Persian, and why you can’t learn to speak it

General discussion about learning languages
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Persian, and why you can’t learn to speak it

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:29 pm

What a coincidence. A great looking basic Spoken Persian course has been recently published in the Czech Republic. And I've met both some natives and people who had lived there, so I might even find conversation practice partners. It has been a tempting language, I hope to have time for this challenge at some point.

I wouldn't have the ambition to speak a dialect perfectly or to understand all of them, I can't speak several dialects in any of my languages either and learning to understand a new one is sometimes a challenge even in these easier languages. And differences between the writen standard and spoken language are everywhere, not just in Farsi.

Let's not forget the original title of the community and the first forum was How to Learn Any Language. Any! :-)
0 x

Dylan95
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently Studying
Russian C1
Uzbek B1
Ukrainian B1~

Previously Studied and mostly forgotten
French
Italian
Latin

Postby Dylan95 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:53 pm

"Persian, and why you can't learn to speak it."

I get that it's difficult, but it's been learned by outsiders before and it will continue to be learned by outsiders. Furthermore, a lot of the reasons you gave can be applied to many other languages.

As someone who knows very little about Persian, I found that to be a very interesting read. But I definitely do not agree with the conclusion.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:23 pm

I agree it's an interesting read. But the conclusion is not correct, as a similar post could be written about most languages.

Btw, I made a very good impression on a classmate just because I knew Persian existed and was written in arabic script just a few weeks ago. You won't get such a reaction for knowing Spanish exists and is written in the Latin script.

And no thanks for this thread. Now I desire to learn Persian again, damn it. I don't have time for it. :-D
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”