How to handle numbers in your target language?

General discussion about learning languages
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: How to handle numbers in your target language?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:59 pm

Bao wrote:I don't agree that saying phone numbers as two or three digit numbers makes any sense at all. It takes more concentration to en- and decode a three digit number than three single digit numbers that are said with a pause before and after. The only time it makes sense to say two or three digit numbers is when memorizing and recalling a phone number, something we rarely do nowadays. Plus, people who memorized a phone number really well and can rattle it off are often too fast for the listener to write it down, let alone remember it without taking a note ...

I'd say it's fairly common to write down (or say) certain phone numbers in twos or threes. It's easier to memorize fewer "chunks". Many services have "rhyming" phone numbers (e.g. 200 200, 118 118, 114 14, xx 00 00, xx yy xx and so on).
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:44 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I'd say it's fairly common to write down (or say) certain phone numbers in twos or threes. It's easier to memorize fewer "chunks". Many services have "rhyming" phone numbers (e.g. 200 200, 118 118, 114 14, xx 00 00, xx yy xx and so on).

I didn't say it was uncommon, I said it didn't make sense in the context of the way we currently use phone numbers to pronounce them a two- or three digit numbers, rather than as groups of individual digits.
0 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

Alphathon
Orange Belt
Languages: • Scottish English (native)
• German (intermediate; ≈B1)
• Scottish Gaelic (beginner)
• Dutch (beginner)
◦ Doric Scots (passive understanding; I can’t really speak it)
◦ Hopefully some day: NDS/FY, SV, GA, CY, BR?, BSL, ES, FR?, ZH, JA, KO, ≥1 Slavic (RU?, PL/CZ?)

Postby Alphathon » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:09 pm

Bao wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:I'd say it's fairly common to write down (or say) certain phone numbers in twos or threes. It's easier to memorize fewer "chunks". Many services have "rhyming" phone numbers (e.g. 200 200, 118 118, 114 14, xx 00 00, xx yy xx and so on).

I didn't say it was uncommon, I said it didn't make sense in the context of the way we currently use phone numbers to pronounce them a two- or three digit numbers, rather than as groups of individual digits.
Is using 2-3 digit numbers an American thing like saying X hundred instead of Y thousand Z hundred? Here in the UK phone numbers would normally be said simply as blocks of grouped digits unless one of the "blocks" is a round number (i.e. X hundred). In my experience you normally get the area code (which usually starts 01), then two blocks of thee digits, so 01XYXYXYXYX is read as 0-1-X-Y-X, Y-X-Y, X-Y-X. I've heard that when Americans come over here it takes a little getting used to.

There are other numerical differences too, like the insertion of "and" before a unit ending of a >1000 number in British English. Numberphile made a video a while back which talked about some of them.
0 x
German/Deutsch
Der kleine Hobbit: 6 / 19
Star Trek - Das nächste Jahrhundert: 25 / 178
Scottish Gaelic/Gàidhlig
Scottish Gaelic in Twelve Weeks: 9 / 12
Speaking Our Language, Series 2: 7 / 18
Dutch/Nederlands
Duolingo: 37 / 64

Bao
Green Belt
Languages: German, English
Spanish, French, Japanese

Postby Bao » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Alphathon wrote:Is using 2-3 digit numbers an American thing like saying X hundred instead of Y thousand Z hundred? Here in the UK phone numbers would normally be said simply as blocks of grouped digits unless one of the "blocks" is a round number

You're sensible people. I don't know about Americans; but French people group phone numbers as tens (and their numbers are complicated enough), and many Germans as tens and hundreds. Just because we learned to do it that way.
0 x
Megalomanoglot. Bof!

Return to “General Language Discussion”