Any Wordpress users here?

General discussion about learning languages
mercutio
Orange Belt

Any Wordpress users here?

Postby mercutio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:15 pm

I have a little language blog I use to document my learning and share little things and motivate myself

I'm not tech wizard

Anyone familiar with Wordpress free site?

Im trying to add an archive Page indexing my articles but all the tech help pages on Wordpress and forums I've found don't seem to work right or are way confusing

Is there an way way?
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Any Wordpress users here?

Postby tarvos » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:35 pm

I use WordPress for my language blog, it's got articles in various languages. You just need to check the settings, it's easy enough to navigate. It's in a slightly weird spot though.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:41 pm

tarvos wrote:I use WordPress for my language blog, it's got articles in various languages. You just need to check the settings, it's easy enough to navigate. It's in a slightly weird spot though.

I've searched everywhere and my template doesn't seem to have one built in
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:11 pm

It would help to know what theme you using. Also what do you mean by " add an archive Page indexing my articles ". Archives usually index by date. Its Categories that can index by your articles, given you added them to one. Both Archives and Categories are under Customizing -> Widgets -> Sidebar, for my theme. You can also click on the of the pencils on your sidebar and it will bring you to that location where you can then Add a Widget
0 x
Gone

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Rotasu wrote:It would help to know what theme you using. Also what do you mean by " add an archive Page indexing my articles ". Archives usually index by date. Its Categories that can index by your articles, given you added them to one. Both Archives and Categories are under Customizing -> Widgets -> Sidebar, for my theme. You can also click on the of the pencils on your sidebar and it will bring you to that location where you can then Add a Widget

PenScratch theme

And I mean like a separate page which just lists all my posts in links so people can peruse the articles and decide which if any they want to read rather than have to scroll backwards through the sludge
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Rotasu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N),
日本語 (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1354

Postby Rotasu » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:30 pm

mercutio wrote:
Rotasu wrote:It would help to know what theme you using. Also what do you mean by " add an archive Page indexing my articles ". Archives usually index by date. Its Categories that can index by your articles, given you added them to one. Both Archives and Categories are under Customizing -> Widgets -> Sidebar, for my theme. You can also click on the of the pencils on your sidebar and it will bring you to that location where you can then Add a Widget

PenScratch theme

And I mean like a separate page which just lists all my posts in links so people can peruse the articles and decide which if any they want to read rather than have to scroll backwards through the sludge

For that you might have to do it yourself. You want people to see
Table of Content:

Post #1 (title)
Post #2 (title)
etc
Right?

You would have to create a post then edit it every time you post a new article and add that post to a page(parent page) at the top of your blog. Since you are using the same theme as me, I can tell you I dont think this theme can do what you want. I have seen some theme have a dropdown index for their Archives but I just played around on my blog and couldnt get.
0 x
Gone

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Rotasu wrote:
mercutio wrote:

PenScratch theme

Table of Content:

Post #1 (title)
Post #2 (title)
etc
Right?

You would have to create a post then edit it every time you post a new article and add that post to a page(parent page) at the top of your blog. Since you are using the same theme as me, I can tell you I dont think this theme can do what you want. I have seen some theme have a dropdown index for their Archives but I just played around on my blog and couldnt get.

I found the answer and it's crazily simple

It's called short codes

You just type [archive] or another short code in the text box of the page and it actions the short code

I hAve never heard of such a thing
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:01 pm

Rotasu wrote:
mercutio wrote:

PenScratch theme

Table of Content:

Post #1 (title)
Post #2 (title)
etc
Right?

Click my site below if you wanna see the short code archive in action

Was simple once I found out how
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Return to “General Language Discussion”