Dreaming in Foreign Languages

General discussion about learning languages
tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Re: Dreaming in Foreign Languages

Postby tastyonions » Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 pm

I have had a few dreams with dialogue in German recently. When I attempted to speak in them, it came out as pretty bad, probably because my German is, well, pretty bad.

I think that I switched from Italian to French in one dream because I couldn't find the words in Italian.

My favorite language dream is still the one in which I was sitting on the edge of a circle of people (it looked like a group therapy session maybe?) and speaking Spanish. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson was there and was impressed by my pronunciation, saying (in English), "Your accent in Spanish is excellent. Where are you from?"

:lol:
3 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri May 05, 2017 8:09 am

I've had dreams in many different languages over the years, but am still waiting to experience one involving sign language...maybe this is something to look forward to later this year?
1 x

Atinkoriko
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Ibibio (N)
West African Pidgin English/Guinea Coast Creole[N]
Actively learning
Int: German, French, Spanish

Beginner: Russian, Japanese

Next: Mandarin Chinese, Ancient Greek, Latin, Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 6&start=20

Postby Atinkoriko » Fri May 05, 2017 10:29 am

I just realised that I sleep so little that I don't even dream at all.
0 x
: 50 / 2000 Remembering the Kanji :
: 33 / 75 SpanishFilms Half SC :
: 45 / 124 German Active wave :
: 3 / 100 Assimil Japanese :
: 33 / 100 Russian without Toil :
: 160 / 10000 Russian 10k srs :

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Fri May 05, 2017 8:02 pm

Last night I partly dreamt in Icelandic.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Jbean
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (B1)
I can read menus in many languages.

Postby Jbean » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:21 am

I like to listen to audiobooks in French or Spanish before I go to sleep. I usually set the timer on the app for 8 or 15 minutes, listen for the given time, and then go to sleep. I never fall asleep while listening, but occasionally I do shut it off early. It takes more than a month to make it through some books.

Last month I had a knee replacement surgery. They sent me home with Percocet, an opiate medicine, for the pain. I would take my pain medication about an hour before bed because it made me sleepy and sleeping was pretty hard for the first few weeks. Following my usual habit, after I started feeling a little better, I started playing my audiobook before going to sleep. That was fine, I enjoyed listening to my book, but the app stopped shutting itself off. The story would just continue on with the same calm voice speaking French, but then the story would get increasingly bizarre until I would suddenly realize that something was wrong, and then the voice would stop and the room would be silent. So some of you may have had dreams in your TL, but how many of you have had auditory hallucinations in your TL?
5 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 am

Jbean wrote:So some of you may have had dreams in your TL, but how many of you have had auditory hallucinations in your TL?

:lol: I have once, precipitated by exhaustion and becoming sick. I awoke because I heard, as clear as day, the female announcer for the Kyoto subway system saying (in Japanese): "The doors are closing. Please be careful." I was so confused, because I heard it... but I was lying in a hotel room in Osaka.
1 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Gomorrita
White Belt

Postby Gomorrita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:51 pm

I am surprised by the fact that everyone in this thread knows which languages they dream in.

I have no clue what language I dream in. Usually I can rarely recall my dreams, and when I do it is always very vaguely. At most I remember people communicating, and the meaning of what they communicate, but never the specific words used in that communication. I assume it is not possible that my dreams are devoid of language, right? I feel weird. :P
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:29 pm

Last night I fell asleep with 25 minutes of Greek radio looping through my earphones. This morning in my dream...

I joined a new company here in Australia. I was brought to my dorm. A Vietnamese man who lives in the first room takes care of the dorm and shows me my room. (The man was someone I had met once in real life at a Spanish meetup, but he was Indonesian back then). The Vietnamese caretaker tells me about the dorm and talks non-stop (was actually the radio). He spoke in English, but I could not understand him (was actually in Greek). Every now and then he'd speak a bit more slowly and I'd understand him (was actually the English commercials, I think). I felt very worried for not understanding the language of my new job.
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Dannylearns
Languages: Speak: English, Dutch, Spanish, French, German, Slovak.
Learn: Russian, Arabic

Postby Dannylearns » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:55 am

even though i've been studying languages i've sadly only once had a dream in a foreign languages.. It would be cool to have lots of dreams in different languages, i can only imagine.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am

Last night I dreamt that I came to a train station somewhere in Italy (maybe Rome), and for some reason I was going to Padova. I read the 'partenze' board and noticed that there was a train 6.54 at platform 1 directly to Padova, and it was 6.49 on my watch so I managed to enter the train. Inside it was a weird train with 4 seats on each bench, and a few minutes later it arrived at Padova so I had to stop trying to chat up the other persons on the bench and hurry out of the train. Unfortunately I then woke up without having had the chance to take a walk in Padova.

I have no idea why I wanted to go to Padova ... out of all the Italian towns I could have chosen. Maybe it was just the first on the list. And it didn't occur to me that I might need a ticket.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”