Which language would you add/remove to/from the United Nations?

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Which language would you add/remove to/from the United Nations?

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:56 am

Dylan95 wrote:Turkish and Japanese. Potentially Swahili or Indonesian as well.

Remove them? Or add them?
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:52 am

rdearman wrote:
Dylan95 wrote:Turkish and Japanese. Potentially Swahili or Indonesian as well.

Remove them? Or add them?

Add them.
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Can't remove what isn't there ;)
4 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:50 am

sillygoose1 wrote:They don't really say how they come to choose them. I'm assuming it was based off of first the Allies main languages of WWII (English, French, Russian), then they chose the others to account for how many countries each was spoken in and by how many people.

"How were the official languages chosen?
Chinese, English, French, Russian, and Spanish have been official languages since the founding of the United Nations in 1945 (General Assembly Resolution 2 (1) of 1 February 1946, Annex, paragraph 1). English and French have been the United Nations’ working languages since the same time. Arabic was added as an official language by a decision of the General Assembly in its resolution 3190 (XXVIII) of 18 December 1973."
The UN replaced the the League of Nations. The official languages of the League of Nations were English and French, the additional languages of the UN may have been a response to the experience acquired during the operation of that organisation.
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Cavesa wrote:I think people are not after the UN languages, as the UN is simply less attractive as something to identify with. I am definitely not gonna enter any discussion on what is the purpose or agenda of the UN on this forum, neither for it or against it. But it is obvious the UN doesn't bring the "I am a unitednationer" sentiment, which would attract language learners to learn the six languages. "I am european" is an identity bringing people to learn the EU languages, at least a few of them. There are other examples but this is the best one.There are also people identifying with or passioned about the middle east, the mediteranean, scandinavia, southeast asia, the former A-U empire, and so on. The UN is simply too distant from the individual people to evoke such an emotion.

What is "the former A-U empire"? The Austro-hUngarian Empire? The Abbasid & Umayyad Caliphates? I looked at Wikipedia's List of empires and I couldn't find something matching well.

A decade ago, in a now-defunct language forum I was a regular in, there was this guy from Toronto who had gotten very much into world politics when he was a teenager and was studying the other five languages. He got tired of it all while studying Political Science at university, and now he's in an MD program to become a doctor (specifically a psychiatrist, I think?). He actually influenced me into learning them as well at the time, but I never found the will to get into Russian...
1 x

aquarius
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Spanish (a bit), Catalan (a bit), Polish (learning), Slovak (a bit)

Postby aquarius » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Ser wrote:
Cavesa wrote:I think people are not after the UN languages, as the UN is simply less attractive as something to identify with. I am definitely not gonna enter any discussion on what is the purpose or agenda of the UN on this forum, neither for it or against it. But it is obvious the UN doesn't bring the "I am a unitednationer" sentiment, which would attract language learners to learn the six languages. "I am european" is an identity bringing people to learn the EU languages, at least a few of them. There are other examples but this is the best one.There are also people identifying with or passioned about the middle east, the mediteranean, scandinavia, southeast asia, the former A-U empire, and so on. The UN is simply too distant from the individual people to evoke such an emotion.

What is "the former A-U empire"? The Austro-hUngarian Empire? The Abbasid & Umayyad Caliphates? I looked at Wikipedia's List of empires and I couldn't find something matching well.

May I try to help?

https://sh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austro-Ugarska

Austro-Ugarska (na nemačkom Österreich-Ungarn, na mađarskom Osztrák-Magyar Monarchia) bila je centralnoevropska država od 1867. do 1918. godine...

So the Austro-Hungarian Empire might be the right answer, you just have to look in wikipedia in all the languages that were spoken in the respective empire ;-).
3 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:04 pm

if English is to be kept, it should be spoken in an amusing/incomprehensible local accent/dialect - West Country, Brummie, Geordie, Glaswegian, etc. - on a weekly-rotating basis.
4 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:10 am

Reminder:
Arabic (Modern Standard Arabic)
Chinese[1] (Written character: Simplified Chinese)
English (British English with Oxford spelling)[2]
French
Russian
Spanish

The official language of United Nations will be the translation... With new translation technologies coming, the need of a choice of languages will shrink and disappear. Umberto Eco told us about the language of Europe, the translation, but we have to replace "Europe" by "world"!
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:33 pm

badger wrote:if English is to be kept, it should be spoken in an amusing/incomprehensible local accent/dialect - West Country, Brummie, Geordie, Glaswegian, etc. - on a weekly-rotating basis.

And don't forget the International Broken English. That's the version most non natives use among themselves and understand perfectly, while struggling to understand and be understood by the natives. :-D Make the natives learn and use this dialect too, when it's the Broken English's turn :-D
2 x

an onyme
Yellow Belt
Languages: American (N); le franc,ais (B1-C1); 한구거 (B1); 忠文 (A2), ዓማርኛ (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15312

Postby an onyme » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:59 am

A regularized English that is pronounced as written, kills off the vestigial nub of conjugation that remains in strong verbs and non -s pluralization, and allows phrasal verbs to take whatever preposition you want might be a good idea. But I is not sure how well persons will put out with it if you mess in a language that they is used on.
1 x
Just your friendly neighbourhood onyme

Return to “General Language Discussion”