Re: I love the way he/she speaks

Postby tertrih » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:35 pm

I love the way Stephen Fry speaks!

0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:11 pm

Fixed the code if you don't mind :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:44 pm

Note quite as well known as Richard Burton, Stanley Baker was from a similar background. If he was 30 when it was recorded, this recording must be from around 1958, which probably explains the rather fake "spontaneity" of the conversation which was obviously scripted/rehearsed:
(but this was in the relatively early days of TV):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCUMGLCYCLg

Another demonstration that the speaking of English of a high quality is not the exclusive preserve of the public-school educated elite.

("Mac" was McDonald Hobley, a well-known TV and radio personality of the time).
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:18 pm

Serpent wrote:My second favourite Russian commentator :D I chose him when I had to analyze the speech of a TV host (or politician).

He's my dad's favourite commentator, he loves how much research he does for every match he covers. And a bit more OT, but back when I worked in a bank I saw him up close a couple of times, because he would sometimes come to have lunch with his brother, who was the head of my department :)

Anyway, since colloquial and uneducated speech is expressly allowed, here's a scene from the Kazakhstani Russian language film Сказ о розовом зайце (The Tale of a Pink Hare) [warning: strong language, homophobic slurs, drug use, gun violence, spoilers ;) ]

What struck me about this film is that it has some of the most natural-sounding dialogue in a Russian-language movie. Well, at least to me as someone who grew up in Almaty among the offspring of the nouveau-riche. The character in the black shirt, played by Sanjar Madiev, actually reminds me of a few guys I knew back then in terms of mannerisms.

As for something closer to how middle-class tech-savvy young people in Russia talk, here's an episode of the webshow This is Хорошо starring Stas Davydov [yeah, I know he's actually based in Latvia, but I'm not hearing any Latvian influences in his Russian]

Now for some Japanese. I'm tempted to just leave recordings of some of my favourite anime voice actors and actresses, but since we're looking for authenticity here I feel obliged to mention Shinnosuke Mitsushima, the star of the currently airing anime 僕だけがいない街 (known as ERASED in official translation). He made his career as a live action TV and stage actor and this is his first ever anime role; it shows, but in a good way. There isn't a shortage of male protagonists in anime who are loners, but Mitsushima actually sounds like an adult loner resigned to his fate, and not like the anime character type called "loner", if that makes any sense. So, if you'd like to sound like a depressed 29-year-old pizza delivery guy from Tokyo, look no further for your model voice :D

Also, people who consume Japanese entertainment are probably familiar with the Kansai dialect, or at least its stereotypical version. As an example of a non-stereotyped, non-exaggerated and variegated (in terms of register) performance in Kansai dialect I would like to present the memetically popular ads for the Hot Pepper free coupon magazine, featuring images from films and TV shows humorously voiced over by Kyoto native Takaaki Yamazaki. A word of caution is that some of them sound more authentic than others (in terms of believability of acting): from my experience in Osaka, the ones starting at 1:30, 4:20 and 5:06 are the "realest".

(I actually think that some of the remake videos are even funnier than the original; this one is my personal favourite, although a couple of the added jokes in there depend on knowledge of voice actors from the anime SHIROBAKO).

Okay, I guess I can't resist plugging my favourite VAs, so here's a video of my favourite actor Tomokazu Sugita and favourite actress Kana Hanazawa being silly on stage (and no, I haven't seen the anime they are promoting there, so even I don't get all the inside jokes):
1 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055