Most difficult to understand spoken language? in terms of listening comprehension.

General discussion about learning languages
Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Re: Most difficult to understand spoken language? in terms of listening comprehension.

Postby Dragon27 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:39 am

Chinese, as far as I'm aware, is chock-full of homophones (even when you distinguish the tones). Wiki even has a dedicated page describing the phenomenon of homophonic puns in Chinese (which is telling). This overabundance of homophones is invariably mentioned as one of the reasons why characters is a good thing (they allow you to distinguish between homophones in writing). Although one doesn't have the benefit of seeing the characters in actual speech, so it's not that much of a relief.
It seems to me (intuitively) that a (relatively) greater number of homophones in a language should be compensated in some way, i.e. there should be more rigidity in the way you can combine words, or something of that sort.
1 x

ninuno
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (B2-C), French (B1), German (A1), Russian(?),
Spanish (B1), Italian (?), Portuguese (?), Polish (?),
Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Pashto,
Hindi-Urdu, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil,
Mandarin Chinese (N), Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese,
Thai, Filipino, Malay-Indonesian, Burmese,
Soteapanec, !Xóõ, etc

Re: Most difficult to understand spoken language? in terms of listening comprehension.

Postby ninuno » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:19 am

French has most of the ending consonants silent, so as i learn more by reading, it is very hard to relate the sounds to the words,

e.g. [o:] is really 'haut'

that goes the same with nearly so many words
0 x

ninuno
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (B2-C), French (B1), German (A1), Russian(?),
Spanish (B1), Italian (?), Portuguese (?), Polish (?),
Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Pashto,
Hindi-Urdu, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil,
Mandarin Chinese (N), Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese,
Thai, Filipino, Malay-Indonesian, Burmese,
Soteapanec, !Xóõ, etc

Postby ninuno » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:31 am

polish and maybe czech is harder to understand than russian ,

portuguese is harder to understand than spanish ,

korean has much more vowels and again the ending consonants as french has ,

moroccan arabic is hard to understand as many say .
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:02 pm

I studied (not necessarily learned) a multitude of languages. The one that really put me on my knees has been Dutch.
I remember after studying a few months and not being able to understand anything from Dutch podcast, I tried listening to a German podcast and despite never having studied German before I could understand quite a lot thanks to having studied Dutch. Dutch was still incomprehensible for me.

The other two languages that gave me troubles were English and in a lesser extent French.

There are two types of French speakers: the ones you can understand without troubles, and the ones that say "EOEUEUEUE!!!!" and when you ask them to write down what they said they produce a book of 1000+ pages.

English has a such insane spelling that it took me a lot of practice to get a gist how spoken English maps written English.

Spanish spoken at 1000 words per seconds give me no troubles at all on the other hand.
5 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:50 pm

Tristano wrote:I studied (not necessarily learned) a multitude of languages. The one that really put me on my knees has been Dutch.
I remember after studying a few months and not being able to understand anything from Dutch podcast, I tried listening to a German podcast and despite never having studied German before I could understand quite a lot thanks to having studied Dutch. Dutch was still incomprehensible for me.

I seem to have the same issue with Icelandic. I understand spoken German better than Icelandic despite studying it less.
0 x

tussentaal
White Belt

Postby tussentaal » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:19 pm

I'm learning Norwegian, but seem to understand Swedish better because the Swedes enunciate better.
0 x
ge hebt ne vriend...

Return to “General Language Discussion”