General discussion about learning languages
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: New member

Postby Ogrim » Tue May 10, 2016 8:49 am

Welcome from me as well, a Norwegian in exile :) .

I am curious: Why Konkani? I admit to not having heard about it before, but now I know that it is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in and around Goa in India. You are the first person I know of who has this language on their list.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu May 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Hello all! Also new here. Been a language geek since I was young. Been lucky enough to "work" with language for many years. (Doesn't mean I'm good at them.)

I've studied at various levels throughout my life: Russian, Spanish, Cornish, Irish, Esperanto, Middle Egyptian, Latin, Old English, BCS, Slovene, Czech, German, Turkish, Kyrgyz...I might be missing some.

Glad to find this forum, and look forward to meeting and interacting with you all!

Cheers,
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Mayowa
Languages: English(N)
Studying: Yoruba, Japanese, Korean
Maybe in the future learn: Mandarin, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Persian/Farsi, Arabic

Postby Mayowa » Thu May 12, 2016 11:07 pm

Hi everyone, I'm new here as well. I am a native English speaker that is learning Yoruba, Japanese, and Korean. I look forward to seeing everyone's progress.
1 x
YOR Films : 0 / 4500 YOR Books : 0 / 2500
JP Films : 0 / 4500 JP Books : 0 / 2500
KR Films : 0 / 4500 KR Books : 0 / 2500
EN Books : 0 / 2500 EN Output : 0 / 25000

Tillumadoguenirurm
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby Tillumadoguenirurm » Sat May 14, 2016 10:23 am

Ogrim wrote:Welcome from me as well, a Norwegian in exile :) .

I am curious: Why Konkani? I admit to not having heard about it before, but now I know that it is an Indo-Aryan language spoken in and around Goa in India. You are the first person I know of who has this language on their list.

Hi, Ogrim!

I have more excuses than real reasons for learning Konkani. I almost moved to Goa years ago, I wanted to learn another Indian language than Hindi, it's written at least some of the time in letters I can already read, I liked both the way it looked and sounded, and both the language(s) and area has an interesting history. To clarify, I'm learning the Goan Konkani that is usually written in roman script.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konkani_in_the_Roman_script
Last edited by Tillumadoguenirurm on Sun May 15, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

scropp

Postby scropp » Sat May 14, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi all,

I just found out this website today, I am studying German, using Pimsleur and working on German III. Nice to see you all.

-Scropp
1 x

Tellefer

Postby Tellefer » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 pm

Tellefer;
Hi! I'm a new member and this is my first post. I'm somewhat confused about where to begin: maybe, here? I am an American and live in
Albuquerque, New Mexico. I speak American English. Registering for this forum was also a bit confusing, since the choice listed was
"British English". While I did spend sometime in the UK, I do not speak British English. I'm quite old (86) and, therefore, mostly from the last century. I spent a year in Germany in 1950 during my military service and spent the next two years in Paris.
Languages I speak: French (MA); German (BA); Spanish (continental) (BA); some Portuguese (continental) and some Italian. I was a public school teacher, which gave me the summers off. We usually would spend two months or more somewhere in Europe each summer. I am originally from South Dakota, and spoke Lakota until I left the state when I was eighteen. I have been to a few powwows during visits through the years and still understand the language, though it seems to have changed a bit. There aren't really many native Lakota who speak the language anymore. There are three dialects of the language: Dakota, Lakota and Nakota. At one time the largest number of speakers were the Dakota, which is why the state is called South Dakota. Around 1863, a band of the Dakota rebelled against the government agent (called the "Indian Agent) who was supposed to be distributing the supplies to the tribal members. He was, of course,
not doing the job honestly, a common practice among many of the Indian Agents on most of the reservations. During the rebellion in 1863,
the Indian Agent and a number of white people were killed. A great number of the Dakota were hanged because of this. Afterwards, many of the Dakota fled to Canada, although there are still some Dakota speakers in South Dakota and Nebraska. Today the largest number of
native speakers in South Dakota are Lakota. (I've never met a Nakota speaker).
Gee, this is pretty long! Sorry! I just happen to have quite a lot of sympathy for the Lakota/ Dakota people. No, I'm not a Lakota.

If I post again, I'll try to be brief and have something more interesting to say. I do enjoy the forum.

Thanks, Tellefer.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”