Grammar through massive input (exposure)

General discussion about learning languages
tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Grammar through massive input (exposure)

Postby tarvos » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:55 am

Cainntear wrote:It would be useful if you quoted the specific statements you were objecting to here. I'm assuming you're responding to Cavesa, but you really seem to be overstating what he actually said. If you are, it's important to keep in mind that Cavesa specifically mentioned the CEFR, which puts the focus on the European teaching world, and as a North American language teacher, that is a field you don't work in.

Before I get into the minefield that is this discussion... Cavesa is a she.

As for the point that youtube polyglots neglect their previous language studies... here's the thing. Does it really matter? Novices have to learn to notice, but that is also a skill you as a teacher have to impart. When I teach I particularly draw attention to things that I feel students have to notice, especially morphological things, or words close to English, or spelling changes in different languages for words that have the same meaning. They may be better at this skill because they have more practice, but it doesn't mean that they are being disingenuous. They just learnt it earlier.

As for formal language studies... I have worked in TEFL (and still somewhat do). But I never studied languages at university - I have a degree in the sciences. I guess I'm just another youtube polyglot.

Keep in mind that Steve Kaufmann was a diplomat and had intensive Mandarin training. He's been through the system a few times. That he has investments in LingQ makes him biased, of course, but you could say that for anyone selling a product.
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Marais

Postby Marais » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 am

s_allard wrote:Really, we once again have a display of this constant and tiresome bashing of modern language teaching. I especially take exception to these broad statements about the state of language teaching from someone who does not work in the field of teaching and who seems particularly ignorant of current trends and developments.

Language teaching is rubbish. The stats back it up and anyone that's been to school can confirm it. You don't need to be a teacher to know this.

I don't have to work in catering to know McDo's is garbage. We little people are the customers of these teachers who are failing year after year. If a course turned out qualified mechanical engineers who couldn't identify a head gasket it would be called a catastrophic failure. This is what language teaching worldwide in public institutions is - a catastrophic failure.
2 x

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am

tarvos wrote:
Cainntear wrote:It would be useful if you quoted the specific statements you were objecting to here. I'm assuming you're responding to Cavesa, but you really seem to be overstating what he actually said. If you are, it's important to keep in mind that Cavesa specifically mentioned the CEFR, which puts the focus on the European teaching world, and as a North American language teacher, that is a field you don't work in.

Before I get into the minefield that is this discussion... Cavesa is a she.

As for the point that youtube polyglots neglect their previous language studies... here's the thing. Does it really matter? Novices have to learn to notice, but that is also a skill you as a teacher have to impart. When I teach I particularly draw attention to things that I feel students have to notice, especially morphological things, or words close to English, or spelling changes in different languages for words that have the same meaning. They may be better at this skill because they have more practice, but it doesn't mean that they are being disingenuous. They just learnt it earlier.

As for formal language studies... I have worked in TEFL (and still somewhat do). But I never studied languages at university - I have a degree in the sciences. I guess I'm just another youtube polyglot.

Keep in mind that Steve Kaufmann was a diplomat and had intensive Mandarin training. He's been through the system a few times. That he has investments in LingQ makes him biased, of course, but you could say that for anyone selling a product.

I know we happen to live in a time where overreacting is the norm, but I don't see why anyone is taking offense to the generalization, "youtube polyglot".

I would be thrilled if I reached a point (I never will) to be generalized as such. It means I would have joined a group that has achieved success on Youtube (meaning I probably achieved certain success elsewhere in life which makes me interesting) and I've learned several languages.

As far as being disingenuous, it's simply how I feel (a guess really as I'm unsure) in regards to this singular point regarding these folk, it's not an overall personal attack. Plus, it's more or less a question at the end of the day since I'm not sure why they don't regard their formal training (wherever they received it) highly enough to mention it much, except in passing on very few occasions.

Whether or not you'd fall under this generalization: well if you match the criteria mentioned above then sure, why not? Even if some people decide to use it in an explicit derogatory context, it still denotes impressive feats all by itself. Take it as a compliment ;)

EDIT: Grammar, spelling, etc. Typing on a cell phone :-(
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:56 am

tarvos wrote:Before I get into the minefield that is this discussion... Cavesa is a she.

Sorry! I tried to avoid pronouns as much as I could because I didn't know.
As for the point that youtube polyglots neglect their previous language studies... here's the thing. Does it really matter?
Yes, because...
Novices have to learn to notice, but that is also a skill you as a teacher have to impart.

... the giver of the advice generally rejects the role of teacher, giving the advice "this is all you have to do" without giving any help on how to do it. And usually the advice also includes "don't waste your money on a teacher," too.

When I teach I particularly draw attention to things that I feel students have to notice, especially morphological things, or words close to English, or spelling changes in different languages for words that have the same meaning. They may be better at this skill because they have more practice, but it doesn't mean that they are being disingenuous. They just learnt it earlier.

This isn't a counter-argument to anything that has been said so far -- it's an agreement. You are teaching new learners to do all the things that experienced learners can already do -- the new learners need that basic teaching. The problem with us polyglots (and with experts in most fields) is that we're inclined to forget the amount of training we got from teachers like yourself, and how much that molded our thinking.

One classic example you'll see in amateur produced material is the tendency to invent new grammatical terminology in the belief that changing the words is easier. Calling a verb the "it form" instead of "third person singular" is superficially simpler, but an inexperienced learner does think of language that way, and has to be taught it, regardless of what terminology you use.

Nope. As a teacher, you're in the privileged position of being able to repeat the same thing over and over again. You most likely have a much deeper understanding of the process of beginning a first language than Steve, Khatz, Moses etc.

Keep in mind that Steve Kaufmann was a diplomat and had intensive Mandarin training. He's been through the system a few times.

Yes. So the first time he approached learning a language by a LingQ-style approach, he was already comfortable with a lot of things a beginner wouldn't -- different word orders, different verb system, languages without articles etc etc. The broader a palette of language features you have, the easier it is to notice features of a new language.
1 x

jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Postby jsega » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:21 pm

Marais wrote:
s_allard wrote:Really, we once again have a display of this constant and tiresome bashing of modern language teaching. I especially take exception to these broad statements about the state of language teaching from someone who does not work in the field of teaching and who seems particularly ignorant of current trends and developments.

Language teaching is rubbish. The stats back it up and anyone that's been to school can confirm it. You don't need to be a teacher to know this.

I don't have to work in catering to know McDo's is garbage. We little people are the customers of these teachers who are failing year after year. If a course turned out qualified mechanical engineers who couldn't identify a head gasket it would be called a catastrophic failure. This is what language teaching worldwide in public institutions is - a catastrophic failure.

This last part is really the only thing that's relevant. Fortunately for language teachers worldwide, they're not forced to work for a public institution.

Public institutions are designed to serve the average person. Expecting anything more than average results from such a place is asking too much I think, though to be fair in some areas they don't seem to be successfully meeting that standard but that is sort of beside my point.

There will always be a market for private schools and private instruction for a reason...

I think it's important to stress this difference. I'm not sure why (are you? I'm not sure...) you would want to disparage all of language teaching because of the non-revelation that public education isn't all that great.
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Marais wrote:

(Sorry if this is off-topic but I can't let this go by)
Another egregious example of crass ignorance. This is exactly what I mean by tiresome bashing by someone who does not work in the field of teaching and who seems particularly ignorant of current trends and developments.

These statements usually emanate from people who claim they studied a language in high school for four years and didn't learn a thing. So the teacher was awful. The textbook was awful. They can't speak the language so all language teaching in schools today is garbage.

What some very ignorant people seem to think is that because language instruction of a couple of hours a week to a class of 25 kids in an environment where the students have no use for the language and are not interested does not produce native-like speakers of the language then all language teaching is rubbish.

This sort of insulting statement is so far removed from the reality of language teaching in a country like Canada as to be laughable. Tell this to parents who line up for days to register their children in French immersion classes or to parents who want their children to take anglais intensif.

I think language teachers at the elementary and secondary school levels do an excellent job today given the limitations that they face. For adults today's technologies and methods can produce great results. Where I live I see the system producing every year thousands of adults with a good knowledge of French for entry into the workforce after a year of language training.

One only has to look at the progression of English in the world today to see that a lot of it comes from the school system.

So, I recommend that instead of making stupid statements off the top of their head, one should attend the 2017 conference of the Canadian Association of Second Language Teachers, April 6-8, in Edmonton, Alberta. I'm sure there are equivalent conferences elsewhere in the world.
3 x

Marais

Postby Marais » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:01 pm

jsega wrote:
This last part is really the only thing that's relevant. Fortunately for language teachers worldwide, they're not forced to work for a public institution.

Public institutions are designed to serve the average person. Expecting anything more than average results from such a place is asking too much I think, though to be fair in some areas they don't seem to be successfully meeting that standard but that is sort of beside my point.

There will always be a market for private schools and private instruction for a reason...

I think it's important to stress this difference. I'm not sure why (are you? I'm not sure...) you would want to disparage all of language teaching because of the non-revelation that public education isn't all that great.

I don't believe languages can be taught at all, actually.

Language learning is about understanding messages. Nobody can teach you this, it comes from exposure. Nobody can teach you the word for 'hammer' for example outside of merely pointing at a hammer and saying what it's called. This isn't 'teaching'. Nobody can make you understand spoken French or Russian. You will either listen and notice enough or you won't.

Teachers should be there for conversation, correction and to help clear up points of grammar. Even outside of institutions, many many many formal private teachers will give lists, writing tasks etc. Many of them will explain grammar using grammatical jargon to someone who doesn't know grammatical jargon. Many of them will fail to relate the information in ways that the student can understand. Many of them will give you some explanation you could find on the internet for free. Again, this isn't teaching, this is something you could do yourself with no help. The correction and the explanation is all that is relevant.

A teacher's job is to make themselves redundant as quickly as possible. Most teachers in most subjects fail in this regard.
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Cainntear wrote:
As for the point that youtube polyglots neglect their previous language studies... here's the thing. Does it really matter?
Yes, because...
Novices have to learn to notice, but that is also a skill you as a teacher have to impart.

... the giver of the advice generally rejects the role of teacher, giving the advice "this is all you have to do" without giving any help on how to do it. And usually the advice also includes "don't waste your money on a teacher," too.

I'm not sure the youtube polyglots all reject teachers. Certainly Benny Lewis doesn't, and I'm not sure about the others. (Just a sideways comment: Benny Lewis actually worked for Berlitz; he was a language teacher at some point).

Besides that, I think there's something to be said for the fact that people are responsible for their education themselves to some extent. You do not have to listen to everything a youtube polyglot says, nor do you have to listen to me.

When I teach I particularly draw attention to things that I feel students have to notice, especially morphological things, or words close to English, or spelling changes in different languages for words that have the same meaning. They may be better at this skill because they have more practice, but it doesn't mean that they are being disingenuous. They just learnt it earlier.

This isn't a counter-argument to anything that has been said so far -- it's an agreement. You are teaching new learners to do all the things that experienced learners can already do -- the new learners need that basic teaching. The problem with us polyglots (and with experts in most fields) is that we're inclined to forget the amount of training we got from teachers like yourself, and how much that molded our thinking.

I'm not really posting in order to disagree. I'm just drawing from my own experience.

One classic example you'll see in amateur produced material is the tendency to invent new grammatical terminology in the belief that changing the words is easier. Calling a verb the "it form" instead of "third person singular" is superficially simpler, but an inexperienced learner does think of language that way, and has to be taught it, regardless of what terminology you use.

When I mention that in Dutch, modal verbs are always followed by an infinitive, my American students are nearly always in for a shock, unless they have studied languages already. I then have to explain to them that "we call this form that ends in -en the infinitive. Just remember from now on, that when I say infinitive, I mean this basic form", and then I illustrate with an example such as "ik kan zwemmen" (I can swim). Sometimes I have to re-teach people what nouns and adjectives were. Perhaps it's because it's not widely taught in schools anymore, but to me not knowing it seems strange - given you spend hours in Dutch primary and secondary schools figuring out parts of speech.

The thing is that as a teacher I don't necessarily want someone to lose motivation by going over their head with terminology. But I do want to be correct about tense usage and I feel that learning the basic grammarese really does benefit students, because it gives them a better analytical look at the framework of a language and allows them to deduce instead of using rote memorization. Which is why I encourage learners that use deduction as opposed to memorization, because they'll be able to automatize those processes and produce fluent speech faster.

To get back to the original topic of the thread: SRS is a tool that is excellent for memorizing things, but the thing is that memorizing is a good technique when it comes to basic vocabulary, but not when it comes to understanding grammar constructs. There is a rhyme and reason behind grammar analysis and it doesn't go amiss knowing how to manipulate grammar analysis in your favour in order to produce better speech. You will still err, but you will err less often.

Which is why I find "just use massive input" a blunt way of dealing with a problem you are better off cutting down to manageable parts. The thing about massive input is that it's simply a brute way to amass more knowledge, but what it doesn't do is force you to segregate that knowledge into structures that you can use on your own. Grammar is a structural element of language and to me requires a more structured approach.

The problem with grammar is this; grammar is like building the framework of a house. However, people that just learn grammar only ever learn how to build concrete walls; it doesn't tell you whether the house has been decorated, adapted to its environment, shielded from rain, and so on and so forth. Language knowledge without grammar is like having a house of cards; you can have a lot of words but the structure is feeble, so any kind of resistance blows your structure to smithereens mercilessly.

But if you just learn grammar, then you've got the wood and concrete framework, but you're not actually living inside a house. You have to decorate the interior, the roof, the garden.

Which is why I recommend learning vocabulary simultaneously, and starting to piece the grammar together bit by bit (don't start with the roof if you haven't got the foundation, your house will collapse). And what constitutes somebody's foundation might differ - there's no one-size-fits-all solution to that, just like it matters whether you're building houses on stilts in a pretty lagoon or hammering poles into the ground in a peat bog.

Does massive input teach you some grammar? Probably, but does it teach you anything in an organized way? Probably not, and eventually, if you want to be thorough enough that proper grammar matters, you'll want to organize it somehow.
9 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:47 pm

Well, I'm not a liguist or a teacher, but with regards to the OP's question this is my recommendation.

Buy a grammar book and look at the first rule. While doing your massive input try to find examples of Rule 1 while reading/listening. After you've identified a few examples of this rule you may, or may not want to put the rule and the examples into SRS. Then move on to rule #2, and rinse, lather, repeat.

I use SRS not just for memorisation but also just to bring things I want to think about up more frequently. For example I have an Anki deck which has quotations from Marcus Aurelius, Winston Churchill, General Patton, Sun Tzu, etc. I'm not trying to memorise them, I just like to have interesting quotes pop up on a semi-frequent basis as food-for-thought. I think you can use SRS and grammar in the same way. You don't need to memorise the rule, you'll see many examples in your massive input, but when the rule pops up it will bring it to the front of your mind and inform your input for the day perhaps.

You might be interested in how a couple of programmers use SRS to do some best practice work.
https://sivers.org/srs
https://www.oxbridgenotes.com/articles/janki_method_refined
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:38 pm

jsega wrote:
Marais wrote:

"So while teaching English is fine if you want to spend a year abroad, and great for meeting pretty foreign girls, considered as a career that might offer some degree of professional fulfilment, it fails on every count. No one with a scrap of ambition can possibly consider it. As the philosopher Alain de Botton says: "You become a TEFL teacher when your life has gone wrong."
The most objectionable aspect of this industry is not, however, the misery of those who work in it, but the posturing endemic to it. Typical of this is the pretence of professional credibility that surrounds the Mickey Mouse teaching certificate most teachers possess.

When, several years ago, I rang up International House in London and said I had a degree in French and Russian from Oxford and wanted to do their TEFL course, they sniffily told me that they might perhaps "consider" my application . . . later. The admissions tutor for the Harvard MBA programme could hardly have sounded grander; whereas all that was on offer was a passport to nowhere.
So I went to the Hammersmith & West London College, where I spent a month learning clownish "miming techniques" and making idiotic "flashcards" (silly bits of cardboard with little pictures on them). Comedy was never far off. Several people on the course were barely literate, and one of them was not even able to identify "I would of gone" as incorrect. As one of the coaches said to me: "I don't believe in half of this either. But just play the game, get your certificate, and then do what you want."

Every year, about 14,000 innocents pay £1,000-odd to spend four or five weeks acquiring a TEFL certificate from the two main examining boards that peddle them. I won't deny that I picked up the odd trick, but I wish I'd spared myself the hassle and sent off to Thailand for a fake certificate, as a friend of mine in Paris sensibly did.

Of equally questionable value are the language-teaching religions championed by the various "method schools", such as Super Rapid and Berlitz, where I once worked for two hilarious months. These are based on a narrow set of beliefs, zealously applied, about how English is learnt. In general, grammar and analysis are avoided, the methodology is highly formalised, and it is strictly verboten to address the students in their own language.

The result is classrooms whose normally bright occupants are comatose with boredom. In theory, there is a pedagogical justification for these methods, but they also happen to be highly convenient for the method schools, which are spared the expense of hiring bilingual teachers.

In my experience most language schools are miserable places, bucket shops whose owners shamelessly claim that the flotsam and jetsam they employ are highly-qualified, hand-picked professionals. Indeed, many are not really schools at all, but employment agencies that send the workers on their books (freelance teachers) out to the premises of their clients (companies who have bought English courses) and take a whacking great commission (typically, about two-thirds of what the teacher is charged out at). As the "director of studies" of one such outfit once said to me: "If only you knew how much money we are making."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/3325192/The-slavery-of-teaching-English.html
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”