General discussion about learning languages
reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: Learn all 24 EU languages

Postby reineke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:27 pm

mercutio wrote:I have an alternative suggestion

24 people each choose one language and learn it over a year all documented on a central blog and YouTube channel from zero knowledge of the chosen language till "completion" in a year

That would be realistic and really interesting

Even meet and have a Party after!

12 will choose Spanish, 6 will study French and the remaining 6 will go for German, Italian etc.
2 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:29 pm

reineke wrote:

24 people each choose one language and learn it over a year all documented on a central blog and YouTube channel from zero knowledge of the chosen language till "completion" in a year

12 will choose Spanish, 6 will study French and the remaining 6 will go for German, Italian etc.

No you misinterpreted what I meant

I mean 24 people get together and each choose one of the eu languages

"A full set" of 24 people one language each

24 different languages
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:33 pm

mercutio wrote:
reineke wrote:

24 different languages

You'll still end up with many volunteers for the top 6 languages and no takers for other languages. I hope I'm wrong and wish you fun with this project.

Edit: Heck, dibs on Spanish!
1 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:36 pm

reineke wrote:
mercutio wrote:
reineke wrote:

24 different languages

You'll still end up with many volunteers for the top 6 languages and no takers for other languages. I hope I'm wrong and wish you fun with this project.

Edit: Heck, dibs on Spanish!

I'm not offering to do this challenge lol

I'm someone more than happy to be mediocre at one language haha

I struggle being bilingual

I was offering my suggestion to others, the challenge could start when the 24 are found maybe

Who knows!
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby reineke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:54 pm

mercutio wrote:

I was offering my suggestion to others, the challenge could start when the 24 are found maybe

Who knows!

And I'm ready to join any challenge for at least a day or two. I don't think the OP is considering any alternatives so let's get back to the original topic.
1 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:56 pm

reineke wrote:
mercutio wrote:

Who knows!

And I'm ready to join any challenge for at least a day or two. I don't think the OP is considering any alternatives so let's get back to the original topic.

Maybe the op should consider alternatives?

I'm concerned about the mental strain and frustration which attempting to learn 24 will entail

And saying there's many ways to do an eu related language challenge

Really is learning 24 fun? It's more like a world record attempt than fun surely? It seems a feat of endurance and self control?

I'm just worried ts is taking on too much
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:46 am

24 can be fun, but you need to actually have a reason for each (beyond their official status). Out of these, I'm obsessed with one, love 5, really like 5, (aiming to) have input in 4, am fascinated by 3, can appreciate 3, have some negative associations with 2... and then there's English.

(ironically after categorizing the languages I got 23... forgot Spanish :D)

In other words, I currently don't have a good reason to learn 8 of the languages, though I think eventually I'll give at least Lithuanian a try. And it will soon be 11 years since I started Finnish. Sure, I've been learning some languages that are not on the list, but I'm still very new to the "input 4", though all are related to my very strong languages.

I'm generally not concerned over "spreading myself too thin", but I really don't see how I could've learned 8 more languages over these years.

And yeah, would be great if you started some European challenge :D I only know this one... and before the Euro 2012 (football championship) I also decided to do a 6 week challenge in the language of the country that wins (Spanish).
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:26 am

One of the reasons I'm extremely skeptical of this project is that I haven't seen the slightest discussion of what learning strategies or methods will be used for any languages. I personally believe that for B1 proficiency endpoints in the languages here, the order of learning of the languages is largely irrelevant beyond getting the well known languages out of the way first. So Russian, Polish, French and Spanish can be despatched quite quickly.

Time is of the essence. It's been nearly a week since this lofty goal was announced here. What has happened since? Nothing, it seems to me.
Last edited by s_allard on Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:30 am

I have been rolling this over in my head. I don't know if this is an interesting thought or not, but I wonder if it was ever considered to spend a considerable first portion of time learning ALL the languages to a certain level? As it has been pointed out, it is very tiring to go back to basics. I can't even imagine doing that every 6 months so.. would it be sensible to try and spend the first, maybe 2-3 years, bringing each language to A1+ with a robust SRS deck that possibly includes all the audio/phonetic helps you need to sort out the pronunciation for all the languages, and a good portion of the grammar, and then begin studying more carefully in rotations while maintaning the A1 level of the untouched languages?
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:06 am

Serpent wrote:24 can be fun, but you need to actually have a reason for each (beyond their official status). Out of these, I'm obsessed with one, love 5, really like 5, (aiming to) have input in 4, am fascinated by 3, can appreciate 3, have some negative associations with 2... and then there's English.

(ironically after categorizing the languages I got 23... forgot Spanish :D)

In other words, I currently don't have a good reason to learn 8 of the languages, though I think eventually I'll give at least Lithuanian a try. And it will soon be 11 years since I started Finnish. Sure, I've been learning some languages that are not on the list, but I'm still very new to the "input 4", though all are related to my very strong languages.

I'm generally not concerned over "spreading myself too thin", but I really don't see how I could've learned 8 more languages over these years.

And yeah, would be great if you started some European challenge :D I only know this one... and before the Euro 2012 (football championship) I also decided to do a 6 week challenge in the language of the country that wins (Spanish).

Very curious about the nature of the negative associations as I've certainly had negative associations in the past and it's a subject I've thought about quite a lot
0 x

www.thelanguagequest.com

Return to “General Language Discussion”