Cambridge Greek Play- meetup?

General discussion about learning languages
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Cambridge Greek Play- meetup?

Postby jeffers » Mon May 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Every 3 years the Cambridge Greek Play http://www.cambridgegreekplay.com/ puts on a performance of ancient Greek plays performed in ancient Greek, which is an amazing thing to do in this day and age. This year they are performing a double bill of Lysistrata and Antigone (common theme here of women and power), and the performances are taking place on 12-15 October.

I was thinking it might be fun to meet up with other language enthusiasts from the forum and see the Saturday performance together. Any interest from UK members (or overseas members willing to travel for such a performance)? For the record, I'm thinking about going to both the Friday and Saturday performances.

(I don't think this is the right board, but actually we don't seem to have a board for this sort of thing.)

EDIT: rdearman - Fixed the link.
EDIT: Jeffers - fixed the fix (it seems to need www to work) :lol:
Last edited by jeffers on Mon May 02, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Yuurei
Green Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Latin, Italian
Studying: Japanese, Chinese, Korean
Maintaining: French, Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1721

Re: Cambridge Greek Play

Postby Yuurei » Mon May 02, 2016 1:59 pm

Damn, that's awesome. I'd never heard of it before, but now I totally want to go. *__* And going together with a couple of fellow language geeks? Even better! I'll have to figure out the best way to go about things, seeing how I'm not from the UK, but I somehow decided that 2016 will be my year of crazy language adventures, so this totally fits the theme. :lol:

(Of course, now I feel the urge to get started on learning Ancient Greek immediately. =x)
1 x

Delodephius
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaking: Slovenčina (N), Српски (F), English (C2);
Understand: Čeština (B2), Македонски (B2), Slovenščina (B1);
Learning: Русский (B1), Old Slavonic;
Dabbling: German, Polish, Latin, Cl. Greek, Hebrew

Re: Cambridge Greek Play

Postby Delodephius » Mon May 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Speaking of Ancient Greek, I uploaded this video of someone reading Ancient Greek correctly. :D
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Cambridge Greek Play- meetup?

Postby jeffers » Mon May 02, 2016 9:18 pm

For a bit more information, it seems that in these performances they have been opting for a serious play and a comedy. Lysistrata is the comedy and it is very racy. I actually don't know much about Antigone, but as of today I own a paperback copy of the Greek text.

If you are wondering whether you can understand it, from what I understand they display subtitles on video screens during the performance. I can't imagine how well that would work, but the audience seems to enjoy it. Here's a video of their performance of Aristophanes' The Frogs from 3 years ago:
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Cambridge Greek Play- meetup?

Postby smallwhite » Mon May 02, 2016 11:03 pm

jeffers wrote:ancient Greek plays

Awww, how I'd love to go! I took ancient Greek history in high school and ancient Greek culture in university.

jeffers wrote:(I don't think this is the right board, but actually we don't seem to have a board for this sort of thing.)

I think "Language Programs and Resources" if you consider this a resource just like movies and TV drama, or "Travel and Culture" as drama is part of culture.
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “General Language Discussion”