Has anyone learnt a language well without trying to learn it?

General discussion about learning languages
s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Re: Has anyone learnt a language well without trying to learn it?

Postby s_allard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:23 pm

desitrader wrote:I am almost beginning to think I shouldn't have asked the question.

I don't think you should beat yourself up about this. I do think the question could perhaps have been better worded. iguanamon in an earlier post summed up the issues very well. There are two schools of thought here of "without trying to learn". As I am wont to do, I take the literal meaning and argue - as I also like to do to and thereby irritate some people - that you can't learn a language without trying, especially at an adult age.
The other school of thought says that "without trying to learn" means massive input and no formal study. So, it's not really not trying, it's more like not making a formal effort.
With that it mind, I would have asked the question differently and avoided much argument and some nastiness. Here are some suggestions:

Has anyone learned a language well using only massive input?
Has anyone learned a language well solely using native materials?
Has anyone learned a language well without any formal study?
1 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:33 pm

desitrader wrote:I am almost beginning to think I shouldn't have asked the question.

I'm not always able to express myself properly in my thread titles and opening posts. I would then edit them and post clarifications. I watch my threads closely. If you wish to edit your thread title, you can do so by clicking the pencil icon at the top right of your opening post. Individual posts can also be editted by clicking the pencil icon at the top right of the post.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:46 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

s_allard
Blue Belt

Postby s_allard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 pm

Although some people that I ignore surely think otherwise, I don't consider myself especially unreasonable. But I am a stickler for proper usage of words, viz. my constant haranguing about the term proficiency instead of fluency. This extends to my usage of words in my target languages. I like to learn fine distinctions because this is what users I respect value. Now, I know some people don't really care about careful usage and belong to the I-said-this-but-I-really-meant-that school of language usage. So, for example, in Spanish why bother distinguishing between verbs SER and ESTAR ? After all, you know what I mean.

The real issue here in this thread is the rather confusing title. I'm not saying this as a criticism. I'm saying that this has produced needless discussion. And what has made it worse is contorted attempts to prove that this title really meant something else when in fact it is quite clear that we are dealing with an oxymoron. As I have said, a lot of discussion could have been avoided with a simple change in wording.
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:01 pm

It's good to see that after a year-and-a-half away that the same threads get derailed repeatedly in the same fashion. It's good to be back!

There are interesting and there are boring questions. It's a boring to get hung up on the question of what "trying" means.

An interesting question might be whether you can learn a language without going through the more standard grammar program, classes, etc. I guess one way of putting it would be whether you can learn a language, just by doing it, rather than studying it. Philosophers make the distinction between knowing how and knowing that. Say between knowing how to hit a tennis ball versus knowing that tennis is a ball game involving two players. If you ask me as touch typist where a particular letter on the keyboard is - I can answer this only by consciously monitoring where my fingers move. I have no explicit knowledge that a particular letter is in a particular position. There is a lot of evidence that separate areas of the brain are associated with knowing-how and knowing-that type questions. It's not really clear how well these separate areas communicate.

Which brings us around to the original question by the OP: How necessary is knowing the theory of a language (grammar etc -- i.e., knowing that) for helping you with you doing the language (speaking, reading etc -- the knowing how). Can you get by with just doing the language?

Based purely on my personal experience I would say yes and no. Yes, I found it incredibly helpful to simply do lots and lots of reading and lots and lots of listening. My grammar study has been one very shortish grammar book I read when I was at A1 level. I had no formal classes until I was B2+, and my tutor is avoiding grammar altogether still (we work on pronunciation and discuss German cultural/politics). No, in so far as I couldn't avoid using my L1 all the time as I was learning (learning words on Anki; looking up words in dictionaries). So in this sense I wasn't simply doing my L2 in a pure sense until I was in a strong-intermediate level for German.
11 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

s_allard
Blue Belt

Postby s_allard » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:03 am

patrickwilken wrote:...
Which brings us around to the original question by the OP: How necessary is knowing the theory of a language (grammar etc -- i.e., knowing that) for helping you with you doing the language (speaking, reading etc -- the knowing how). Can you get by with just doing the language?

Based purely on my personal experience I would say yes and no. Yes, I found it incredibly helpful to simply do lots and lots of reading and lots and lots of listening. My grammar study has been one very shortish grammar book I read when I was at A1 level. I had no formal classes until I was B2+, and my tutor is avoiding grammar altogether still (we work on pronunciation and discuss German cultural/politics). No, in so far as I couldn't avoid using my L1 all the time as I was learning (learning words on Anki; looking up words in dictionaries). So in this sense I wasn't simply doing my L2 in a pure sense until I was in a strong-intermediate level for German.

People get all worked up when I call attention to poor wording. Here is another fine example that will probably get me called a disruptor and a thread derailer. The original question by the OP is not as stated above. What we have in fact is one person's self-serving interpretation of the original question. This interpretation is interesting but it is not the original question. I would have said - for all it's worth - : My understanding of the original question by the OP is as follows.... Here is the "real" original question:

Has anyone here learned a language to a high level without making any effort to actually study it, and only by consuming native media?

My own understanding of the question is as follows: Have any participants in this website learned a language to a high level at an adult age without any formal study and only by consuming native media? Here is my answer:

Speaking only for myself, I have not attempted to learn any language without some explicit effort focusing on the linguistics of the language. I have rarely taken classes but I have used many tools and methods as well as considerable amounts of native materials. I have no doubt that many people such as immigrants may achieve good levels of oral proficiency with no formal study and by sheer immersion. But for my goal of a minimum of overall B2 proficiency and ultimately C2, formal study, especially of grammar and vocabulary, and working with a tutor are essential. Given that my own education has included formal study of my native French and English, I don't see why I would not take a similar approach in my foreign languages. In fact, I believe that for learning the formal register of written and spoken discourse, including the ability to talk about language in a technical way, explicit study is absolutely necessary.
Last edited by s_allard on Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 am

patrickwilken wrote:An interesting question might be whether you can learn a language without going through the more standard grammar program, classes, etc.

Interesting, sure, but it's one that's already been discussed to death on this forum and the old one and it seems like every other thread ends up being some variation of "input versus deliberate study" with the conclusion always being that different things work for different people. Especially recently when we have people like reineke who like to grab every possible opportunity to force in their opinion on the subject. The "trying" thing may have been a mistake but at least it created some new discussion.
0 x

patrickwilken
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2+), Spanish (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8886

Postby patrickwilken » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:12 pm

garyb wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:An interesting question might be whether you can learn a language without going through the more standard grammar program, classes, etc.

Interesting, sure, but it's one that's already been discussed to death on this forum and the old one and it seems like every other thread ends up being some variation of "input versus deliberate study" with the conclusion always being that different things work for different people. Especially recently when we have people like reineke who like to grab every possible opportunity to force in their opinion on the subject. The "trying" thing may have been a mistake but at least it created some new discussion.

I had interpreted the "not trying" as just using language naturally without going to classes etc. Though of course that could, of course, involve speaking as well as input.

I am not sure what else it could mean to be honest. Putting your grammar books under your pillow before you go to sleep? ;)
0 x

German Spanish
1500 Movies : 1389 / 1500100 Movies : 4 / 100
50000 Pages : 41089 / 500005000 Pages : 0 / 5000

All goals to be completed by 31.12.19.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:22 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”