I LOVE THIS FORUM

General discussion about learning languages
Sarnek
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Fluent), Swedish (Advanced-), German (Intermediate-)

Re: I LOVE THIS FORUM

Postby Sarnek » Tue May 10, 2016 4:37 pm

mercutio wrote:Is this one replacing htlal?

Only if you want.
0 x

mercutio
Orange Belt

Postby mercutio » Tue May 10, 2016 5:20 pm

Sarnek wrote:

Only if you want.

but which is more active with the most active users?
0 x
: 5 / 5 language transfer total Spanish :
: 5 / 5 paul noble Spanish :
: 5 / 5 M. Thomas foundation and advanced spanish:
: 5 / 5 Duolingo Spanish :

www.thelanguagequest.com

Sarnek
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (Fluent), Swedish (Advanced-), German (Intermediate-)

Postby Sarnek » Tue May 10, 2016 5:27 pm

mercutio wrote:
Sarnek wrote:

Only if you want.

but which is more active with the most active users?

I'm not sure how HTLAL's doing today, but this one has quite a large and active member base. You can still be a member of both, though, as I'm sure are many others.
0 x

alexkelbo
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), Spanish, Mandarin

Postby alexkelbo » Tue May 10, 2016 5:32 pm

Sarnek wrote:I'm not sure how HTLAL's doing today, ...

I think it's pretty much dead. Also, it took me quite a while to find this forum, so people may still be lingering around HTLAL.
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 pm

HTLAL is, for all practical intents and purposes, a dead forum walking. The moderation team and most of the senior members here left en masse after the last outage. FX Micheloud, the forum owner and administrator was contacted (given ample time) and did not reply. He is still keeping the forum running... for now. This is good because the archive is still useful, however; the life of the forum was in its membership and that membership has moved here. The glitches, the lack of updating, the outages, the lack of transparency and communication on behalf of the HTLAL administrator- FX, led to us making this move here. While you are free to post there, I and most of the senior members no longer visit HTLAL on a regular basis anymore. Here is where you will get the best, and quickest responses from the widest variety of members.

We were all sad to leave HTLAL but the writing was on the wall for a while before the last straw. Now, we have a modern forum, transparent leadership and moderation and the core of what made HTLAL such a useful and nice place to be. All that is here now. :D
13 x

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Thu May 12, 2016 3:14 am

Not exactly replacing, nor duplicating or replicating it. It was originally supposed to be only temporary, but it's done well and grown fast. There's a real, vibrant community here, and an incresing number of dedicated members. I think it hasn't yet found its own distinct identity, but we can all work on that. The forum is young. I hope that it will grow and change in ways that are impossible at HTLAL.

And, by the way, the first birthday is May 14 this Saturday ! :)

Pizza for everyone :D

You'll have to get it yourselves, but still, it counts!
4 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu May 12, 2016 12:07 pm

Meramarina wrote:And, by the way, the first birthday is May 14 this Saturday ! :)

Pizza for everyone :D

You'll have to get it yourselves, but still, it counts!

Great, forum birthday and, here in Europe, the Eurovision Song Contest final on the same day! Definitely pizza for me!
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Thu May 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that if more and more people keep discouraging people from posting in HTLAL, that forum will be even deader than before? That's just so sad... Among the language forums, HTLAL is my Heartland, which is now in ruins...
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Meramarina
Orange Belt

Postby Meramarina » Thu May 12, 2016 3:58 pm

You're not the only one who misses the old HTLAL. I do, too. And please don't be discouraged from posting there! :) It's not what it was, but it's still available.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:44 am

There are still people who subscribe to HTLAL, and since a major trolling crisis some years ago the remaining moderators have to run through the applications to activate them. Basically it is like letting people access a dusty old museum rather than an active cultural center, but without an account there you can't even check the list of active topics, let alone do searches within the system so I still regularly do those activitations even though it feels fairly absurd, given the current activity level.

There is already more activity here than at HTLAL, but our level is 'only' comparable to that of HTLAL in its first years. It remains to be seen whether this forum (or any language learning site) ever will reach the frantic visitor numbers of HTLAL at its maximum around 2011-2012. Maybe times have just changed.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”