General discussion about learning languages
Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Sat May 07, 2016 10:50 am

Hello. I couldn't find an introduction forum or thread, I hope no one minds me posting in here.

I'm a new member and just wanted to say hi. So Hi. I am Norwegian and English is my second language. I'm currently learning French, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, Irish and just starting with Konkani. I also want to learn Hindi, Marathi, Guaraní, Nahuatl, Basque, Arabic and Russian some time in the future. Obviously my goal isn't to be completely fluent in all of these.

Thanks for making this great forum. Looking forward to learning lots of things.
4 x

L-1809
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish, Norwegian and French amongst others.

Re: New member

Postby L-1809 » Sat May 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Hei!
I'm also pretty new (joined yesterday!)
Seems like a good forum and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with topics!

One question, how do you keep up with all the languages you're learning? I'm currently studying 3 but it's so time consuming at the moment (in a great way of course) that I don't have time for another language on top.
3 x

Souzasmatheus
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C1-2), Italian (lower intermediate)
Wishlist: German, Russian, French, Mandarin and perhaps Greek

Postby Souzasmatheus » Sun May 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Hey! I too haven't been on this forum for long, but I can already see how great it is. Welcome to the community! And, by the way, my mother tongue is Portuguese, so if you need any help, just let me know.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun May 08, 2016 5:58 pm

Welcome to the forum, all above! I still feel like a new member sometimes, although I'm not. It's a great place, just get stuck in and make yourselves at home :)
4 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Sun May 08, 2016 7:01 pm

Welcome everyone! Allow me to gently remind you to update your language info on your profiles so we can see which language(s) you speak/are learning/have learned in the past etc. :)
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun May 08, 2016 7:12 pm

Welcome!

By the way, which language was the inspiration for such a crazy and fascinating nickname? I'm afraid my only chance to ever spell that correctly will be ctrl+c, ctrl+v :-D
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun May 08, 2016 7:15 pm

I'll just call them Till. And in my mind associate it with Lindemann.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sun May 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Hello. I couldn't find an introduction forum or thread, I hope no one minds me posting in here.

I'm a new member and just wanted to say hi. So Hi. I am Norwegian and English is my second language. I'm currently learning French, Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese, Irish and just starting with Konkani. I also want to learn Hindi, Marathi, Guaraní, Nahuatl, Basque, Arabic and Russian some time in the future. Obviously my goal isn't to be completely fluent in all of these.

Thanks for making this great forum. Looking forward to learning lots of things.

Hello Tillumadoguenirurm (or "CTRL-C, CTRL-V", as I shall now think of you... :) ). Just got back from your lovely country (Bergen via Oslo...sadly a very short trip but incredibly fabulous weather! (Last time I was in Bergen I was wearing about 6 layers...)).
1 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Mon May 09, 2016 10:00 pm

L-1809 wrote:Hei!
I'm also pretty new (joined yesterday!)
Seems like a good forum and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in with topics!

One question, how do you keep up with all the languages you're learning? I'm currently studying 3 but it's so time consuming at the moment (in a great way of course) that I don't have time for another language on top.

Hei! It looks like a lot, doesn't it? I have a lot of time to use on this kind of thing, and I don't do all of the languages every day. I can read the latin ones with varying degrees of understanding so the time I currently spend on them is spent reading and looking up vocabulary.

The Irish one tends to turn up at random and I ignore everything else for a while.

With Konkani (Romi), I'm just starting. It's probably the one most time-consuming at the moment because of having to learn and/or decipher from limited resources while waiting for something better that I've been promised.

The list looks more interesting than it is, I'm convinced that there would be more learning if I stuck to only a few of the languages, but I don't have that kind of discipline I'm afraid. ;)

Souzasmatheus wrote:Hey! I too haven't been on this forum for long, but I can already see how great it is. Welcome to the community! And, by the way, my mother tongue is Portuguese, so if you need any help, just let me know.

Thanks! That's very kind.
0 x

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 pm

Cavesa wrote:Welcome!

By the way, which language was the inspiration for such a crazy and fascinating nickname? I'm afraid my only chance to ever spell that correctly will be ctrl+c, ctrl+v :-D

Lol, I have no idea. Decapitated Latin + Faux Germanic gobbledygook of some kind. The first username I tried was taken and I couldn't think of anything else. I was picturing a dog running over a cropped field when I typed it if that helps at all. ;)

Montmorency wrote:
Tillumadoguenirurm wrote:Hello. I couldn't find an introduction forum or thread, I hope no one minds me posting in here.

Hello Tillumadoguenirurm (or "CTRL-C, CTRL-V", as I shall now think of you... :) ). Just got back from your lovely country (Bergen via Oslo...sadly a very short trip but incredibly fabulous weather! (Last time I was in Bergen I was wearing about 6 layers...)).

Aha, you were in luck then! Bergen is great, but the weather isn't always.

Nice to meet you all. :)
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”