I LOVE THIS FORUM

General discussion about learning languages
Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Re: I LOVE THIS FORUM

Postby Saim » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:52 am

I enjoy this forum much more than the old HTLAL.

HTLAL for all its activity was never particularly pleasant to look at because of the colour scheme and the fact that only paying members were allowed to have avatars. The lack of avatars combined with the waves of new users constantly asking the same weird questions made it hard for me to see it as a real community.
3 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:44 pm

OK, let's leave HTLAL alone. The title of this thread is "I love this forum", and I would like to mention the possibility of adding pictures which are stored within the system and not somewhere else. I have still some of my own paintings waiting for publication, and when they run out I have more than 30.000 holiday photos stored on my PC - more than enough for several rounds of the Countries Game.

DKfraOven.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:13 pm

vogeltje wrote:When FX created the pro accounts for the money, he made about 10 people mods, and some of the mods hobby was to ban everyone. I think that it was in 2010 then like this in 2011-12.

The bans were mostly when the account profile was "active" so the others didn't know, but it was impossible to log in and the PMs were blocked.

2010 was the year I joined various forums, glad I didn't make many posts there back then.
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:01 pm

Iversen wrote:OK, let's leave HTLAL alone. The title of this thread is "I love this forum", and I would like to mention the possibility of adding pictures which are stored within the system and not somewhere else. I have still some of my own paintings waiting for publication, and when they run out I have more than 30.000 holiday photos stored on my PC - more than enough for several rounds of the Countries Game

The new site is indeed better (except for the font) but it's difficult to leave HTLAL alone since people constitute a forum and the majority of active posters here are also HTLAL members. Also, it is difficult to sever the ties in light of the huge HTLAL archive and, frankly speaking, because of moderators themselves have not severed their ties. Moderator posts imply that the two sites might still merge. We're also liberally borrowing from the old site to make this place a little better.
0 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:11 pm

reineke wrote:
Iversen wrote:OK, let's leave HTLAL alone. The title of this thread is "I love this forum", and I would like to mention the possibility of adding pictures which are stored within the system and not somewhere else. I have still some of my own paintings waiting for publication, and when they run out I have more than 30.000 holiday photos stored on my PC - more than enough for several rounds of the Countries Game

The new site is indeed better (except for the font) but it's difficult to leave HTLAL alone since people constitute a forum and the majority of active posters here are also HTLAL members. Also, it is difficult to sever the ties in light of the huge HTLAL archive and, frankly speaking, because of moderators themselves have not severed their ties. Moderator posts imply that the two sites might still merge. We're also liberally borrowing from the old site to make this place a little better.

I promise to Iversen who's my friend that I won't criticise HTLAL more.

Only I want to agree with reineke before I will finish my contribution to this topic. That the moderators have not severed their ties, for example, one global admin on this forum has posted only 19 posts in total on this forum, 6 posts on 18 July 2015 and the last post was more than 5 months ago. Why is fasulye a moderator here? I suppose becuase she was on HTLAL, which was a different forum.

Now I promise that I won't criticise hthal. It's great that you (Iversen) play the countries game!!!! I will write there this week. Now I am so tired that I am shaking.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:45 am

Wow, an old thread I'm digging up!

I just wanted to echo the sentiment that I love this forum. I'm on here all the time. Okay, maybe I'm obsessed. But I consider a lot of you masters of the craft -- if language learning could be a craft, and not just a hobby or a skill acquired. I devour everything anyone says, even if they're beginners, because I can learn a lot from the question as well as the answers. As a hopeful teacher, I can expect that my students will have the same doubts as newbies here. And as a hopeful teacher, I can expect that I will be as seasoned as some of you someday. It's inspiring to see so much learning going on.

I'm not trying to be negative here, so don't think I am.

I know as a member I don't contribute much but worry, anxiety and minor drama and thus annoyance, but know I appreciate every single contribution to this forum and I like to think of all the regular posters as good acquaintances I regularly meet up with to see a movie or grab a slice of pizza or something. I don't have any friends in real life, so this forum is my social life line and probably why I'm so obsessed. But I genuinely do get invested in what everybody's doing and want to help and joke around, even if sometimes I don't understand the fights that go on. I'm still at the kiddie table when it comes to this activity.

I don't know how to express my gratitude, but I hope I'm on here for years to come, and that this forum and its community continue to thrive for as long as possible.
13 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”