tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: The "my language is the hardest" syndrome

Postby tarvos » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:41 pm

I think Gallisisk is Welsh, but I am not sure. Edit: a search reveals it to be indeed Galician. Welsh is walesisk, apparently, like in Swedish.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Pekoral
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), German (B1), French (A2), Standard Chinese (A2), Japanese (A2), Latin, Akkadian, Sumerian

Postby Pekoral » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:58 pm

andrepleite wrote:
Alphathon wrote:
reineke wrote:
This is very interesting. I find it very hard to read the chart, though. What is the top language? The broken blue line with an empty circle?
Looks like Kroatisk (which I'm guessing is Croatian) to me. I have to agree though - a translation of the axes at least would be nice. (Judging by what I found on Wiktionary Y is something like "number of words" while X is "age in months" but I can't be sure.) Is Gallisisk Galician?

Interesting that there is a boost for most of the languages after 11 and/or 12 months. But what is the difference between Danish and Swedish than? I don't think that cultural differences can explain the strong divergence between both languages after 12 months (assuming that the chart doesn't contain any methodical faults). The vocabulary of both languages should be pretty similiar.

Could it be that memorising and pronouncing Danish words is so much harder than Swedish words? Is it maybe harder to understand and reproduce the Danish words correctly, because of the more mumbling sound of the language (no offense)?

Thought I guess this theory wouldn't explain the differences between AE and BE...

The difference is what makes Danish so hard for people to learn. Swedish and Norwegian are not nearly as hard to actually understand. If we take the word for stomach, it is mage in Swedish, and mage in Danish. In Swedish it is pronounced /mah-geh/ in Danish is is pronounced something like /may'uh/. The word for physician and the word for teacher are two different words læker and lærer but both are pronounced the same /læ'æ'/. The tendency to reduce and slur consonants makes it very hard to understad what words are being said. Swedes and Norwegian usually make fun of Danish, saying it sounds like someone has a potato in their mouth or are very, very drunk, or both.
1 x
pekoral, litterärt verk kännetecknat av den icke avsedda komiska effekt som uppstår ur kontrasten mellan författarens aningslösa banalitet och hans misslyckade ansträngningar att imitera en högstämd eller högtidlig stil.

Marah
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), Spanish (bilingual), English (C2), German (~C1), Italian (~C1), Dutch (~B2), Swedish (~B2), Catalan (~B2), Portuguese (~B2), Danish (~B1),

Studying (B1 and lower): Russian, Mandarin, Polish, Czech , MS Arabic, Moroccan and Egyptian Arabic

Postponed: Japanese, Greek, Indonesian, Hindi, Turkish, Croatian

Postby Marah » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 pm

But is it really true for Danes? Do they really struggle more than other speakers of other languages?
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 pm

I think I heard this some ten years ago (and couldn't believe it, it sounded like a typical language myth). Searching for something like danish children learns their language slower gives a few links, e.g.:
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comment ... ower_than/
https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/200 ... -to-learn/
https://robertlindsay.wordpress.com/201 ... -language/

But I haven't seen the actual study.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

andrepleite
White Belt
Languages: German (N)
English (not as good as I want it to be)
Swedish (~B1)
Spanish (Beginner)

One day (again): Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, Turkish, Esperanto, Korean, Russian, Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi

Postby andrepleite » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:21 am

The difference is what makes Danish so hard for people to learn. Swedish and Norwegian are not nearly as hard to actually understand. If we take the word for stomach, it is mage in Swedish, and mage in Danish. In Swedish it is pronounced /mah-geh/ in Danish is is pronounced something like /may'uh/. The word for physician and the word for teacher are two different words læker and lærer but both are pronounced the same /læ'æ'/. The tendency to reduce and slur consonants makes it very hard to understad what words are being said. Swedes and Norwegian usually make fun of Danish, saying it sounds like someone has a potato in their mouth or are very, very drunk, or both.

Yes, just what I thought. However, you have to keep in mind that one year old children can't read and differences in writing and pronounciation have therefore no influence to their language aquisition.
Furthermore I still think that there is not such a big difference in pronounciation between AE and BE like between Danish and Swedish. Though it would be interesting how "slurred" dialects influence the speed of language aquisition in early years.
0 x
"Der Mensch erschuf die Sprache und überlegte Schriftzeichen und am Ende dieser Kette schrieb er für die BILD-Zeitung." -Danger Dan-

Pekoral
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), German (B1), French (A2), Standard Chinese (A2), Japanese (A2), Latin, Akkadian, Sumerian

Postby Pekoral » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:23 am

andrepleite wrote:

Yes, just what I thought. However, you have to keep in mind that one year old children can't read and differences in writing and pronounciation have therefore no influence to their language aquisition.
Furthermore I still think that there is not such a big difference in pronounciation between AE and BE like between Danish and Swedish. Though it would be interesting how "slurred" dialects influence the speed of language aquisition in early years.

My guess is, that it's the lack of contrasts that can make it hard to understand what is being said. Danish might require more context, and thus a bigger internal corpus, than languages that have more clear pronunciation? My examples were to point out that Danish has removed many elements that Swe and Nor has kept, thus making many words similar. Say stomach, mage, would probably sound alike to me "meg", to with, "med", and other words beginning with m.
1 x
pekoral, litterärt verk kännetecknat av den icke avsedda komiska effekt som uppstår ur kontrasten mellan författarens aningslösa banalitet och hans misslyckade ansträngningar att imitera en högstämd eller högtidlig stil.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:03 pm

I think all parents try to speak clearly to their kids (although many have a curious idea of what 'clearly' means). But of course the kids get a lot of exposure to slurred speech too.
This proves nothing but I'm a big fan of learning through listening, and I've indeed found Danish surprisingly difficult :oops:
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Marah
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), Spanish (bilingual), English (C2), German (~C1), Italian (~C1), Dutch (~B2), Swedish (~B2), Catalan (~B2), Portuguese (~B2), Danish (~B1),

Studying (B1 and lower): Russian, Mandarin, Polish, Czech , MS Arabic, Moroccan and Egyptian Arabic

Postponed: Japanese, Greek, Indonesian, Hindi, Turkish, Croatian

Postby Marah » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:10 pm

I can relate.. but watching Borgen really improved my listening skills though. :mrgreen:
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:03 pm

The biggest reason people struggle is because orthography doesn't mirror actual pronunciation, like in English, French, or even Dutch.
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 pm

I don't find it impossible that Danish children take longer to understand their parents than children from cultures with more clearly pronounced languages, but it would take more than one single report to convince me that this state of affairs continues up through their childhood. How do you actually calculate the vocabulary of a baby? Do you tape everything they say, or do you just believe their parents? And how much nudging is allowed to fathom the murky depths of the most arcane formulations of the kids under scrutiny? So I'll just leave the discussion at that, awaiting more documentation.

One detail should however be mentioned, namely that Danish can be pronounced more or less clearly, and if it is pronounced with all its nooks and crannies then you will find that the orthography isn't too far from the pronunciation. But to say 1½ times as much as the Swedes in a given time interval we have to sacrifice something - and that's comprehensibility for foreigners.

And now I get the heretical thought: maybe the person entrusted with the evalation of the lexical savvy of those Danish kids simply couldn't follow them because they spoke too fast?
10 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”