Does being antisocial make it more difficult to use/learn a language?

General discussion about learning languages
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Does being antisocial make it more difficult to use/learn a language?

Postby reineke » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm

Social Anxiety
Avoidant Personality
Anti-social
Introverted Personality
asocial
shy...

Being anti-social is different from being shy and both are different from being introverted. Language is more than speaking. Look up Emil Krebs. You'll be fine.
Last edited by reineke on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 am

Rem wrote:I'm not sure if "antisocial" is the word to use here, but I can't think of a better one at the moment. I can be social...it just normally has to be on my own terms (I know it sounds selfish when I say it like that, but I can't help the way I feel).

I'm not a very outgoing person. I often feel more comfortable going home and reading a book or watching a DVD by myself than I do going out to a restaurant or a pub. This isn't to say that I don't like going out, I do...but not as often as others seem to and it's awkward because some people find it difficult to understand that. Sometimes people take it as almost a personal insult when I'd rather be indoors on my own than go out for a drink with them.

You sound like a classic introvert. Here is a good article on introversion: Caring For Your Introvert.

All the best,
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Postby James29 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:06 am

Rem wrote:
asterion wrote:
asterion wrote:I think you should not feel guilty over the way you are, or try to change that by force, not even for the sake of language learning. What I do is find some people, native speakers of my target language on sites like Interpals( preferably the ones I have things in common with and enjoy talking to) and maintain correspondence through texting/ Skype/ Whatsapp.
True, but probably easier said than done. Somehow people (whether they intend to or not) have a way of making you feel guilty about not going out no matter how sure you are that it's the right decision for you. :(

You are the only person in the world who can make you feel guilty. When I learned that feeling guilt is a choice my life changed for the better. Just be who you are and simply don't feel guilty for who you are.
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:59 am

Difficult to use/learn? For whom? How do you (want to) use the language and how do you learn?

I came to think of Julia Barnickle's presentation:
Do introverts make the best polyglots? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dQ1NxLjC8U

(The room was packed, so apparently no shortage of introvert and shy polyglots.)
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:27 am

I'm in the same boat, but I've mostly stopped worrying about it. I've started to look at it as having domain specific strengths and weaknesses. I keep oral interaction at minimum even in my native language so why push it in foreign language? For what abstract purpose? To prove that "I know the language?" Bah, humbug!

I don't feel guilty about not going to meetups and international coffe club events and whatnot. It's just not the way I function. My strenghts lie elsewhere. I can read scientific literature in Spanish and French but I couldn't talk my way out of the brown paper bag even if my life depended on it. And so what? It's not my thing. I'm a translator, not interpreter and that is totally fine. I know many people who speak splendid English but who canno't string together comprehensible sentence to put on paper when they need to translate something. They can charm the devil with their speech but when the grab the pen (or keyboard, for that matter), it all falls apart. That's just not their strength. But it is mine. There's no right or wrong way to learn or to apply language. Do what you're best at.
6 x

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:58 am

I am an introvert and for that reason I didn't continue my Skype language exchange with a language partner. I do however go to a monthly German group as I can sit at the far corner and talk only when I feel like talking. I invariably end up talking a lot because the group is now very familiar.
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:27 am

I'm around the middle of the introvert-extrovert spectrum and I'm never sure whether it's the best or the worst of both worlds. I love to be around people and speak with them, but I'm not very good at it and I can only do so much before I need some time for myself. I suppose that like others have said it's about accepting who you are and finding what works, and finding the line between healthily going out of your comfort zone and unhealthily forcing yourself to do things that wear you down and just don't suit you.

I have mixed opinions on language/international meetup groups. Unless you're very extroverted and confident, especially when speaking a second language, it's hard to get the most out of them. The conversation tends to be dominated by the most talkative people, and if the attendees are mostly learners it can become a sort of competition to have a chance to talk to the natives. On the other hand, a good group (balance of learners and natives, not too cliquey, and perhaps with an organiser who tries to give everyone a turn) can be an easy and comfortable way of getting face-to-face speaking experience: everybody knows that you're there to practise the language and should be patient.

These days I generally prefer either one-to-one conversations (exchanges, tutors, native-speaker friends) or groups with people whom I already know. I used to go to a lot of meetup groups but I mostly stopped because they didn't suit me for various reasons: a French one had many learners and few helpful natives; an Italian one just wasn't that interesting and I have enough other opportunities; a general "language café" was too hit-or-miss and in a very noisy bar; and an "international social meetup" was too English-dominated and often cliquey and unfriendly.
4 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:40 pm

reineke wrote:Social Anxiety
Avoidant Personality
Anti-social
Introverted Personality
asocial
shy...

Being anti-social is different from being shy and both are different from being introverted. Language is more than speaking. Look up Emil Krebs. You'll be fine.

However being anti-social doesn't mean that you can't also be shy, have social anxiety, avoidant personality disorder, etc. Mind you the first two are actually diagnosis in the DSM but again, not mutually exclusive and it's not somehow shameful to be diagnosed with them.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:30 pm

Sure. There's a long list of personality types and conditions that may overlap in their descriptions and that are not mutually exclusive. People with all sorts of personalities can become successful language learners. They will likely come up with different approaches to language learning.
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:22 pm

reineke wrote:People with all sorts of personalities can become successful language learners. They will likely come up with different approaches to language learning.

I would hope that no one would disagree with you there!
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “General Language Discussion”