (well, that's what I think, because when I listen to my voice-recorder I've sometimes bad surprises, but it's the same pleasure as singing).
Also I like the high level, when I can read or watch anything without problems.
What I don't like is acquiring vocabulary. Boring, repetitive and frustrating especially because I don't have a good memory.
3 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Going to the country and using it (especially speaking, but also just understanding what I'm hearing and seeing around me), as it makes me feel like all my effort has been worthwhile. Using it in my own country doesn't quite have the same satisfaction as it can feel a bit contrived knowing they we could just use English like they do with the other locals, although it's still fun and it's a means to an end.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”