Intermediate Spanish resources

General discussion about learning languages
poru
White Belt

Intermediate Spanish resources

Postby poru » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I am looking for Spanish resources of a particular kind. I studied Spanish about four years ago and have retained quite a lot of it. Right now I am probably at a middle-intermediate level, but with the proper review, I could probably boost myself back to high-intermediate. To do so, I think I would require a set of materials that would provide an overview of grammar, yet also be rich in vocabulary. This would essentially function as a sort of review course, before I make my way into more intermediate and advanced materials. Essentially, I would like a sort of re-activating course that would help to bring back to life all of the material I had since forgotten. I am thinking that a Colloquial series book might work well here, but wanted some other ideas before investing in anything.

Thanks everyone.
0 x

James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Re: Intermediate Spanish resources

Postby James29 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

I am thinking the Living Language Beyond the Basics course would be what you need. It is cheap. It has 20 lessons that I would say are intermediate (similar to the second half of Assimil Spanish with Ease). It is not a beginner course so it does not have all the basic stuff. It has good grammar lessons and exercises. The dialogues are nicely done and have quite a bit of vocab.
1 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Try the Centro Virtual Cervantes Aveteca They have graded CEFRL lessons scroll down for B1, B2. They're free. Also the CVC has Lecturas paso a paso for the intermediate level. They're all monolingual. Good luck, poru.
5 x

MCK74
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Studying: Spanish (intermediate) German (beginner) Latin (beginner)

Postby MCK74 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:06 pm

If you want a book that's totally in Spanish, try Aula Internacional - you'd be around level 3 which is the B1 level.
0 x

azul
White Belt
Languages: Native: English; Intermediate: Portuguese, Spanish, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=22849#p22849

Postby azul » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:31 pm

Also, a really fantastic book in Spanish about Spanish history is called Ayer y Hoy. It's geared specifically for learners, and from what I remember it's about an intermediate level maybe a bit higher. It's great because it has the definitions of harder words on the side of the page, and a lot of the more complicated grammar and vocabulary repeats itself so it gets reinforced if you read through the whole thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't offer grammar explanations, so it would need to be a supplement to your other studies. However, the book itself is actually very enjoyable and engaging, so it's definitely useful for vocabulary acquisition and for developing a sense of the language.
1 x
"We are responsible for our dreams."

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:56 pm

azul wrote:Also, a really fantastic book in Spanish about Spanish history is called Ayer y Hoy.

The book sounds interesting, but ... a search for 'Ayer y Hoy' returns a huge list. It means 'yesterday and today', so it covers a lot. A search for Ayer y Hoy historia also is too big. I tried Ayer y Hoy historia libro and got over 12,000,000 Google hits.

Do you have further info such as the author? Thanks.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:40 pm

@Tommus could this be it?

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator ... 47033.page

tommus wrote:
azul wrote:Also, a really fantastic book in Spanish about Spanish history is called Ayer y Hoy.

The book sounds interesting, but ... a search for 'Ayer y Hoy' returns a huge list. It means 'yesterday and today', so it covers a lot. A search for Ayer y Hoy historia also is too big. I tried Ayer y Hoy historia libro and got over 12,000,000 Google hits.

Do you have further info such as the author? Thanks.
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:05 am

Rhian wrote:@Tommus could this be it?

Indeed. That must be it. And why didn't I search on España? Thanks very much.
0 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

azul
White Belt
Languages: Native: English; Intermediate: Portuguese, Spanish, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=22849#p22849

Postby azul » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:05 am

tommus wrote:
Rhian wrote:@Tommus could this be it?

Indeed. That must be it. And why didn't I search on España? Thanks very much.

There are also some older editions of the book on Amazon that are much cheaper, and probably not much different:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_12?k=españa+ayer+y+hoy&sprefix=España+Ayer+
1 x
"We are responsible for our dreams."

Return to “General Language Discussion”