What are the best monolingual dictionaries of each language?

General discussion about learning languages
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: What are the best monolingual dictionaries of each language?

Postby rlnv » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:48 am

I think this is primarily a discussion of personal favorites. I have a number of mono and multilingual French and English dictionaries. For my purposes, I believe I have the best available. But by no means, are they necessarily "the best".

There are criteria that must be considered. Is is the most up comprehensive and to date, or does it have historic usage? What format or formats is it available? There could be online, paper, mobile, e-reader, computer OS, database, and maybe more. Does the volume conform to a governing body for official usage? I'm sure there are more considerations.
1 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:00 pm

rlnv wrote:I think this is primarily a discussion of personal favorites. I have a number of mono and multilingual French and English dictionaries. For my purposes, I believe I have the best available. But by no means, are they necessarily "the best".

There are criteria that must be considered. Is is the most up comprehensive and to date, or does it have historic usage? What format or formats is it available? There could be online, paper, mobile, e-reader, computer OS, database, and maybe more. Does the volume conform to a governing body for official usage? I'm sure there are more considerations.

I agree with this, but I still think this is a useful thread. If I hadn't read this thread, I wouldn't have heard about Antidote, mentioned by Sizen on the first page. After reading his/her post, I bought it for my iPad, and I think it's an amazing resource.
0 x

William Camden
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (fluent), Turkish (fluent), Russian (fluent), French (semi-fluent), Spanish (semi-fluent), am studying Polish, have some knowledge of it, also studying modern Greek, basic knowledge of Arabic (mostly MSA, some exposure to colloquial dialects), basic knowledge of Latin and Italian, beginner in Scottish Gaelic.

Postby William Camden » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:12 am

Deutsch Als Fremdsprache by Langenscheidt, aimed at foreign learners of German, is good. Petit Robert for French. About two decades ago there was an excellent 'first monolingual' dictionary of French published by Hodder & Stoughton or Harrap but I have not been able to trace it since.
0 x
: 4321 / 4321Greek Memrise

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:34 am

William Camden wrote:Deutsch Als Fremdsprache by Langenscheidt, aimed at foreign learners of German, is good.

Yes, it's good. Overall, I find the definitions to be significantly easier to understand than in the Duden Deutsches Universalwörterbuch. The downside is that it doesn't contain as many entries. I also miss etymological information, but that's only because I'm a nerd.

The competitor Pons has put their DaF dictionary online: http://de.pons.com/
I haven't used it much, so I don't know how it compares to Langenscheidt's, but at least it can be used for free.

The monumental Grimm Deutsches Wörterbuch is also online: http://dwb.uni-trier.de/de/
0 x

tractor
Green Belt

Postby tractor » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Sizen wrote:For Catalan, there's the Diccionari de la llengua catalana which serves its purpose quite well.

The DIEC2 is not bad at all, but the Gran diccionari de la llengua catalana (GDLC) is more comprehensive: http://www.diccionari.cat

Then there's the much larger (10 volumes) Diccionari català–valencià–balear (DCVB): http://dcvb.iecat.net
0 x

peterbeischmidt
Yellow Belt

Postby peterbeischmidt » Mon May 14, 2018 6:08 pm

Strictly speaking not 'the best', but here's an excellent monolingual dictionary for learners of Turkish:
https://www.turkishbooks.com/books/ogre ... 45663.html
0 x

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 pm

0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am

For Norwegian bokmål I prefer Det Norske Akademis ordbok. This is the new version of the old Riksmålsordboken, so it uses a rather conservative form of bokmål, but the great thing about it is that you will find a lot of examples of how the words are used with plenty of quotes from Norwegian literature.
0 x
Ich grolle nicht

Return to “General Language Discussion”