Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2017

General discussion about learning languages
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Your Language-related New Year's Resolutions 2017

Postby smallwhite » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:00 pm

2017 Resolution: To finish studying Italian.

Achieved! I started learning Italian in 2011 but kept spending too little time on it. Finally got my act together in December and January and finally reached B2.

2017 Resolution: To finish studying German.
2017 Wish: To finish studying Swedish.

Listening and reading have reached B2. Output should be achievable within this year.

2017 Bonus: Finished studying Dutch.

Dutch was a bonus! I usually rotate between languages so much I get lost and reach nowhere. But Dutch was so fun I managed not to wander too far, and reached B2 in February this year.

So, an excellent first quarter :P
7 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:34 am

We are in the second half of 2017 already! Have you achieved half of your resolutions for the year? Or have you forgotten half of them instead? Share with us and inspire us!
3 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:19 am

My language related resolutions looked like this at the beginning of the year:
1. Break through the comprehension barrier in Russian so that I can read without a dictionary and watch series. To achieve that my goal was to read at least 5000 pages.
2. Reach 10,000 pages read, and 300h watched in French.

I achieved goal the French goal a couple of days ago and tested C2 reading and C1 listening in the Dialang test after being an absolute beginner a year ago. I'm definitely feeling pretty good about myself right now :D

Work on my Russian goal is going a bit more slowly than I had hoped, because my health was kind of keeping me from intensive studying, but I have at least read 300 pages in Russian already and there are ~8500 known word forms in my LWT database now. I was kinda aiming for 35,000, so I've reached about 24% of my goal. Reading always goes more slowly at the beginning, so I'm hoping that my reading speed will pick up substantially once I'm through my first 500 pages. August will be devoted entirely to reading in Russian, so I it's likely that I will reach my goal.

I have also added a bunch of Spanish goals a few months ago: 5000 pages intensive reading in Spanish, a triple audio SC and a full-on grammar mission including GdUdE and FSI, additionally to my full month speaking practice. This way I'm actually improving my Spanish rather than just maintaining it. I'm 58% through my audio goals and making good progress on my grammar mission. Intensive reading will start after the next 6WC and my speaking month is scheduled for October. The idea is to reach solid C1+ comprehension and ~C1 speaking by the end of the year. My speaking has already improved quite a bit and I'm making good progress on my listening comprehension too. I'm pretty sure I'll reach my goals.
8 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:02 am

-Write at least an A4 page a week in French and Spanish.

- Take a new official test in English that I can actually put on my cv, work on grammar and etc. with that in mind.

- Take an uncomplicated in person test in French and Spanish, something like a school diploma or similar. Work on things with that in mind, maybe even take classes.

- Get a damned more serious about Irish and Catalan.

- Learn how to at least read Devanagari script, pick a language that uses it and not change my mind every other day.

- Learn to read either German or Russian at least enough to be able to read articles.

Good luck to everyone in 2017!

The only thing I haven't worked on so far is writing the A4 page in French and Spanish every week. I can also forget about taking the "simple" tests, I've learned since that they would cost me too much money to be worth it. I'll work on my languages and take the recognised tests in a few years instead. Same thing with classes. Currently working on my languages + German in the background. Trying to make my handwritten devanagari and cyrillic readable. ;). I've made up my mind as to which Indian language to do first, but now I can't decide between German or Russian. Oh well.
2 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:30 pm

gsbod wrote:Find more time to read real books (in any language) by spending less time aimlessly browsing the same three websites.

Finish the SC in German and carry on towards my goal of 10,000 German pages (still no time limit on this).

My rate of reading real books has increased this year, despite the fact that I still fall back into the aimless internet browsing more often than I would like.

I've stopped tracking TV for the German SC as it no longer feels relevant for me as I've already reached the 10,000 minute goal I set for myself and I know when I've not been listening enough and usually take steps to address it which doesn't require me to keep track of time spent.

I'm just over half way to 10,000 German pages. Go me!
5 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:08 pm

Resolution: To finish studying Italian.
Accomplished in Quarter 1.

Resolution: To finish studying German.
Finished studying Dutch instead, so sort of accomplished.
Did next to nothing in German.

Wish: To finish studying Swedish.
Did next to nothing in Swedish.

Started Greek, good progress, great fun, can't complain.
2 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:36 pm

Xmmm wrote:Russian:

I just want to do a lot of listening-reading and build my vocabulary and listening comprehension.

2017 goals:
known words: 8736 -> 15000
words read: 1.2 million -> 2.0 million

Italian:

I'm starting Italian in 2017 as a side project to Russian. I'm not 100% sure I'll stick with it. I'd like to do an experiment to see how far I can get using only LingQ ... no textbooks, no flash cards, nothing else. Just passively soaking up the language through reading and listening.

2017 goals:
known words: 149 -> 3000
words read: 4702 -> 250000

Well, for known words I met the goals already. For words read I got pretty close in Russian at 1.5 million+. In Italian I got to about 150000.

But I've chucked my goals at this point. Listening-Reading with novels and articles was improving my passive vocabulary only. From January until April my listening comprehension of a typical Russian TV drama hovered constantly at 20-25% with no noticeable improvement despite all the increased vocabulary.

I promised myself I would not end up as a C1 reader with an A1 in everything else, and I'm keeping that promise.

So, I've veered off into TV land. For many years I was pretty ascetic about watching TV in English. I felt it was a colossal waste of time. So watching two or three hours of TV a day in Russian or Italian feels strangely decadent. I guess I'm basically taking the rest of the year off. :)
2 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:25 pm

tomgosse wrote:My New Year Resolution is pretty much the same as last year: 2016. I will try and learn as much French as I can. I may dabble in Russian.

I wish all of you a Happy New Year,
Tom

This is what I'm still working on: I will study, listen to, read, speak, and learn a lot of French! Simple enough! I find that it is no good for me to set goals such as read so many pages, watch so many hours of film, or write so many pages. I never complete them, then I feel guilty about it. I try to do something every day even if it's just reviewing a section on duolingo.

All the best,
Tom

P.S. I did not dabble in Russian.
5 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:38 pm

tomgosse wrote:P.S. I did not dabble in Russian.

Yet....
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:19 pm

smallwhite wrote:2017 Resolution: To finish studying Italian.

Achieved! I started learning Italian in 2011 but kept spending too little time on it. Finally got my act together in December and January and finally reached B2.

2017 Resolution: To finish studying German.
2017 Wish: To finish studying Swedish.

Listening and reading have reached B2. Output should be achievable within this year.

2017 Bonus: Finished studying Dutch.

Dutch was a bonus! I usually rotate between languages so much I get lost and reach nowhere. But Dutch was so fun I managed not to wander too far, and reached B2 in February this year.

So, an excellent first quarter :P

smallwhite,

you are very intelligent, incredible.
3 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Return to “General Language Discussion”