Thinking and talking aloud in your target language...

General discussion about learning languages
leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Re: Thinking and talking aloud in your target language...

Postby leosmith » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:22 am

NoManches wrote:Thinking/Speaking to yourself in your target language is something I have been really curious about lately...What do you all think?
Do we think in foreign languages, do we think in our mother tongue only or do we think without using languages at all? I don't know. But I do know that when I converse I don't consciously translate, which is what I believe we all strive for.

As to the question of whether we should make a conscious effort to make "thinking practice" part of our language learning plan, I don't do it, and I see it as a waste of time in my case. First, I figure actual conversation, combined with all my other learning activities, would make thinking practice superfluous. Second, I doubt that it activates additional parts of my brain which aren't already activated by my other activities. Finally, I have very high motivation, but I just can't make myself do this specific exercise for a reasonable amount of time on a regular basis, maybe because deep down I think it's not worth my time.

The ability to converse in another language without consciously translating comes to me naturally, meaning it's not something I have to specifically train. I just converse a lot, listen, read, write, etc, and before too long I'm doing it. So it pains me to hear certain highly reputed polyglots tell me that thinking practice is a necessary step. This is clearly false. But I think it's just flawed logic that makes them say this stuff, they don't really believe it. By that I mean they don't understand that if a statement isn't always true, then it's a false statement. Benny's book is full of such statements, and it drives me nuts.

reineke wrote:13 common misconceptions about foreign language learning
only 5 % of foreign language speakers can be said to sound 100% native-like
What? How could it be that high?
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Marais

Postby Marais » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:29 am

leosmith wrote:
reineke wrote:13 common misconceptions about foreign language learning

only 5 % of foreign language speakers can be said to sound 100% native-like

What? How could it be that high?

I don't think anyone who has learned a language as an adult ever sounds completely native like.

There are a few in English who have been close but the longer you listen to them the more little small things give you hints that they may not be native.

People can certainly be 100% native-live when it comes to usage, phrasing and knowledge of the language though.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:48 am

After the conference in Thessaloniki I had three more days in the town, and throughout these three days I tried to stick to Greek in my head as much I could. In actual fact I lacked some vocabulary for some of my conversations there so I couldn't make those three days a 100% pure Hellenophonic experience, but when yoy are surrounded by a target language day and night and keep looking words up it isn't nearly as hard as it sounds to keep up an inner dialog, not even in a weak language. It is much harder at home, where my TV spews out an unhealthy mix of Danish and English and I am inundated by texts in the same two languages - other languages do enter this pandemonion, but I have to invite them - or in some case drag them inside the trap, kicking and screaming and much against their will.

I have described the mental state where your brain is summing in another language than the usual one(s) as a 'buzz' and claimed that it is a necessary step for me if I want to get fluent (in the sense of prolific) in a language - which isn't the same as claiming that I'll automatically utter idiomatic and correct sentences in the language (it takes some hard study to get there). The actual time I'm speaking the foreign language in such a situation as far less than the time I'm thinking it, but I'm not in panic about this (as little as I'm in panic over speeking Greek with a Danish accent). The main problem is that (in this case) three days aren't nearly enough to make thinking in the language such an ingrown habit that I can keep on doing it at home. At home my thinking in a weak language will always take an added effort which ultimately reduces the effect of doing it.

And therefore I ought to travel some more.
2 x

maschingon
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish [C2], Portuguese [B2? C1 writing? no idea], Chinese [high intermediate level, no idea specifically]
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3906

Postby maschingon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:13 am

Iversen wrote:After the conference in Thessaloniki I had three more days in the town, and throughout these three days I tried to stick to Greek in my head as much I could. In actual fact I lacked some vocabulary for some of my conversations there so I couldn't make those three days a 100% pure Hellenophonic experience, but when yoy are surrounded by a target language day and night and keep looking words up it isn't nearly as hard as it sounds to keep up an inner dialog, not even in a weak language. It is much harder at home, where my TV spews out an unhealthy mix of Danish and English and I am inundated by texts in the same two languages - other languages do enter this pandemonion, but I have to invite them - or in some case drag them inside the trap, kicking and screaming and much against their will.

I have described the mental state where your brain is summing in another language than the usual one(s) as a 'buzz' and claimed that it is a necessary step for me if I want to get fluent (in the sense of prolific) in a language - which isn't the same as claiming that I'll automatically utter idiomatic and correct sentences in the language (it takes some hard study to get there). The actual time I'm speaking the foreign language in such a situation as far less than the time I'm thinking it, but I'm not in panic about this (as little as I'm in panic over speeking Greek with a Danish accent). The main problem is that (in this case) three days aren't nearly enough to make thinking in the language such an ingrown habit that I can keep on doing it at home. At home my thinking in a weak language will always take an added effort which ultimately reduces the effect of doing it.

And therefore I ought to travel some more.

This is an interesting post: I agree with everything you say, but I'm interested to hear what you consider to be "thinking in your target language"? If we naturally think without words, then what does it mean to say that we have "reached a point where we are thinking in our target language"? To me, this says a lot more about the sheer amount of time that you've spent trying to think and/or use your target language, much more than it says about your actual level.

For example, a month after I started learning Chinese, I had a dream that I was in a Mexican gas station, and there was a Chinese man talking to the Mexican attendant, and they were having trouble communicating. In the dream, I was able to step in and successfully translate between the two people, and then I had a short conversation in Chinese with the man. I distinctly remember all the words that were being said, and I remember surprising myself with my level.

I told my friend what happened and they were all astounded: "You dreamt in Chinese?! That must mean you've reached fluency!" Umm, no, it means that you can consider me legally insane for spending so much damn time thinking about languages :lol: My actual Chinese level was horrible... at that point, I couldn't understand anything that native speakers said. It was just a result of having spent a lot of time thinking about Chinese, translation, and the general concept of what it means to have two people that "speak different languages". Said nothing about my actual level.

leosmith wrote:As to the question of whether we should make a conscious effort to make "thinking practice" part of our language learning plan, I don't do it, and I see it as a waste of time in my case. First, I figure actual conversation, combined with all my other learning activities, would make thinking practice superfluous.

The ability to converse in another language without consciously translating comes to me naturally, meaning it's not something I have to specifically train. I just converse a lot, listen, read, write, etc, and before too long I'm doing it. So it pains me to hear certain highly reputed polyglots tell me that thinking practice is a necessary step. This is clearly false. But I think it's just flawed logic that makes them say this stuff, they don't really believe it. By that I mean they don't understand that if a statement isn't always true, then it's a false statement. Benny's book is full of such statements, and it drives me nuts.

I agree with you for the most part here, except that I would argue that a "conscious effort for thinking practice" is indeed absolutely vital, whether that be purely in the form of conversation or a healthy mix of conversation and writing (probably the most realistic option, unless you're surrounded by native speakers). However, "thinking" does not mean "talking to yourself in your head", but rather it means that you need to take time to produce output, in whatever form that it may be. In fact, I would say that self-talking is probably the least productive form of "conscious thinking practice", precisely because it is much easier to think without words, and because we can't get corrected.

In any case, I 100% agree with you about Benny...
0 x
Michael King (seudónimos: Miguel Rey / Miguel Rei / 金一迈)

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 pm

I do sometimes think in non-linguistic systems - like when I think about ways to get one more plastic bottle squeezed down a plastic bag. And I definitely thought 'without words' when I still painted paintings and composed music. But my thoughts are mostly formulated in words when they reach the surface, and then it is just a matter of using words from some other language than the usual one. The problem is never to avoid thinking in words - the problem is that Danish and English and a few other languages grab every opportunity to move in if they discover that I have a hole in one of my weaker languages. And it takes some strict discipline - or suitable surroundings - to stop them from doing it.

As for dreaming .. well, I mostly dream in Danish, but other languages may occur if the topic makes it relevant. It can also happen with words from a weak language.
0 x

maschingon
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish [C2], Portuguese [B2? C1 writing? no idea], Chinese [high intermediate level, no idea specifically]
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3906

Postby maschingon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:40 am

Iversen wrote:But my thoughts are mostly formulated in words when they reach the surface, and then it is just a matter of using words from some other language than the usual one. The problem is never to avoid thinking in words

Exactly - that's what I find fascinating, this dichotomy between thoughts not happening in words, but being formulated in words when they reach the surface. And then the process of converting the ideas into words causes more thoughts to appear, etc. etc.

What you say about "forcing yourself to avoid certain languages from creeping in" is exactly the reason why I think writing is powerful: every time a word from a stronger language creeps in, it's not at all a problem. It just means that you have to look up its translation, and fill in all the holes like that. In fact, the more times that the stronger language creeps in, the better, because that means you're filling in all of your holes.

(also, question: in your list of "languages spoken", what do you mean by "monolingual travels in"...? haha)
0 x
Michael King (seudónimos: Miguel Rey / Miguel Rei / 金一迈)

Return to “General Language Discussion”