Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2017

General discussion about learning languages
Melis
Languages: English (N), Norwegian(A2)

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2017

Postby Melis » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Continue to do about 40 minutes a day of Anki vocabulary in Norwegian
Continue to translate at least one newspaper article a day (but be more regular about it)
Add a minimum of 2 hours a day of listening or watching tv and movies in Norwegian

Also
Continue to study math every day
Continue to work on Linux
Complete 1 painting a month
3 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:53 am

For all of my languages:
- Get some regular speaking practice organised
- Alternate languages when reading (1 book in English, 1 in Spanish, 1 in Italian etc.)
- Watch less youtube and more tv shows/films etc.
- Listen to more podcasts

Spanish and Italian:
- Get on the grammar books and get serious (again)

Esperanto:
- Work towards conversational fluency in general

German:
- Actually start learning it?
3 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:36 pm

Well, first priority is to get a good mark on my masters then go somewhere nice and teach English there while learning the local language.

However, next year, I also want to contribute more to the internet's growing source of free material.

I'll complete the proofreading and correction of FSI's La Francophonie that I started (and lost a lot of due to a hard-drive failure -- I haven't touched it since, as it was kind of depressing how long it had been since I took a backup).

I'll also contribute a recording a day of English to tatoeba and/or other sites. (But not literally one a day, more like seven a week, probably in one sitting.)
4 x

July
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), French (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5248

Postby July » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:11 pm

For Spanish in 2017 - Take the DELE C2 in November. Yes, that's my huge, crazy goal this year. I don't really expect to pass it in 2017, but I'm planning to take it anyway and see what happens. I have bought C2 exam books and am gearing up to learn every single word and idiom I still don't quite know. And perfect every aspect of grammar which may sometimes still slip out wrong.

That means an enormous amount of work this year, so I'm not really making any other plans. At some point in the summer I'll probably dabble a bit in German as I have a craving to understand it better, at least to be able to read it, but Spanish is where all my focus will need to be for the next 11 months.

It's exciting. I feel like at last I'm finally getting to a point where everything is starting to fall into place.
3 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:01 pm

I regret not making one last year, so this year I will definitely be setting at least one.

My main goal will be to reach at least a B2 level in German by the end of the year. I will not be happy with anything less.

Smaller resolutions include;
Reading at least a little every day
Carry on writing a short text a day on Italki - Though I will be happy with three a week.
Hopefully get at least two Skype conversations a week (This will be trickiest as it is not fully in my hands)
Get back to Memrising daily
Keep both German for English speakers and English for German speakers golden on Duolingo.
Finish DW Deutsch interaktiv
Make sure that I watch at least an hour of something in German a day (I started getting lazy and only watching an episode of something)
Finish Assimil

Swedish
Finnish Duolingo tree
Try and study at least a few pages a week of Nya Mål
Try and do some memrise (ten words a day, perhaps)

French
Try and make myself actually like French...
Complete Pimsleur
Complete Duolingo tree
Try and do some Memrise (Again, possibly ten words a day)

..........................................................................................................................................
Let's hope I will not be cringing too much upon re-reading this post next year. Annd, I wish everyone all the best with their resolutions for next year!
2 x

LanguageSponge
White Belt
Languages: English (native), German, French, Italian, Russian, Japanese

Postby LanguageSponge » Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:34 pm

I am usually extraordinarily bad at keeping to these, so I am going to set two simple ones that I know I will enjoy fulfiling and one which will require a fair bit more effort from me, if it even gets off the ground. I hope no one minds a bit of a story wth the first two goals, but I guess without background, this would just be a list.

German

As has been the case every Christmas since I was eleven, I am spending most of it with extended family. Throughout my teenage years and into my early twenties I was with a German girl who I had met in early secondary school. She died several years ago, but I am still very close to her family, most of whom live in southern Germany. My German is still fairly good, or at least it is in my head, but it's not as good as it might have been had things turned out a bit more favourably. I have two goals for German for this coming year:

Firstly I would like to get back to a point where words come out a bit more quickly. A few years ago this wouldn't have been a problem but recently I've watched back a few videos and even had a few comments from people who've noticed I used to speak a bit more confidently. I want to try to get that back. This is a pretty personal thing for me, my connection to German always has been and always will be, but that's why I know eventually I'll get it back to where I want it to be.

Secondly I want to write more in German. I have looked back at things I wrote years ago like letters, diaries, school essays and even silly notes I wrote to my fiancée and her siblings when we were teenagers, even jokes and stupid pranks, and remembered recently how much I used to enjoy writing in German, which I don't do anymore and haven't done in several years. Writing again will probably help make speaking easier if I read it back, at least that's how it used to work when I was first learning. I'm not going to force myself to write a certain amount within a given timeframe because that will pressure me in a way that I know will affect me negatively. I might post some of it here but it would be more to remind myself of my level at any given point in time than a showcase to you guys of how good or bad I am. The goals for this are twofold: firstly to enjoy it and secondly to challenge myself in some small way. Both of those will of course happen naturally thanks to the personal nature of my connection to German.

French

The third part is a challenge I say I will try every year and usually drop very quickly afterwards, this hardly ever even gets out of January. I want to get back into French. My written French is good and it has been for a long time, but I can hardly open my mouth anymore. I can write long emails to friends and even try my hand at academic writing but I currently can't even utter Je m'appelle LanguageSponge without stuttering or getting annoyed at how the sounds get stuck in my throat. I have several lovely and encouraging French friends as well as British ones who speak French, they will gladly help... if I can get over the nerves and the stubbornness involved in asking for said help.
2 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:42 am

2017 Resolution: To finish studying German.
2017 Resolution: To finish studying Italian.

I started learning German in 2009 and Italian in 2011, but have only spent 284 and 231 days on them, ie. average 41 days per year, which is hardly enough for maintenance, let alone improvement. Recently, I've been looking at my study plans and forecasts, and noticed that I should be able to bring to B2 and thus finish off 3 languages in 2017 - Italian only has ~40 days to go, German ~80 and Swedish ~110, total ~230 days to go. I study about 330 days a year so it's not laziness that's the problem - it's wanderlust.

2017 Wish: To finish studying Swedish.

Swedish is a low-priority language for me so I'm making it just a wish and not a resolution to finish.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:36 am

To become proficient in Korean and to make some progress with Persian.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:32 am

This year I would like to
  • Sit and pass the TISUS muntligfärdighet
  • Go steady(ish?) with German
  • Get in more Finnish
  • Start up Korean again?
  • POLISH 2017 Y'ALL
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:46 am

I don't really do resolutions for a few reasons including most tied to my mental health. It's not smart for me to have a resolution to take the TestDaF in 2017 even though it's a current goal of mine.

That said, my goal is to not stop studying German even when I get overwhelmed.
4 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “General Language Discussion”