Swedish B1
Inari Sami A2
Russian A1
Czech A0/A1
Chinese beginner
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5342

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2017

Postby Pilikku » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:03 pm

If I make this, maybe I will get some motivation. It's written and published and I can't avoid it.

Swedish: This is the most important promise I have to make. I will pass the mandatory test! I can't graduate from the University until I do. And I tell you. This is hard. I have so much negative feelings towards this language that it's like the Limbo to me. I don't know what I am doing..

Japanese: This is the most important language to me. I love it. I would like to pass the N2 test in Japanese this year. I have been avoiding it. I did the mock test at the University last year and I passed it, barely, so I had no confident. I don't want to pay the fees and then fail it.

Russian: I want to be able to have a conversation in Russian. This language is my second love. I don't even know why, but this will be hard, since I don't like to speak at all before I am around B1-B2. So here will be lots of tv shows and reading in the future.

Chinese: Just passing the class is enough.
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:32 pm

Poof and it's April :shock: How is everyone going with their 2017 resolutions?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:55 pm

smallwhite wrote:Poof and it's April :shock: How is everyone going with their 2017 resolutions?

It's still March here. ;)

I took a quickie test to see where I am at in French, and it said I was A1. Still got a ways to go before I'm B1!
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:41 pm

smallwhite wrote:Poof and it's April :shock: How is everyone going with their 2017 resolutions?
Not there yet, but I'm still on the path. :-)
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:44 pm

Xmmm wrote:Russian:

I just want to do a lot of listening-reading and build my vocabulary and listening comprehension.

2017 goals:
known words: 8736 -> 15000 [14606]
words read: 1.2 million -> 2.0 million [1.515 million]

Italian:

I'm starting Italian in 2017 as a side project to Russian. I'm not 100% sure I'll stick with it. I'd like to do an experiment to see how far I can get using only LingQ ... no textbooks, no flash cards, nothing else. Just passively soaking up the language through reading and listening.

2017 goals:
known words: 149 -> 3000 [5060]
words read: 4702 -> 250000 [124919]

I'm amazed that I'm doing so well on my goals. Good thing I never updated this to include Turkish. :(
4 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:06 pm

That's very impressive, Xmmm - малодец! I'm ashamed to say that I'll need to get my ролики (skates) on in Russian, and maybe even attach some rocket boosters to them, in order to reach C1 at the end of the year as planned. I have however gone from a complete beginner to what I estimate is a comfortable B1 level in New Zealand Sign Language (thanks to pushing forward in the 6 Week Challenge last month), which makes 1 out of 3 of my language goals for 2017. Just two more goals to go...
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:20 pm

Ani wrote:The broad outline is:
24 books and 12 audio books in French
Specific tasks to improve writing
+ 1 course

Get back on track and finish Assimil Finnish or find another suitable course ('cause I decided I Hate Assimil)
Read a first book in Finnish this year

Dabble in Russian enough claim A1 by the end of the year :)

24 books are going well. I changed my goal to 10,000 pages since books are so variable in length. I'm about to finish book 8 and around 3500 pages. The audio books are going very poorly. Every time I put one on, I fall asleep :lol: I am going to use them as passive listening and not worry about whether I have listened well enough to "count it". I'm moving my listening goal to 300 hours of tv (basically on track for that). I might count MOOC hours our I might watch the MOOCs on top of that without counting. Undecided for now.

1 course. Well. I did half of Phonétique Progressive du Français débutant in the last two days so I will certainly finish at least one course this year but that isn't really what I had in mind for the goal. I should have been more specific.

Finnish has been dropped to make more brain space to study Greek with my son. His passion was unanticipated and I'm pretty excited about it. A worthy trade.

I'm plugging along with Russian. I hope to complete Le Russe À Votre Rythme volume 1 by the end of the year. By strict page count I am a bit behind, but I'm working consistently according to the plan so I'll get as far as I get.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:06 pm

gsbod wrote:Find more time to read real books (in any language) by spending less time aimlessly browsing the same three websites.

Finish the SC in German and carry on towards my goal of 10,000 German pages (still no time limit on this).

The fact I'm even posting this demonstrates that my first resolution isn't going so well.

I'd like to have been a bit further along in my German SC, but it's progressing and what I need to do over the next 9 months to complete it is still achievable.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Ani wrote:1 course. Well. I did half of Phonétique Progressive du Français débutant in the last two days so I will certainly finish at least one course this year but that isn't really what I had in mind for the goal. I should have been more specific.

Wow! I'm in awe of people who can go through half of a book in two days. Congratulations. I'm lucky to do a chapter in a week. Even then I usually poop out after a chapter or two.

All the best,
Tom
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:54 pm

tomgosse wrote:Wow! I'm in awe of people who can go through half of a book in two days. Congratulations. I'm lucky to do a chapter in a week. Even then I usually poop out after a chapter or two.

All the best,
Tom

Oh! You could do this one quickly. I am not writing anything at all and only listening to each lesson once, while marking just a few for review at the end (cause I stink at IPA and I want to fix that). The total time investment was 4 minutes per lesson * 26 lessons = 1.7 hours :)

Even if you went more slowly, this is a nice course because each chapter is so short and to the point.
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “General Language Discussion”