What language families are you interested in?

General discussion about learning languages
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: What language families are you interested in?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 pm

sjintje wrote:That's a weird coincidence, because there was some Ari guy on the old forum, except he was committed to only learning one language at a time, none of that wanderlust for him, no sir! Must be a common name in Sweden I guess.

It's the same guy! Being interested in languages from many families and focusing on one at a time isn't contradictory.

And as for myself, I'm interested in many language families. There's always a new language around the corner.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:20 am

Much the same as Jeff, I'm interested in languages from many families. In fact, the greater the variety (and perhaps even more exotic) the better! More recently, I've studied languages with relatively close Indo-European ties, such as French, German, Russian, and Irish (i.e., Romance, Germanic, Slavic, and Celtic families). However I'm also currently delving into the mysteries and delights of languages from much more distant Afro-Asiatic and Polynesian families (e.g., Ancient Egyptian and Hawaiian), and find the linguistic variety, cultural perspectives, and pure challenge of something utterly different very rewarding!!
4 x

Ari
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (native), English (loads), French (much), Spanish (much), Cantonese (fair), Mandarin (fair), Portuguese (a lot), German (mostly passive), Italian (mostly passive), Japanese (beginner).

Postby Ari » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:06 am

Teango wrote:However I'm also currently delving into the mysteries and delights of languages from much more distant Afro-Asiatic and Polynesian families (e.g., Ancient Egyptian and Hawaiian), and find the linguistic variety, cultural perspectives, and pure challenge of something utterly different very rewarding!!

I was really disappointed when I started to study Mandarin and realized how similar it is to English. Which of the languages you've studied did you find the most different from Standard Western European? In what way are they utterly different?
0 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:49 am

Ari wrote:
Teango wrote:However I'm also currently delving into the mysteries and delights of languages from much more distant Afro-Asiatic and Polynesian families (e.g., Ancient Egyptian and Hawaiian), and find the linguistic variety, cultural perspectives, and pure challenge of something utterly different very rewarding!!

I was really disappointed when I started to study Mandarin and realized how similar it is to English. Which of the languages you've studied did you find the most different from Standard Western European? In what way are they utterly different?

Great to see you posting on the new forum, Ari (and forgive my presumption if you're not Ari from HTLAL!) As I mentioned above, I think Ancient Egyptian and Hawaiian are good examples of languages that are very different from others I've studied before. Admittedly, they're still languages, and thereby share many of the same features I've found in other languages over the years, but they're also very challenging in other respects, which is (perhaps somewhat masochistically) quite refreshing.

Hawaiian, for example, requires a very different way of thinking about time and personal space, as well as the world and how everything relates to one another in it. This is fundamental to the way it is traditionally taught and passed on through hula (dance), mele (song), oli (chant), and moʻolelo (storytelling). For example, the Hawaiian language classifies everything into either a-class or o-class to indicate its inalienability of possession (which is not a straightforward topic), as well as using a variety of pronouns, depending on whether they are inclusive or exclusive, and singular, dual, or plural. There are also lots of particles that indicate exactly where and when something is happening in relation to the protagonist and the main characters in a story.

Ancient Egyptian, on the other hand, can often require some Turing-like feats of focus to put together all the orthographic clues and shed light on what initially looked like a short 4-5,000 year-old inscription. And this largely depends on when it's written too, i.e., whether it's written in Old Egyptian, Middle Egyptian, Late Egyptian, or in a cursive form of Demotic, all falling under the umbrella term of "Ancient Egyptian". Similar to Japanese kanji and kana, hieroglyphs (and there are up to 5,000 of these little critters) can indicate both phonetic and semantic meanings. However, they can also provide additional information with regards to the overall context, plurality, pronunciation, and sacredness of a piece of text, in addition to a host of other grammatical and formally pragmatic features required for full interpretation. Ancient Egyptian also uses a highly sophisticated morphological grammar similar to Arabic with consonantal roots and multiple suffixes (including infixes), but I've been told by Arab linguists that this differs considerably from conventional Arabic morphology. In many ways, trying to think like an Ancient Egyptian scribe, and working out the meaning of an extract from the "Book of The Dead", feels more like an esoteric art than a modern science. So all in all, it's a pretty complex language to get one's head around, and whilst I think it's wonderful to connect to a people and culture living so long ago, it's certainly not for the linguistically faint-hearted.
9 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm

sjintje wrote:That's a weird coincidence, because there was some Ari guy on the old forum, except he was committed to only learning one language at a time, none of that wanderlust for him, no sir! Must be a common name in Sweden I guess.
More common in Finland actually :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Delodephius
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaking: Slovenčina (N), Српски (F), English (C2);
Understand: Čeština (B2), Македонски (B2), Slovenščina (B1);
Learning: Русский (B1), Old Slavonic;
Dabbling: German, Polish, Latin, Cl. Greek, Hebrew

Postby Delodephius » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Well, I'm already a fluent speaker of two Slavic languages from two different sub-families (West and South) and I'm pretty competent in Russian, so you'd think I would be into Slavic languages. Well, I was, in high school, I even learned how to read Old Church Slavonic and the Glagolitic alphabet in which I kept a secret journal, but I wrote in Slovak or Serbian, not OCS. Later I got bored with it and more and more attracted to Far East Asian languages, except for a brief period when I was into Indic languages (tried learning Sanskrit and Hindi) and a bit into Persian (enough to learn to read the alphabet). Now I'm all into Japanese, which is a family of its own, well, together with the Ryukyuan languages, so Japonic family?
0 x

OwlPanda
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Vietnamese (B1), Korean (A1).
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=2170

Postby OwlPanda » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:28 am

I'm more interested in a geographic region than in any particular family, since most of the major East Asian languages aren't related.

I could see myself spending the rest of my life studying one language or another from the region, and it'll never be enough. I know for a fact that I'm going to master Vietnamese sooner or later, and then I'll get up to where I want to be in Korean. After that, I'll have a little more freedom to go with whatever I want, because I'll be fluent in everything that is spoken as a first language in my family, but my wife has been thinking about becoming fluent in Mandarin, and if she goes that route, I'll probably join her. Heh, then we could use Vietnamese as our secret code most of the time when we're in public, but we could use Mandarin when we're in an area where people speak Vietnamese.

She's also learning Spanish, but I don't have any drive to learn European languages. That may be because my current workload is enough, though, and I don't want to mark out 600 hours for something that I don't already love before I start.

When I think of it that way, though, Japanese looks more and more appealing, just because it seems so fun!

So, if I learn everything I really want to learn, I'll cover three different families (four if you don't count Korean and Japanese as related).

All of the Chinese borrowings in all of the languages in the reigion make it feel as though they're sort of related, though, even though they technically aren't. That's one of the most important features that makes learning a related language easier, right? You get a bunch of vocabulary for free, and that helps you comprehend stuff faster.
0 x
: 5112 / 10000 Current Vietnamese Course (5112 / 10000)
Glossika reps: 15264
Current reading: Dịch Vụ Giao Hàng Của Phù Thủy Kiki

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:57 am

I started out with the Germanic because I'm Danish and because English is all-pervasive in our society and all our neighbour countries are speaking Germanic languages. And I soon also got involved with the Romance languages, but it took a long time for me to proceed to the Slavic languages even though they also are spoken in our neighbourhood. We were given the impression that all culture since the Romans had been produced in Western Europe, and another eminently comprehensible reason to prefer the Romance languages is that I grew up in a time were the iron curtain was very much a reality. You could visit Yugoslavia without much ado, but the other countries all had visa requirements and bureaucracy invented to keep people from visiting them. The Baltic languages were spoken in places that simply weren't open for tourism at the time, and everybody told us that Finnish were invented by people from Mars for the exclusive use of the native Finns. So the order in which I have moved through the European language families was practical rather than based on liking or disliking any single language.

Even the choice of Indonesian which looks like an exception is based on practical reasons: it has an orthography that makes it possible to learn it from written sources alone (albeit not in the form it is spoken informally by the native speakers), whereas it would take a lot of time to learn Chinese or Japanese because of their arcane writing systems. Right now I have not planned to learn the other Austronesian languages, but Bahasa Melayu is fairly close to Indonesian and seems doable, and I have had a look at some aspects of the grammar of Tagalog some years ago and only decided to drop (or postpone) it because I didn't have a sufficiently good dictionary. As for the other languages in the region there are things like the decorative, but complicated Brahmi-inspired alphabets, the tones and dubious access to resources which makes it more logical for me to continue picking up the remaining European languages one by one.

Right now I'm actively interested in the Germanic, Romance (plus latin), Slavic, Hellenic, Albanese, Zamenhofian and Austronesian families, and I expect to revive my interest in the Celtic languages and to change my vague passive interest in the Baltic, Basque and Finno-Ugrian languages into real operational interest at a suitable moment.
4 x

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Romance languages. I will be happy if I gain a decent fluency in Spanish and French. Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.
0 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

Return to “General Language Discussion”