Languages: Native: English (US)
C1/C2: Spanish, Italian
B2+: Portuguese
B2: French, Polish
A1: Russian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

Re: super effecting listening comprehension excercise

Postby drp9341 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:26 am

Flickserve wrote:Transcribing in Chinese is difficult due to the different writing system.

I just started with Anki. Made a listening card that repeats the audio of a sentence about ten times automatically. You can always stop it earlier if you want or repeat audio. Autorepeating ten times saves you having to press the repeat audio.

If I can't comprehend, then I press answer and repeat the sentence another x amount of times. (also use this to shadow).

It seems to help. I load up the deck into my smartphone with the podcast which makes it convenient use at odd times of the day. Having the script is essential for the answer.

You can transcribe any language with the IPA. I would seriously recommend to any serious language learner that they learn the IPA. However, I'm not sure how useful it would be with Chinese because of the difficulty inherent in visually representing tones.

I studied the IPA for years in school, so I have that pretty well cemented into my brain and I'm not worried about forgetting it, so sometimes, I create like a "crude IPA," and I use it for a language if I don't want to be all fancy and waste time making neat little IPA notes that my professors would have approved of. Just do what you gotta do to visually represent the sounds. If you got a great system, that's great. If you're just winging it, that doesn't matter. The whole point of transcribing is to create some visual representation of what you're hearing.

It's been a few years since I used this method to be honest. I haven't really needed to. However, the transcribing part isn't super important. It's kind of like the icing on the cake. Take the stuff that works for you and do it. Don't spend anymore energy than necessary trying to do the method I described. If you feel like you're worrying more about your method of study, than you are about acquiring the target language itself, it doesn't matter if the method you're trying to implement is some "voodoo magical language learning routine," you're doing it wrong.

Listening comprehension is a real B***. Just keep hammering away. Daily listening and conversations, even short ones, once or twice a week beats this method I described here. Just keep hammering away. Good luck, and thanks for actually reading what I wrote haha.
1 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:30 pm

Hashimi wrote:
M23 wrote:I'll be curious to hear how your trip to Spain goes with regard to listening comprehension, and to see if you have a similar experience to what my girlfriend and I had. Since we are Americans our ears are accustom to Mexican/Central American/South American Spanish, and I figured Spain Spanish would not be too rough since some of the learning materials I used when I first started learning were made by native speakers from Spain. When we finally got to Spain I discovered that I could hardly understand the vast majority of people that we spoke with. My girlfriend had the same problem and she speaks at a higher level than I do.

If you were visiting Barcelona, then probably what you heard was Catalan not Spanish.

We were in Madrid.
0 x

Flickserve
Orange Belt
Languages: *

Postby Flickserve » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:59 pm

drp9341 wrote:I studied the IPA for years in school, so I have that pretty well cemented into my brain and I'm not worried about forgetting it, so sometimes, I create like a "crude IPA," and I use it for a language if I don't want to be all fancy and waste time making neat little IPA notes that my professors would have approved of. Just do what you gotta do to visually represent the sounds. If you got a great system, that's great. If you're just winging it, that doesn't matter. The whole point of transcribing is to create some visual representation of what you're hearing.

Listening comprehension is a real B***. Just keep hammering away. Daily listening and conversations, even short ones, once or twice a week beats this method I described here. Just keep hammering away. Good luck, and thanks for actually reading what I wrote haha.

Thanks for confirming how hard a task it is. I joined Hellotalk. At my level, I get the other language partners to speak sentences and try to decipher what they are talking about. I felt it beneficial since I dont have a big vocabulary range.
0 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:18 am

I wanted to recommend the program workaudiobook because it has this auto-repeat feature that is very helpful.
http://workaudiobook.com/

I've been learning from youtube vids in spanish that have spanish subs (not automated ones) using this program and others and it's very efficient.
3 x

ironfist
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Different

Postby ironfist » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 am

Legitimate question:

How do you guys not get mad at yourselves when you don't get it?

So you listen to the same thing over and over and over and you don't get it.
1 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 am

ironfist wrote:Legitimate question:

I move on to another thing and come back to the first one when I'm better.

Sometimes you listen to something a zillion times and have no clue what they're saying. If there's no transcript available, the only thing you can do is let it go. Weeks or months later, you can come back to it and suddenly understand the accent/vocab/cultural reference and it's clear as day.
13 x

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm

The key is comprehensible input. If you listen to the same thing over and over again and don't get it, then you should look for something that is a little bit easier to comprehend.

Not sure what language you are learning, but if it is Spanish, and you are a beginner, I wouldn't recommend listening to the video that drp9341 talked about. Save that kind of Mexican Spanish for later on and focus instead on other YouTubers who speak slower, clearer, and with less slang. If you need recommendations let me know and I'll share them in the Spanish only group.
2 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:50 pm

I've learned a foreign language to a high level so I know that it's possible. Also I know from experience that it takes time so I don't stress out about it and just move on to the next sentence/etc or ask on reddit or wherever if it really bothers me. You can't somehow force yourself to understand a sentence that's way beyond your level. I've had multiple experiences in the past a while back where I felt like my japanese comprehension improved when all I did was neglect the language for the past week etc (ie only do anki and not watch much tv) and I attribute that to my brain subconsciously processing the language.

here's a steve kaufmann video about the subconscious process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I-jhccwrlU
1 x

drp9341
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English (US)
C1/C2: Spanish, Italian
B2+: Portuguese
B2: French, Polish
A1: Russian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

Postby drp9341 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:35 am

It's not very fun, it's one of those things I try to avoid needing to do. However, it is really effective.
It's a game. When I was a teenager I was so embarrassed whenever I didn't understand something in Italian. Now that I'm older, I kick myself constantly that I didn't take advantage of those situations; there's so much I could have learned.

If you're actually getting angry, then this isn't the exercise for you. If that's not something you want to do, then you need to adjust your perspective. You're not a native, you will never be a native. There's no shame in that. Accept it. Try to get as close as possible, but beating yourself up for not being able to do something is foolish.
2 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:38 am

drp9341 wrote:...As us language learners know, a word's written form can impact our perception of how it sounds. Our perception of words is affected by our prejudice that derives from how that word is written. It causes us to hear phonemes that aren't present, and causes interference with how we perceive the sounds of a language. This is a result of our brains trying to make what we hear match up with what we think we should be hearing...

I think I know what you are talking about here. Thanks for the tips.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”