Learning the Oslo dialect

General discussion about learning languages
desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Learning the Oslo dialect

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:33 am

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend some good comprehensive materials to learn the Oslo dialect? I started learning Bokmål, but I am now thinking I am probably better off going straight to the most widely spoken dialect rather than a written language.

I need materials from the ground-up and I'd prefer resources either in English or German - rather than monolingual ones.

Thank you.
0 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Re: Learning the Oslo dialect

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Hiya.

The dialect they speak around Oslo and that part of the country is the one that is closest to Bokmål (more or less spoken version of Bokmål). I doubt that there are any material specifically for that area, there just isn't any need for it.
1 x

desitrader
Orange Belt

Postby desitrader » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:37 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Hiya.

The dialect they speak around Oslo and that part of the country is the one that is closest to Bokmål (more or less spoken version of Bokmål). I doubt that there are any material specifically for that area, there just isn't any need for it.

Thanks. That's good news.

Slightly off topic question: If I walked into a shop around Oslo and started speaking in Bokmål, how weird would I sound? Is the situation as bad as speaking in Modern Standard Arabic to a native Arabic speaker, or better?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:44 pm

If your accent sounds like Oslo Norwegian (or thereabouts), no problem (and if you don't, there's probably no problem either - depending on how thick your accent is). As Tillumadoguenirurm said, the Norwegian spoken in Oslo is basically spoken Bokmål, i.e. how people in Oslo choose to pronounce Bokmål vocabulary.

The Norwegian varieties are not like MSA Arabic vs. the others.
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:26 pm

desitrader wrote:
Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Hiya.

Thanks. That's good news.

Slightly off topic question: If I walked into a shop around Oslo and started speaking in Bokmål, how weird would I sound? Is the situation as bad as speaking in Modern Standard Arabic to a native Arabic speaker, or better?

Like a foreigner speaking Norwegian. The various dialects of Norwegian are more like all the different varieties of English that exist. How weird do you sound when you speak Norwegian? I don't know. I personally sound Swedish. I have no idea how you pronounce Norwegian.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Which Oslo dialect, Western or Eastern, they differ quite a bit when it comes to pronunciation (thick L, s), morphology (moren kastet vrs mora kasta) and word choice (gulv/golv, syk/sjuk, syv/sju, hverken/verken)
1 x

desitrader
Orange Belt

Postby desitrader » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:12 pm

FyrsteSumarenINoreg wrote:Which Oslo dialect, Western or Eastern, they differ quite a bit when it comes to pronunciation (thick L, s), morphology (moren kastet vrs mora kasta) and word choice (gulv/golv, syk/sjuk, syv/sju, hverken/verken)

Damn! There I was - almost feeling good about learning Norwegian...
0 x

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:34 pm

0 x

botanikk2003
Languages: English (N)
Italian (C2)
Norwegian (B1)
Lithuanian (A2-B1)

Postby botanikk2003 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:36 pm

I just saw a video with speakers from various parts of Norway saying "Det regner hele tiden", and even in Oslo, it becomes "Heile tida" without the "d" pronounced. However, "radikalt bokmål", you could write " heile tida". I get the impression that most dialects are similar to "radikalt bokmål" or Nynorsk.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:12 am

As a comment from a Norwegian living in Oslo (but originally from Trondheim), I would like to say that the "Oslo dialect" is extremely variable, as could surely be said for most capitals/big cities around the world. The closest dialect to bokmål would be the one they speak in Bærum, which is basically a west end suburb of Oslo. I work with people in that area, and they speak so close to bokmål that I feel the urge to correct their speech when they don't use accusative pronouns correctly (like de/dem, han/ham and hun/henne, pronouns that are only distinguished in written language, not in any dialect).

Speaking bokmål wil make you sound like any foreigner who learned Norwegian in school, but if you really speak it perfectly, it could make you sound a little posh.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”